Intel removing old drivers and BIOS updates

msknight

Reported on ZDNet - https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-to-remove-old-drivers-and-bios-updates-from-its-site-by-the-end-of-the-week/

The downloads are drivers and BIOS updates for Intel desktop components and motherboards the company released in the 90s and early-to-mid 2000s.

Downloads for hundreds of components are believed to have been impacted, from motherboards to NIC cards and graphics cards.

So, Linus is going to have to act quickly if he wants to get his library of old motherboards updated!

This is going to affect the retro community, particularly the gaming folks who use the older hardware to keep their games alive... particularly those that require the hardware for license checking. I guess my shelf of older CD games is going to take a hit. We have until the end of the week. Eek!

RIP. I got a bunch of Pentium II / Pentium III stuff I'll need to download then.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, msknight said:

There are two archives listed in the article near the bottom.

Ah thats good to hear.

Does Intel have storage problems?,

Those drivers don't weigh anything,I don't see why Intel does that.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Well, you can always rely on SDI (Snappy Driver Updater) and Station Drivers to get the old (and new) drivers.

Though lets be realistic here, pre-2000 era are Pentium 3 and 4 level stuff. Who really still uses this when you can get retired Core 2 Duo based workstations literally for peanuts these days if you really want to go for bottom of the barrel cheap stuff? And those will still have support.

6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Though lets be realistic here, pre-2000 era are Pentium 3 and 4 level stuff. Who really still uses this when you can get retired Core 2 Duo based workstations literally for peanuts these days if you really want to go for bottom of the barrel cheap stuff? And those will still have support.

I threw a core2duo away in like 2010-2011 as I didn't know anyone that would have wanted it ?

At the time, most people I knew were upgrading to hex core phenoms (like me), or intels newest i3/i5/i7 lineup. I literally couldn't give it away at the time, so junked it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

This is inevitable, I'm amazed they even kept it that long.  Just as the hardware itself will one day cease to exist, so will the drivers.  Sure, the former is an unavoidable fact of life while the latter is a choice, but it's a choice that shouldn't be seen as evil or unreasonable due to the existence of the former.  Anyone who for some reason cares about and need these things will have made a copy for themselves long ago, and if not, then they're not likely to need it anyway because someone who can't be bothered to save some drivers is very likely also not going to have saved multiple motherboards to go with it, and so when their single one fails, that'll be that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Does Intel have storage problems?,

Those drivers don't weigh anything,I don't see why Intel does that.

Probably it's to de-clutter the search system. Ever try to search for anything on Intel's site? 

Most other vendors ask you for the product id/serial, then present what matches with that serial. Intel doesn't do that.

Also to reduce the support burden. Emails questions/issues will probably drop off if they aren't hosted officially

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

I threw a core2duo away in like 2010-2011 as I didn't know anyone that would have wanted it ?

At the time, most people I knew were upgrading to hex core phenoms (like me), or intels newest i3/i5/i7 lineup. I literally couldn't give it away at the time, so junked it.

Sounds like it was a bad build. I find myself doing more rebuilds of those core 2 duo/quads than any work I've ever done for pc maintenance. If those can still hang after an ssd, ram, and gpu upgrade. Sometimes even new cases.  Then tech is truly stagnant. Pentium 4 would be laughable at this point. I guess its hard throwing away an almost 3ghz quad core with 12mb cache 1333mhz fsb. They did make alot of junky ones though. 

Linus' never going to find that driver for the xeon Phi accelerator card at this rate.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

"Oh I am sorry that you can not find your drivers, guess you will have to buy newer hardware."

...yeah because the people that are using 15+ year old computers really care about needing to be able to download drivers.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Will they though?  Still not seeing specifics on this one.  What is the cutoff?  I’ve got some 2006 era stuff still running and a quadro q series I was hoping to unload.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Will they though?  Still not seeing specifics on this one.  What is the cutoff?  I’ve got some 2006 era stuff still running and a quadro q series I was hoping to unload.

just download the drivers onto a USB and package that with the hardware. though i can't imagine there are going to be a big change in the amount of buyers looking for something like that after this change goes through

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

just download the drivers onto a USB and package that with the hardware. though i can't imagine there are going to be a big change in the amount of buyers looking for something like that after this change goes through

Argh.  Off to freegeek it goes I guess.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I don't have anything that's older than Core2 at this point that I'll need drivers for, but that sucks. Glad to see that mirrors exist, there may still be some people running stuff that old somewhere.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

If this isn't forced obsolescence I don't know what is. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Doesn't the concept of forced obsolescence imply or require the company killing off an otherwise current, non-obsolete product to push people to a newer one?  If they dropped driver support for Z170 boards I'd agree completely but this is hardware from the 90s.  It was already well beyond obsolete on its own before Intel made this decision.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

53 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Doesn't the concept of forced obsolescence imply or require the company killing off an otherwise current, non-obsolete product to push people to a newer one?  If they dropped driver support for Z170 boards I'd agree completely but this is hardware from the 90s.  It was already well beyond obsolete on its own before Intel made this decision.

I could agree with most things, but hardware from the 2000s is still alive and usable. The files aren't large and they could offload the files to Github or similar. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Not on almost 2 decades old products... What you say would be if Intel forced everyone with Core i7 9900K to lose any support for it next year because they really wanted to sell 10990K or whatever it's gonna be called. That would be forced obsolescence. This is going to be mildly annoying for those few users who still use prehistoric system and for those who are nostalgic and run old one for really old games or something. The first ones should really buy a new system in 10+ years time and second ones are probably resourceful enough to dig the drivers anyway from somewhere.