AMD is Making Laptops Affordable - Lenovo Flex 14

JonoT

8 hours ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

This links an "Lenovo Yoga 730" with an i5 8265 right in the title. This flex 14 2-in-1 seems to be available nowhere and Lenove has taken it off of its webage. Are you guys sure things thing can actually be bought?

Honestly I’m getting a laptop this Christmas and I have no clue which I should get. I don’t want to choose the wrong one 

9 hours ago, Results45 said:

CometLake i5 10210u still the same old UHD graphics. Only IceLake has the newer iGPU.

Would this be a good surface go alternative for note taking and PDF as its primary use? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

5 hours ago, Dracarris said:

This links an "Lenovo Yoga 730" with an i5 8265 right in the title. This flex 14 2-in-1 seems to be available nowhere and Lenove has taken it off of its webage. Are you guys sure things thing can actually be bought?

Are you outside of the US? Because for me and others, it links directly to the correct product on the amazon US site.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

5 hours ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Are you outside of the US? Because for me and others, it links directly to the correct product on the amazon US site.

wtf. yes indeed once I use VPN with a US IP, I get the correct product. This is nuts. At least show me a note, wtf Amazon.

8 hours ago, Sharif said:

Would this be a good surface go alternative for note taking and PDF as its primary use? 

i'd say any laptops these days can be use to take not and pdf as its primary use.

just matter of portability and battery life or something like that

On 11/16/2019 at 6:09 PM, TempestCatto said:

Because they charge a reasonable/fair amount for their products. Society (we live in one) sees you as poor if you can't buy the most expensive thing, regardless of actual value. That's why Apple does so well, it's a status symbol. Intel is also a status symbol. People feel more proud to say "I own an iPhone" or "I own an Intel based computer". They don't care that there's far better value out there, they don't care that they can save hundreds or thousands. They simply care about shiny. Elitism, as it's called.

True. A few friends of mine always troll me for getting an AMD desktop system. (Though I have an Intel laptop).

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

I recently ordered by amazon the hp spectre 360, with the i7, 16 GB of Ram and the 4k screen. I found a good deal for 1300 dollars, warranty for next 4 years included.

It will arrive on tuesday. I'm a student and I use mainly the pc for internet, office, matlab, and i needed a pc to read the scientific papers and highlight with the pen. I pointed on the hp spectre for the long battery, since I travel on the bus 1 h to go and back to university to home. I decided to take it just to have something that can last for 3-4 years without big issues. I just need something light and quite to do presentations at lab meetings. The only thing that is very heavy on the pc is if i run Comsol (finite element simulation) but i do it occasionally and i use the server for big stuff. 

Should I take this flex 14 instead of the hp spectre? I'd save 700 bucks basically. 

What do you suggest?  Is the spectre worth the money more in this case? 
does it make tons of noise? or are just the older models?

19 hours ago, Dracarris said:

wtf. yes indeed once I use VPN with a US IP, I get the correct product. This is nuts. At least show me a note, wtf Amazon.

That is seriously weird. Amazon must be having indexing issues. Well, if you search by the product line, you should be able to find it. Good luck!

On 11/16/2019 at 4:43 PM, JonoT said:

Yep, you can with one Dimm, the rest is soldered 

hi

Pumas.EXE has stopped responding...

• CPU
    RYZEN 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    ASROCK B450 PRO 4
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • GPU
    PowerColor RX 5700
  • Case
    Corsair Carbide 275r
  • Storage
    intel 660p 512 GB
  • PSU
    PowerSpec PS650BSM

7 hours ago, JonoT said:

Link has been updated! :)

Thanks! Sorry to jump on you like that. The link indeed works on my end.

Just posted this under the video, but with 3.5k comments will probably be missed, so posting here for completeness

Odd that this laptop doesn't seem to appear on the Lenovo website.

Click on the Amazon US link to check out specs and see - Screen Resolution 1920x1080 pixels, Max Screen Resolution 1440 x 900 pixels, it also has a 256GB NVMe SSD with a rotational speed of 7200, hence never trust Amazon when looking at specs, so select the Model Number and head to Google.
The first link is to a review that talks about an 8GB laptop (OK there could be an 8GB version), which then links back to a different Lenovo laptop with an Intel CPU and double the price, so more crap.
The second link, another similar review to the first and when you click on the 'SEE IT' link to Amazon which should link back to the unit for sale you get 'no results'.
So finally, the third result is the Lenovo site, this will work (yea right) "Sorry, this product is no longer available - Unfortunately the Flex 14 (AMD) Laptop is no longer available", are you kidding me. Next solution copy the model number from Amazon (81SS0005US) into the Lenovo US website search bar, no results, try searching without the US bit incase it's an international model, nope no results. Final try, search for Flex 14 on the Lenovo site, end up finding an AMD Ryzen7 machine with 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD for $30 more than the Amazon one, but OUT OF STOCK.

So is this video an advert for Lenovo or Amazon? Why does this Amazon Lenovo laptop not appear to exist on the Lenovo US website?

Does LTT every actually check that these things are real and make sense?

Perhaps Amazon is producing fake model numbers but the laptop doesn't seem to exist on the Lenovo site either.

Surely the primary link provided with a Lenovo sponsored video should be to the Lenovo product page, with a secondary link to the Amazon page, or is the Amazon Affiliate kickback worth too much cash?

Perhaps LTT ought to check that the info they are linking to is actually correct, and when the specs on a page link that a sponsor is supplying actually contradict themselves they should point it out (Screen Resolution 1920x1080 pixels, Max Screen Resolution 1440 x 900 pixels)?

On 11/17/2019 at 4:09 AM, TempestCatto said:

Intel is also a status symbol.

Intel? Status symbol? Are you serious?!!

That little sentence shows just how insecure an average AMD user feels about his or her machine!

?

I bought one of those Lenovo laptops with an AMD Ryzen 3500u for 500 euro. The performance and battery are fine. Too bad the screen is hideous, even by 2011 standards. And that's the issue with most AMD laptops, they cut too many corners. Mind you, I live in France and I don't have the plethora of choices Americans have. To have a laptop with a decent screen, you have to purchase something over 1000 euro. I think it's absurd, because a good IPS laptop pannel doesn't cost 500 euros. 

If AMD wants to make any sort of impression on the laptop market, they should avoid selling laptops with awful screens at all costs. It just spoils the whole experience like having a baby cry during a movie. I'll gladly pay an extra $100 for a screen that doesn't suck. 

Yawn, took Linus long enough to review one. Ive been waiting since November 2017 when the Envy X360 dropped with Ryzen 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

8 hours ago, Man said:

Intel? Status symbol? Are you serious?!!

it is when you have the biggest internet pp in term of gaming system. 

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I bought one of those Lenovo laptops with an AMD Ryzen 3500u for 500 euro. The performance and battery are fine. Too bad the screen is hideous, even by 2011 standards. And that's the issue with most AMD laptops, they cut too many corners. Mind you, I live in France and I don't have the plethora of choices Americans have. To have a laptop with a decent screen, you have to purchase something over 1000 euro. I think it's absurd, because a good IPS laptop pannel doesn't cost 500 euros. 

If AMD wants to make any sort of impression on the laptop market, they should avoid selling laptops with awful screens at all costs. It just spoils the whole experience like having a baby cry during a movie. I'll gladly pay an extra $100 for a screen that doesn't suck. 

Lenovo decides what screen goes to the laptop, not AMD. I doubt AMD will have much to say how laptop manufacturers configurate their products.

I have a Zenbook 14 with also a 3500u. The screen is decent for indoor use. Like you mention, very few laptops under €1000 will have 350 -400 nits bright screen, even for laptops with Intel CPUs.

13 hours ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Thanks! Sorry to jump on you like that. The link indeed works on my end.

No big deal, the link was provided by the brand so they corrected it!

So what games is this thing expected to run at decent frame rates? Anyone with experience with it have a list?

3 hours ago, Codewow said:

So what games is this thing expected to run at decent frame rates? Anyone with experience with it have a list?

Not totally sure, what games exactly are you thinking and I might be able to roughly guess.  If you're primarily planning on gaming then I'd recommend looking into something like the Acer Nitro 5.  You can get a model with a 1050Ti for about the same price that will have about double the gaming performance.  Only problem is you'll have to deal with things like more weight, less battery life, and slightly inferior build quality.