Format flashdrive from exFat to FAT32 win 10?

MarleysBeard

I have a 128 gb flash drive that I'd like to format to FAT32. Its currently exFAT.

Windows 10 only offers exFAT and NTFS as formatting options.

I've seen some various programs that claim to do this but I hesitate to download software unless I'm positive its safe.

I need FAT32 for a mobo BIOS update.

Windows most likely isnt able to format a drive this size with FAT32. You can try software like FAT32 Format but if you're worried about downloading third party programs, theres always GParted if you got a Linux installation lying around.

are you sure its not just your flashdrive? I use windows 10 and right clicking and selecting format shows FAT32 as an option just fine

15737480448888209266585775064307.jpg

2 minutes ago, Miseiko said:

are you sure its not just your flashdrive? I use windows 10 and right clicking and selecting format shows FAT32 as an option just fine

Because Windows is set to not be able to format a drive with FAT32 past 32GB which in your case is the limit. (Microsoft likes NTFS)

2 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Because Windows is set to not be able to format a drive with FAT32 past 32GB which in your case is the limit. (Microsoft likes NTFS)

ahh never encountered that issue, didnt see a point in higher than 32gb on a flash since we can get eternal hardrives pretty easy nowadays, good to know though.

Yeah I got this 128 on sale for 12.99 minus a $5 coupon it came out to 7.99 for 128GB. Didn't even consider that it would be an issue formatting it when I bought it. I don't have access to Linux.

The only reason to choose FAT32 is for compatibility with older operating systems (which may still have trouble reading FAT32 >32GB disks).  Or because you are preparing a EFI SecureBoot WinPE boot disk for Imaging, Recovery, or other operations.

Since you are using it for BIOS updates, size is not important, see the CODE block below, this will let you create a bootable EFI GPT USB.

Otherwise stick with NTFS, or ExFAT.  Both are much more reliable for the computer.

However, if you are intent on FAT32 Free & Native option below.

Open a CMD Prompt with "Run as Administrator"

Diskpart
List Disk (find the USB drive and note its disk #)
Select disk #
clean (this will ERASE partition tables on the drive and prepare for partitioning/formatting)
convert GPT
create partition primary size=30000
format fs=fat32 quick label=% (% is what you want to name the disk)
active
assign letter=% (pick an empty drive letter)

Windows will not let you exceed 32GB for FAT32, so even with a 64GB disk you are now wasting 32GB of space.  Nor will Windows allow you to have multiple partitions on Removable disks. An utter pain in the but Microsoft is on this.

If you want FAT32 with more than 32GB of storage, you will need something like RUFUS to create the disk.  RUFUS can also be used to create a EFI bootable FAT32 drive that is more than 32GB.  There are other tools that do the same thing.

But there are good reasons why MS does not allow formatting drives larger than 32GB as FAT32.  And I don't consider "because I want one" to be valid.  You have a valid reason in your BIOS update.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.