[CHALLENGE!] Linus I challenge you to build a PC without using any parts made in china.

Zeniv
1 minute ago, Zeniv said:

Like the headline says. I challenge you to produce a PC made with no chinese manufactured parts at all. 

I'll challenge you to give a good reason to bother.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I'll challenge you to give a good reason to bother.

I would love to know if it can even be done. Where would you source the parts?? It would be a hell of an accomplishment.

Just now, Epimetheus said:

Challegne

lol I thought about keeping it thx

What if the parts are made in Hong Kong and not in mainland? There is no reason to become political in a tech forums/Tech Channel. Most electonical parts are made in china so this would be almost impossible as even the smallest capacitors could be made in china thus even if you find X motherboard they might use a Chinese component. 

2 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

What if the parts are made in Hong Kong and not in mainland? There is no reason to become political in a tech forums/Tech Channel. Most electonical parts are made in china so this would be almost impossible as even the smallest capacitors could be made in china thus even if you find X motherboard they might use a Chinese component. 

I would be interested to know what could be created. Many items are made elsewhere but they may not be top of the line. I know that there are a lot of eastern european manufactures and Korea still makes some components. In America they still have vendors for all american made components for the military. It may not be the best there ever was but it would be crazy interesting to see a computer without china.

Both Intel and AMD processors have parts or assembly in China. So we are now out of the Common processor companies. So we must find a Processor that isn't manufactured in China and find a board that also has 0 parts made in china. and so on....That is more a political video then trying to make computer technology content for someone to watch. instead find a company X that coincidentally doesnt have a major trade with China and see if they make some cool computer related hardware. Have LTT review/talk about that product.

30 minutes ago, Zeniv said:

Like the headline says. I challenge you to produce a PC made with no chinese manufactured parts at all. 

Most hardware from the big companies (ASUS,  Gigabytes, etc.) are made in Taiwan. So how is that a challenge?

Unless you mean the component that each hardware manufacture uses to make the part in question they use don't come from China, then no that is not possible. Not that there isn't... but rather costs to much for any company to do. It would be limited to select components like capacitors. That is beside the CPU

9 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Both Intel and AMD processors have parts or assembly in China. So we are now out of the Common processor companies. So we must find a Processor that isn't manufactured in China and find a board that also has 0 parts made in china. and so on....That is more a political video then trying to make computer technology content for someone to watch. instead find a company X that coincidentally doesnt have a major trade with China and see if they make some cool computer related hardware. Have LTT review/talk about that product.

So we aren't quite as lost as you think here. I use to collect mainframes (the wife made me stop and get rid of them. dark times) but the I and E series chips aren't made in China. While they are RISC chips they are stupid fast RISC chips and it may be possible to turn a I or E 5+ into a gaming PC well a linux one at least. Many companies in the US still make processors they just are CISC processors.

Please clarify, do you by "no parts made in China" mean having absolutely zero components in the system (down to ICs) made in China or having assembly of the components done outside of China?

The second one may actually be possible.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I'd watch that. Also, I've got a >30 year old computer from East Germany. Pretty sure nothing in there was made in China, but who knows. It's kind of broken, though. Can't decide whether to fix it or to use it as a case for a modern PC (Linux). Form factor is pretty close to a smaller VCR.

I'd much rather they put that effort into another Scrapyard Wars ?

33 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Everything is made in China, this is impossible.

Well, not if you consider Taiwan independent..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

Please clarify, do you by "no parts made in China" mean having absolutely zero components in the system (down to ICs) made in China or having assembly of the components done outside of China?

The second one may actually be possible.

So I would adjust fire on the challenge to find out what absolutely cannot be sourced from outside China.

Ideal  = Build a complete system where all parts are not manufactured in china and do not use chinese parts - this included Case and all components of the PC as well as all Inputs and Outputs  

If a component cannot be made without parts from china state why or what cannot be sourced - Even if a 100% no Chinese parts PC cannot be made it would be very interesting to find out what it is that can only be sourced from China.

Expected outcome - a full PC that can run a modern operating system and at least play games on steam. I would say those games would not even have to be fully 3d. 

Actually my PC has quite a few parts made in Taiwan - which technically is still China - but it says Taiwan, so would that count then?  Wouldn't be so hard to only get parts like that I guess,  also Korea perhaps. 

I'd definitely take on this challenge, if OP pays!  ? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually my PC has quite a few parts made in Taiwan - which technically is still China - but it says Taiwan, so would that count then?

It depends on the country you are from if thy recognize Taiwan as separate country, like what Taiwanese want, or part of China, if they want to please the Chinese government.

8 hours ago, Zeniv said:

I would love to know if it can even be done.

no it can not be done

dont even bother

to me a waste of time

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It depends on the country you are from if thy recognize Taiwan as separate country, like what Taiwanese want, or part of China, if they want to please the Chinese government.

Regardless of the political stage of Taiwan, most assembly is always done back in the mainland. Gigabyte is one of the few that still have motherboard production in Taipei:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Both Intel and AMD CPU's are made in China so far as I am aware, so it'd have to be something IBM POWER 9 based.

On second thought... I've been wanting to see LTT bumble through Power9 for a while... I say do it!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

15 hours ago, Zeniv said:

Impossible. All motherboards are made at Chinese factories (typically foxconn) unless Linus decides to source them from Brazil (some, not all items produced for the Brazil/South America market are produced in Brazil due to high import costs in Brazil,) that's unlikely to happen.

7 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

An IBM PC?

I think it would have to be.

• 1 year later...

Linus ,what can you give to me if I build computer 100 % not from chinese as I go to factory .