Why group regulated units shouldn't be bought/sold in 2019 (and on)

Sorry to necro this, but I was trying to identify group regulated vs non-group regulated PSUs, and I have some questions:

1. I came across CoolerMaster MasterWatt 750, and I can't seem to identify the DC-DC converter chip inside it, or rather I don't know what it looks like. Can you tell how to distinguish the DC-DC converter chip from other chips? check here to see inside pics of the PSU.

2. The power distribution chart indicates a 750W 12V output rail. Is the 12V rail outputting same wattage as the PSU's power rating a definite proof of PSU not being group regulated?

3. Is CM MasterWatt 750 a grpreg or non-grpreg based on above two arguments?

1 hour ago, Makda said:

Sorry to necro this, but I was trying to identify group regulated vs non-group regulated PSUs, and I have some questions:

1. I came across CoolerMaster MasterWatt 750, and I can't seem to identify the DC-DC converter chip inside it, or rather I don't know what it looks like. Can you tell how to distinguish the DC-DC converter chip from other chips? check here to see inside pics of the PSU.

2. The power distribution chart indicates a 750W 12V output rail. Is the 12V rail outputting same wattage as the PSU's power rating a definite proof of PSU not being group regulated?

3. Is CM MasterWatt 750 a grpreg or non-grpreg based on above two arguments?

CoolerMaster MasterWatt... what?  Be more specific.  MPX-7501-AMAAB is not group regulated and has DC to DC.

I think this whole Group Regulated PSU thing is like beating a dead horse...

If someone is buying a new PSU today then yes it's best to get a DC to DC rated PSU.

Or if they plan on upgrading to a higher powered machine or parts and have a Group Regulated PSU then it's best to replace it.

Other than that if their machine is running fine and the PSU isn't a bomb or really old and or they aren't having problems there is no need to worry about it.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

CoolerMaster MasterWatt... what?  Be more specific.  MPX-7501-AMAAB is not group regulated and has DC to DC.

Yes sorry it's MPX-7501-AMAAB. Could you tell which one is the DC-DC chip in the picture, so I can distinguish similar chips in other PSUs? Also, I'll be very grateful if you can answer my point #2 as well. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Ankerson said:

I think this whole Group Regulated PSU thing is like beating a dead horse...

If someone is buying a new PSU today then yes it's best to get a DC to DC rated PSU.

Or if they plan on upgrading to a higher powered machine or parts and have a Group Regulated PSU then it's best to replace it.

Other than that if their machine is running fine and the PSU isn't a bomb or really old and or they aren't having problems there is no need to worry about it.

In my country, 90% of PSU are still group regulated, as I am now starting to understand their anatomy, so the horse is still very alive and kicking here, with nearly all of them having no review on the internet; just some unboxing videos on YouTube.

1 hour ago, Makda said:

Could you tell which one is the DC-DC chip in the picture

If you see two small daughterboards sticking out with two small coils (they're cometimes casted into plastic or there's just one daughterboard) then it's DC-DC, these are DC-DC modules. There are some DC-DC designs without daughterboards tho but generally you at least see two small coils somewhere on secondary in this case.

Spoiler

979438892_AbkoSuitmasterAwesome600.jpg.491bb400d959e3407a435d5e903c3cac.jpg2061519266_GPSChieftecCoreBBS-S.jpg.789ae864e2d23fcfb48060d46bc0eaba.jpg214873011_SFLeadexIII650(2).jpg.d2c9828699d1c0eb576d0d3007f4f8a1.jpg25.jpg.2dd638a1a9afaf39a6bc90fb53087b02.jpg

203373146_KM3XP2-SeasonicXGold850.jpg.2a5cc89dc32de08b1673a3da4d76d2f9.jpg677155460_CSGTTLondon.JPG.e39bf23379715aedf07caa430b5c4160.JPG449731443_817ChieftecPolaris.jpg.fc36ee22ea73a4ea56fe1fbcf36324ed.jpg

Generally it's better to look at reviews anyway, if you see voltages within <3% from nominal during crossload tests then it's likely DC-DC (or double mag amp but they're rare these days).

12 hours ago, Makda said:

As a ballpark, yes, if 12V current is =>95% of total rated current then it's likely DC-DC, but who knows if the label is correct and manufacturer doesn't just want to screw you sticking a fake label on the PSU.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

5 hours ago, Makda said:

DC-DC chip

You could probably do yourself some good favor and read some actual PSU reviews. 

18 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You could probably do yourself some good favor and read some actual PSU reviews. 

I got my answers all thanks to Juular.

....give a man a fish....

• 1 month later...

would the leadex iii bronze be in a-tier, or is it just not on the list?

wrong thread 😕

certified moron

• 10 months later...

Group regulated correct? Put together a system with some OEM parts for a friend.  Consisting of a 5600G and a RTX 3060.  Should probably replace this thing huh?

image.thumb.png.a54936e60746d3676b6359fda7ab5974.png

Forgot I took a picture of one of these opened up.  I only see 1 big coil and I see a daughter board with some DC-DC action on it so maybe not group regulated? 
image.png.a6ecec4cbfbebcba484d11738374b804.png

Ryzen 5800X | 7800XT | 32GB 3600MHz Ripjaws | Superflower Leadex III 750w

1 hour ago, Jayjr1105 said:

Group regulated correct?

Probably only 3.3V rail has DC-DC converter, so partly group reg, yes. And it's ancient, i don't think In Win has made any PSUs under Power Man brand in the past decade, this unit is probably from 2005 or so.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

Probably only 3.3V rail has DC-DC converter, so partly group reg, yes. And it's ancient, i don't think In Win has made any PSUs under Power Man brand in the past decade, this unit is probably from 2005 or so.

Ok so that makes sense.  In win still sells us chassis with powerman power supplys up until about a year ago when we switched to Lenovo because of supply/parts issues from pandemic.  I can check some date codes on the chips inside the PSU but this PSU is still produced as of a couple years ago AFAIK.

Ryzen 5800X | 7800XT | 32GB 3600MHz Ripjaws | Superflower Leadex III 750w

18 minutes ago, Jayjr1105 said:

Ok so that makes sense.  In win still sells us chassis with powerman power supplys up until about a year ago when we switched to Lenovo because of supply/parts issues from pandemic.  I can check some date codes on the chips inside the PSU but this PSU is still produced as of a couple years ago AFAIK.

Well then, maybe they still do for SI.