Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Photos App doesn't properly display transparent images in Windows 10

When viewing an image with transparencies, the Microsoft Photos App, the default viewer in Windows 10, images look washed out or otherwise display incorrectly. During active resize of the Photos App window, the image shows correctly, but as soon as the resizing stops, the image is back to its washed out look. This is a major problem for designers proofing to unaware recipients whom just think that the image looks poor. This is not Switchable Graphics issue, as was able to reproduce on machines with Switchable Graphics, with Discrete Graphics, and with Integrated Graphics.

I created a bug report on the windows feedback hub here, with enough upvotes there, hopefully microsoft will fix the problem: https://aka.ms/AA6ityt

The images display correctly in other softwares and on webpages. The problem is that the Photos App is the default image viewer in Windows 10. It's not a good fit to tell every design recipient "hey make sure you aren't opening this in the Photos App" and then that becomes a whole discussion placing doubt in the mind of the client.

I have tried the reset Photos App, and even remove/reinstall the Photos App. Affects all up to date Windows 10 machines that I have access to. I can change the default viewer to another software for my own use, but that doesn't improve the recipient's situation. For own use there's also the ability to re-enable the legacy photo viewer - but that's a bad move due to the legacy viewer's inability to properly reproduce gamma and colorspace, that's why it was deprecated and again doesn't help the recipient's situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you check your ICC Color profile? It could be faulty.

Not every monitor manufacture make valid ones. Change it to the default sRGB instead of the monitor, and restart the Photos app.

 

(Start > Type: Color Management > pick "Color Management". A panel will show, check the box: "Use my settings for this device", select whatever profile you see, if any, and hit the "Remove" button, then click on "Add..." button, and select "sRGB virtual device model profile" under "WCS" section, click on OK.

You have multiple displays,you'll need to do this for all of them (pick the monitor from the drop down box above the check box "Use my settings..." that you just checked).

Again, make sure the Photos app is closed, and open your image again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Did you check your ICC Color profile? It could be faulty.

Not every monitor manufacture make valid ones. Change it to the default sRGB instead of the monitor, and restart the Photos app.

 

(Start > Type: Color Management > pick "Color Management". A panel will show, check the box: "Use my settings for this device", select whatever profile you see, if any, and hit the "Remove" button, then click on "Add..." button, and select "sRGB virtual device model profile" under "WCS" section, click on OK.

You have multiple displays,you'll need to do this for all of them (pick the monitor from the drop down box above the check box "Use my settings..." that you just checked).

Again, make sure the Photos app is closed, and open your image again.

happens even on machines that dont have any special color profile installed, and tried your instructions to remove the custom profiles on machines where they existed to no improvement. excellent suggestion though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, john_wayne said:

happens even on machines that dont have any special color profile installed, and tried your instructions to remove the custom profiles on machines where they existed to no improvement. excellent suggestion though.

So I made a gradient image with transparency under Paint.net, and it works fine on my side (I don't have your issue).

Here it is, for you to try:

Gradiant.png.5a868fb68295ff6b0efb6e69d2539ab2.png

 

Does it work for you as well?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Does it work for you as well?

that image locally on my machines presents the same issue.

All machines are:

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.449)

 

some were upgrades from win7, some from win10 home, some were fresh installs, all recently moved to win10pro. varied hardware.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, john_wayne said:

that image locally on my machines presents the same issue.

All machines are:

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.449)

 

some were upgrades from win7, some from win10 home, some were fresh installs, all recently moved to win10pro. varied hardware.

Intresting. It then seem that it will be fixed. I am on the Insider Preview program.

Photos app version: 2019.19071.17920.0

You can join in only for the Photos app, if you want, by simply opening the Photos app, then go to "..." menu, then pick "Settings", then scroll down to "Preview", and click on the button "Join Preview" (or something like that). You should then, soon (maybe 24h or so), join the Photos app preview, and you should be getting my version of the app. You can leave anytime, by repeating the process, and pick "Leave preview" button that will appear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Intresting. It then seem that it will be fixed. I am on the Insider Preview program.

Photos app version: 2019.19071.17920.0

You can join in only for the Photos app, if you want, by simply opening the Photos app, then go to "..." menu, then pick "Settings", then scroll down to "Preview", and click on the button "Join Preview" (or something like that). You should then, soon (maybe 24h or so), join the Photos app preview, and you should be getting my version of the app. You can leave anytime, by repeating the process, and pick "Leave preview" button that will appear.

I have enabled the preview version of Photos App and will update here once it has kicked in. FWIW, i had to fullscreen the current version of Photos for the 'settings' option to be available in the '...' menu. now that preview is enabled, 'settings' is available at any size via scroll of the '...' menu. I ran microsoft store update and windows update and nothing new was available, so apparently preview versions deliver across some other subsystem. So I'll wait as you said. Regardless of whether it works, thanks for this incredible info i didnt realize existed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 7:38 AM, john_wayne said:

So I'll wait as you said

@GoodBytes the issue persists. And I am assuming it has been long enough for the Photos App 'Preview' version to kick in, though I am unsure of how to confirm that. It looks like i might have to enroll my computer in the insider program and then choose the preview ring - however I get stuck in a select/register account loop at enrolling for insider.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, john_wayne said:

@GoodBytes the issue persists. And I am assuming it has been long enough for the Photos App 'Preview' version to kick in, though I am unsure of how to confirm that. It looks like i might have to enroll my computer in the insider program and then choose the preview ring - however I get stuck in a select/register account loop at enrolling for insider.

If you want to join the Insider program, you need to:

  • Have your main admin account on the system be linked to a Microsoft account (Settings > Accounts)
  • To register here (sign in with the same Microsoft account linked with your account above) : https://insider.windows.com/en-us/register/
  • Then go Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program, and join there by hitting "Get Started" button.
  • Then restart the system, and check for updates. It may take 24h before you get the request

If I am not mistaken:

  • Release Preview runs the newly released version of Windows 10 (v: 1909) - November 2019 Update (19H1). They had no new version since. So if you already have the update, then there is no update that will come, beside testing security updates and small bug fixes. Don't expect updates any time soon.
  • Slow Ring: Monthly releases or so. They are on 20H1 (Windows 10 Build: 19013)
  • Fast Ring: Weekly releases or so. They are on 20H1 (Windows 10 Build: 19023)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×