BOINC Community Board

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Been at BOINC for a while.  Did about two or so BOINC pents with OCN in previous years and the two BOINC pents with LTT now.  My TRs are my first big core chips.  My former 5960X was the biggest core CPU I had before those.  I'm currently not a full steam with my CPUs: I still need to configure BOINC on my 1900X under Mint Mate 19.3.  And, configure my E5-2670V3 for it as well.  I also got another 5960X J Batch I still need to get up and going (I have a slight soft spot for those as they OC like a boss).

Darn, big ones those African Rainfall Projects are.  My biggiest WUs I do currently are ATLAS ones from LHC@Home.  Each one requires eight threads from my CPU, eat a good chunk of RAM, and usually take over eight to nine hours.  :3  I'm almost to 2mil total in LHC@Home. 

Also, just hit 8mil total in Universe@Home.  I may just hit 9-10mil total this year in it.  That is all CPU crunching.

It just now those take longer to do with the newer WUs.  I need to get my 1900X doing those instead as I recall getting better run times in Linux with those.

Later my GPU output and CPU from the main rig will probably dip once I get my first 3D printer.  Planning to take a shot again at 3D modeling.

Besides the servers & the 5960X I've got a 3930K up and running but the motherboard is kind of hurting. One RAM channel is basically dead and another is 1/2 dead. I'm not even sure If the CPU is working with quad channel right now. With everything going I'm currently averaging around 72,000ppd according to BOINCstats.

Right now my desktop (1950X) is running WCG & Einstein@Home at the same time. Works well but puts off quite a bit of heat. My cooling solution works but could be quieter. Can't have everything though I suppose.

I have all my BOINC nodes running Debian Server. I find Linux performs considerably better over Windows when it comes to BOINC completion times. I setup the boinc-client to allow remote connections so I just manage all of them over the network. Most of the nodes don't even have GPU's. No need when there's no GUI. I do believe I know how I could get GPU compute working on Debian Server without a GUI so I hope to test that someday soon. I'll need it when I one day build the 7~8 project GPU compute rig :D

Honestly I just wanna build something crazy with virtualization. BOINC/GPU compute is just a good excuse.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Besides the servers & the 5960X I've got a 3930K up and running but the motherboard is kind of hurting. One RAM channel is basically dead and another is 1/2 dead. I'm not even sure If the CPU is working with quad channel right now. With everything going I'm currently averaging around 72,000ppd according to BOINCstats.

Right now my desktop (1950X) is running WCG & Einstein@Home at the same time. Works well but puts off quite a bit of heat. My cooling solution works but could be quieter. Can't have everything though I suppose.

I have all my BOINC nodes running Debian Server. I find Linux performs considerably better over Windows when it comes to BOINC completion times. I setup the boinc-client to allow remote connections so I just manage all of them over the network. Most of the nodes don't even have GPU's. No need when there's no GUI. I do believe I know how I could get GPU compute working on Debian Server without a GUI so I hope to test that someday soon. I'll need it when I one day build the 7~8 project GPU compute rig :D

Honestly I just wanna build something crazy with virtualization. BOINC/GPU compute is just a good excuse.

I'm running WCG on all my spare threads and Einstein@Home on a few GPUs all on Ubuntu so I can confirm you can run Folding@Home and BOINC headless on Ubuntu and as that's Debian based you should be able to do the same.

I've written a guide for F@H on Ubuntu which details a few of the gotcha's for headless operation (nvidia-control requires a lot of the X libraries to run)

I've been running a 6 GPU Folding Rig with BOINC on the spare threads. It's currently running on Windows (which sucks due to poor PCIe lane performance/overhead) but I'll be switching it back to Ubuntu (it is configured for dual-boot for testing) this weekend. I'm using a x570 motherboard but similar principals (m.2 to PCIe3 x4 in x16 adapters connected to bifurcated PCIe x16 slots) could be used on a single x299 or x399 motherboard to run up to 16 GPUs using stacked mining frames.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

We should start thinking about starting some planning for the next pentathlon.

Getting people trying out and documenting various projects so we can gather some best practices for configuration and tuning and possibly thinking about some method for people to sign up for bunkering groups with a "marshall" to lead and direct strategically when the bunkers for a given project get released.

I know I need to bone up on some of the projects that require VirtualBox and other containers to run and using virtualization in general to be more effective so some guides on virtualization would be helpful.

I've been mulling over getting a 2920x (or a 2950) and an x399 motherboard while they're still available and discounted as I have a feeling that the newer ThreadRippers are going to be a lot more dear to acquire.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

9 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

I'm running WCG on all my spare threads and Einstein@Home on a few GPUs all on Ubuntu so I can confirm you can run Folding@Home and BOINC headless on Ubuntu and as that's Debian based you should be able to do the same.

I've written a guide for F@H on Ubuntu which details a few of the gotcha's for headless operation (nvidia-control requires a lot of the X libraries to run)

Oh there's no doubt in my mind it can be done it's just a matter of how. I've been familiarizing myself with the terminal quite a bit using it regularly for all sorts of tasks and I do believe I have found a way to get the boinc-client to recognize a GPU from the Command Console on a headless system.

I'm on AMD. So I need OpenCL. I already have a working method which is how I'm running Einstein@home on my Ubuntu desktop right now. It may be a bit round-about though. I've queried people about how to get OpenCL support working on Debian and apparently it's a little experimental.

16 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

I've been running a 6 GPU Folding Rig with BOINC on the spare threads. It's currently running on Windows (which sucks due to poor PCIe lane performance/overhead) but I'll be switching it back to Ubuntu (it is configured for dual-boot for testing) this weekend. I'm using a x570 motherboard but similar principals (m.2 to PCIe3 x4 in x16 adapters connected to bifurcated PCIe x16 slots) could be used on a single x299 or x399 motherboard to run up to 16 GPUs using stacked mining frames.

My future plans are to build a rig based on AMD EYPC that will run QEMU virtualization which will enable a 7~8 GPU rig to run an equal number of projects simultaneously with very nearly no performance penalty.

Figure I could mount it all in something like this: Rosewill 8 GPU Mining Case Frame

5 hours ago, Gorgon said:

We should start thinking about starting some planning for the next pentathlon.

Hopefully can do a short BOINC event a month or two before the Pentathlon.  That probably depends where the next year F@H events fall.

Thinking maybe do up a poll to see what time frame folks be interested in doing a pre-event before the Pent shows up.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

19 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Hopefully can do a short BOINC event a month or two before the Pentathlon.  That probably depends where the next year F@H events fall.

Thinking maybe do up a poll to see what time frame folks be interested in doing a pre-event before the Pent shows up.

If you're going to hold a practice pre-event let me know. I have an experiment I want to try. :D

Why hasn't anyone mention THOR Challenge  (second link)?

Could we have even participated there? I know that it landed in same time as our folding month... But still we could have at least tried.?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

17 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Hey Ithanul, are you getting "Project backoff" on your Einstein jobs under Transfers?

I currently have the GPU doing GPUGRID.

I do have some Einstein units though on hand.  I will get it to do one and see if I get a similar status as well.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

5 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I currently have the GPU doing GPUGRID.

I do have some Einstein units though on hand.  I will get it to do one and see if I get a similar status as well.

The most descriptive error in my Event Log:

[error] Error reported by file upload server: File uploads are temporarily disabled.

I assume that means it's not an issue on my end.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The most descriptive error in my Event Log:

I assume that means it's not an issue on my end.

Mostly the few times I seen a backoff (usually sometimes during a Pent) is when their server that takes WUs is handling a large load of WUs.

But yeah, my GPU just finish two of Einstein and the Event Log is showing that same error.

Yep, here is the official thread.

https://einsteinathome.org/content/uploads-temporarily-diabled

So I decided to do some quick maths because I've claimed that 100,000 Results Returned on WCG is a personal milestone goal of mine and I couldn't really wrap my head around the fact that that's a really ambitious number.

A 3930K at 3.8GHz 10/12 threads crunching would have to run for approx 3 years 24/7/365 with 0 downtime to return ~100,000 results

A 5960X at 4.5GHz 14/16 threads crunching would have to run for approx 1 year & 8 months 24/7/365 with 0 downtime to return ~100,000 results

So it seems 100,000 is a somewhat serious number :D.

Oh hey, just broke top 10 in the team for WCG. ?

Small victory. Reaching top 6 shouldn't be hard but then it's just a wall.

22 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

So I decided to do some quick maths because I've claimed that 100,000 Results Returned on WCG is a personal milestone goal of mine and I couldn't really wrap my head around the fact that that's a really ambitious number.

A 3930K at 3.8GHz 10/12 threads crunching would have to run for approx 3 years 24/7/365 with 0 downtime to return ~100,000 results

A 5960X at 4.5GHz 14/16 threads crunching would have to run for approx 1 year & 8 months 24/7/365 with 0 downtime to return ~100,000 results

So it seems 100,000 is a somewhat serious number :D.

Yep.  It is indeed.  I been crunching WCG on and off for a while.

I'm just at 45,294 results returned.

Right now most of my crunching aimed at Universe@Home.  Holding spot two in the team over there, but some folks are running up the ranks right behind me.  Seems I may have to wake up the 1900X this weekend.

Kinda hoping some deals on 2920X or 2950X show up for Black Friday since the new TRs are dropping soon.

Though, the benchmarks in rendering and the like kinda made me drool a tad for that 3970X.  But oof, that price is not something I want to drop dough on atm.  Got other big items next year on the list that take higher priority than a new CPU.

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yep.  It is indeed.  I been crunching WCG on and off for a while.

I'm just at 45,294 results returned.

Right now most of my crunching aimed at Universe@Home.  Holding spot two in the team over there, but some folks are running up the ranks right behind me.  Seems I may have to wake up the 1900X this weekend.

Kinda hoping some deals on 2920X or 2950X show up for Black Friday since the new TRs are dropping soon.

Though, the benchmarks in rendering and the like kinda made me drool a tad for that 3970X.  But oof, that price is not something I want to drop dough on atm.  Got other big items next year on the list that take higher priority than a new CPU.

I'm currently at 63,634 adding about 850/day. I joined the team 5/1/2019 according to WCG so I've done this in 6.5 months time.

I would like to start the 7~8 GPU/EPYC platform virtualized BOINC rig and run 7~8 projects at once but right now I know I can't financially afford the hardware so that whole project is on hold.

Run Linux on it. You should see a noticeable performance bump over Windows. Maybe even overclock it. Outperform my 5960X >:)

I'm not sure any of the items I'm interested in will have a Black Friday sale. Here's hoping.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:12 AM, Windows7ge said:

I'm currently at 63,634 adding about 850/day. I joined the team 5/1/2019 according to WCG so I've done this in 6.5 months time.

I would like to start the 7~8 GPU/EPYC platform virtualized BOINC rig and run 7~8 projects at once but right now I know I can't financially afford the hardware so that whole project is on hold.

Run Linux on it. You should see a noticeable performance bump over Windows. Maybe even overclock it. Outperform my 5960X >:)

The 1900X is already running Mint Mate 19.3.  The main rig, 1950X, is staying on W10 Enterprise as that is my daily rig, and I don't want to fool with dual booting.

I do have a 5960X J Batch which I could get up and running.  But currently, got other projects I want to do this week, since I'm getting a four day off.  One being prepping the Pi 3 B+ with Octoprint.

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

The 1900X is already running Mint Mate 19.3.  The main rig, 1950X, is staying on W10 Enterprise as that is my daily rig, and I don't want to fool with dual booting.

I do have a 5960X J Batch which I could get up and running.  But currently, got other projects I want to do this week, since I'm getting a four day off.  One being prepping the Pi 3 B+ with Octoprint.

Why not run both at the same time? *Insert guide on to-do list here*

What is this J batch? I'm not familiar with it.

22 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Why not run both at the same time? *Insert guide on to-do list here*

What is this J batch? I'm not familiar with it.

Not sure what you meaning by, running both.

J Batch 5960Xs tend to be very good overclockers. 

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Not sure what you meaning by, running both.

Before I broke QEMU trying to get BOINC to recognize my GPU's this is what my desktop looked like (below was my left+right monitor).

dual-OS.thumb.png.2903189ee67110c9cc05fc167d393d82.png

I could move my mouse/keyboard between the two and control either or at a time as "one machine/computer". As I said, why not run both :D. NO COMPROMISES!!!

11 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

J Batch 5960Xs tend to be very good overclockers. 

I have no idea what batch/micro code/revision mine is but it ran a 4.5GHz OC running BOINC for ~26 days strait without crashing.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Before I broke QEMU trying to get BOINC to recognize my GPU's this is what my desktop looked like (below was my left+right monitor).

dual-OS.thumb.png.2903189ee67110c9cc05fc167d393d82.png

I could move my mouse/keyboard between the two and control either or at a time as "one machine/computer". As I said, why not run both :D. NO COMPROMISES!!!

I have no idea what batch/micro code/revision mine is but it ran a 4.5GHz OC running BOINC for ~26 days strait without crashing.

I rather not fool doing such with the main rig or hooking two monitors to it currently.  Maybe down the road when I have two match monitors.  Also, I do game on the main rig.  Not sure how that would affect G-Sync or how Nvidia GPUs would react to that.

My former J batch 5960X easily did 4.6GHz 24/7.  It could do 4.8GHz, but the heat output was a bit high for my liking.  I put it like this, that former 5960X put my 1900X to shame.  That with the 1900X under Linux and the 5960X under W7 at the time.  Could be different now with the updated BIOS and AGESA for the 1900X.

7 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I rather not fool doing such with the main rig or hooking two monitors to it currently.  Maybe down the road when I have two match monitors.  Also, I do game on the main rig.  Not sure how that would affect G-Sync or how Nvidia GPUs would react to that.

Looking Glass enables this to work with just one monitor but yeah there's some risk if you screw up that it will brick your install and you have to know how to undo what you broke.

10 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

My former J batch 5960X easily did 4.6GHz 24/7.  It could do 4.8GHz, but the heat output was a bit high for my liking.  I put it like this, that former 5960X put my 1900X to shame.  That with the 1900X under Linux and the 5960X under W7 at the time.  Could be different now with the updated BIOS and AGESA for the 1900X.

Just do what I did. Drop the ambient temperature of the room down to near 0°C. You know you're doing overclocking right when your overclocked max load temps are in the low 40°C's.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Just do what I did. Drop the ambient temperature of the room down to near 0°C. You know you're doing overclocking right when your overclocked max load temps are in the low 40°C's.

Yeah, no.  The electricity cost of trying to drop ambient temps is not worth it.  Plus, I dislike being in cold temps.

7 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, no.  The electricity cost of trying to drop ambient temps is not worth it.  Plus, I dislike being in cold temps.

I take advantage of the cold of the out doors in my area and run the rigs in my garage. The rigs I can dedicate to BOINC anyways.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I take advantage of the cold of the out doors in my area and run the rigs in my garage. The rigs I can dedicate to BOINC anyways.

Well, I'm in Florida.  So, temps are still no where that low to take advantage of opening a window up.

Heck, yesterday the high was 84F/28.9C.

6 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Well, I'm in Florida.  So, temps are still no where that low to take advantage of opening a window up.

Heck, yesterday the high was 84F/28.9C.

Lucky, here yesterdays high was ~40°F/4.4°C

Though it's also my excuse for running all these CPU's at near full tilt. It's enough to heat our entire downstairs.