BOINC Community Board

48 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Click Device Statistics that'll tell you immediately.

I am not sure where can I find Device Statistics but I found my PC via this link:

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/15/host/list/0/0/1093598

Still... I am not sure when did he manage to get the WU and complete it for 95.2 credit but okay...

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

24 minutes ago, Favebook said:

I am not sure where can I find Device Statistics but I found my PC via this link:

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/15/host/list/0/0/1093598

Still... I am not sure when did he manage to get the WU and complete it for 95.2 credit but okay...

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/viewStatisticsByDevice.do

BOINC3900X41AllCore.thumb.PNG.8e058b32582401b062e76862ff1f08c8.PNG

Figured BOINC was a good way to hammer the 3900X vs using a benchmark since this actually does some good. All core 4.1GHz+ with just PBO on.

27 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

BOINC3900X41AllCore.thumb.PNG.8e058b32582401b062e76862ff1f08c8.PNG

Figured BOINC was a good way to hammer the 3900X vs using a benchmark since this actually does some good. All core 4.1GHz+ with just PBO on.

what project are you running? hopefully something that doesnt have a gpu optimization ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

8 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

what project are you running? hopefully something that doesnt have a gpu optimization ^^

Nope. GPU is off. It's mostly WCG stuff.

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Nope. GPU is off. It's mostly WCG stuff.

very nice! WCG is a great project. My favorite ones are SETI, Rosetta, Einstein and that Folding@Home version from the university of Barcelona, I forgot it's name..... They all run gpu accelerated tho. If you're after quick points you can also always run collatz which can be fun, too! But i bet you know all of these already :P

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

4 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

very nice! WCG is a great project. My favorite ones are SETI, Rosetta, Einstein and that Folding@Home version from the university of Barcelona, I forgot it's name..... They all run gpu accelerated tho. If you're after quick points you can also always run collatz which can be fun, too! But i bet you know all of these already :P

I didn't! While I've been folding for years, I really only jumped on BOINC for the sprint last year. So this is all good info.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

I didn't! While I've been folding for years, I really only jumped on BOINC for the sprint last year. So this is all good info.

Oh I didn't know that! welcome aboard then ^^

I did more boinc than folding because I was always kinda gpu limited... Also, its a lot of fun to check out all the different projects and each of them has a message board as well.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

Oh I didn't know that! welcome aboard then ^^

I did more boinc than folding because I was always kinda gpu limited... Also, its a lot of fun to check out all the different projects and each of them has a message board as well.

BOINC is definitely a bit more overwhelming though. when i started out doing BOINC i just didn;t know what project to start on, and it's a pretty big hassle to manage all the different accounts you need for them.

i've been using BoincTasks as a main manager now tough, and it makes everything easier! definitely recommended if you're running multiple systems

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

BOINC is definitely a bit more overwhelming though. when i started out doing BOINC i just didn;t know what project to start on, and it's a pretty big hassle to manage all the different accounts you need for them.

i've been using BoincTasks as a main manager now tough, and it makes everything easier! definitely recommended if you're running multiple systems

I use it to! But at the moment everything is doing collatz! I want that badge lol

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Hm I’ve used boincstats as a manager I believe it’s a bit older but less intuitive. Haven‘t boinc‘ed In a while tho tbh. SETI was the project that brought me towards BOINC and only later I found out there’s more so it was kind of my entry drug :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

image.png.6202cc8af2e9c61b8ecb6288faa064e1.png

Any idea why I keep getting this?

I need an opinion. 3930K stock 3.8GHz turbo running WCG on a 400W PSU. Yea or nay?

4 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

image.png.6202cc8af2e9c61b8ecb6288faa064e1.png

Any idea why I keep getting this?

(I see it says NVIDIA but I'm going to go over both)

Check your Event Log (Tools -> Event Log...) and scroll all the way up. If you have AMD GPU's you should have lines similar to these:

1823082425_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1714-45-41.thumb.png.176f82f05c42fd3d270e228d3676f694.png

If you have NVIDIA they should be OpenGL (I believe anyways)

If you have "no" GPU then you'll see the line No usable GPUs found which indicate a driver issue. The OpenCL or OpenGL/CUDA component isn't being recognized by BOINC so it can't see/use the GPU(s).

Are you on Windows or Linux?

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

(I see it says NVIDIA but I'm going to go over both)

Check your Event Log (Tools -> Event Log...) and scroll all the way up. If you have AMD GPU's you should have lines similar to these:

1823082425_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1714-45-41.thumb.png.176f82f05c42fd3d270e228d3676f694.png

If you have NVIDIA they should be OpenGL (I believe anyways)

If you have "no" GPU then you'll see the line No usable GPUs found which indicate a driver issue. The OpenCL or OpenGL/CUDA component isn't being recognized by BOINC so it can't see/use the GPU(s).

Are you on Windows or Linux?

Oh. Looks like it doesn't work over RDP and that's what it's complaining about.

Sucks.

9 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Oh. Looks like it doesn't work over RDP and that's what it's complaining about.

Sucks.

Over RDP? What were you trying to do?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Over RDP? What were you trying to do?

Was just going to run BOINC on a render server that's not in use for a couple of weeks, but I don't have physical access to it, so I mainly RDP into it.

Seems that does not work for BOINC and GPU. Works for folding, so I didn't consider it.

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Was just going to run BOINC on a render server that's not in use for a couple of weeks, but I don't have physical access to it, so I mainly RDP into it.

Seems that does not work for BOINC and GPU. Works for folding, so I didn't consider it.

This may be of use to you: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Controlling_BOINC_remotely

You can setup Debian CLI servers and configure them to allow connections from local IP's.

This is how I control all my BOINC nodes from one machine:

738838511_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1715-22-22.thumb.png.2d424be52dadf8f428e8f5d153b6fef0.png

The guide does give instructions for Windows so you may be able to use those.

25 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

This may be of use to you: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Controlling_BOINC_remotely

You can setup Debian CLI servers and configure them to allow connections from local IP's.

This is how I control all my BOINC nodes from one machine:

738838511_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1715-22-22.thumb.png.2d424be52dadf8f428e8f5d153b6fef0.png

The guide does give instructions for Windows so you may be able to use those.

I had an extra splashtop seat. That ended up working out.

Finally got this badge up to the next one.  Now to work on getting my other Ruby level badge to Emerald.

Capture.thumb.JPG.93b0b766072629c11b060cb3a29ca84e.JPG

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Ok, serious question this time. What is meant by 0.9 CPUs? Normal? Or did I break something?

1768588028_Screenshotfrom2019-11-2011-14-08.png.600cd874e230ce7dd3dae9e28b1a4ef1.png

7 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Ok, serious question this time. What is meant by 0.9 CPUs? Normal? Or did I break something?

1768588028_Screenshotfrom2019-11-2011-14-08.png.600cd874e230ce7dd3dae9e28b1a4ef1.png

Some WUs vary in the required CPU usage to run them.  Also, some projects allow tuning of that as well.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Some WUs vary in the required CPU usage to run them.  Also, some projects allow tuning of that as well.

So long as its normal. I noticed a change in the GPU's coil whine (a strangely useful "feature" that tells you what the GPU is doing). While the GPUs are doing these 0.9 jobs the whole cooling loop operates ~8℃ cooler (I have waterblocks on everything).

Finally got this badge up to the next one.  Now to work on getting my other Ruby level badge to Emerald.

I'm up to three 5 year Diamond badges. Microbiome Immunity project, Fighting AIDS Phase 2, & Mapping Cancer Markers. OpenZIKA stopped getting work so I'm stuck in Sapphire purgatory, TB has given me virtually no work, Smash Childhood Cancer I have a Bronze.

Has anybody else signed up for the African Rainfall Project? What WU completion times are you averaging?

7 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm up to three 5 year Diamond badges. Microbiome Immunity project, Fighting AIDS Phase 2, & Mapping Cancer Markers. OpenZIKA stopped getting work so I'm stuck in Sapphire purgatory, TB has given me virtually no work, Smash Childhood Cancer I have a Bronze.

Has anybody else signed up for the African Rainfall Project? What WU completion times are you averaging?

Nice.  I don't have any of the Diamond badges yet.  Though, I got got total three years time on two projects.  So, a little more and I will get two.

I have African Rainfall Project selected, but I have yet to get any.  So far, I'm only getting either the Microbiome ones and the Mapping Cancer Markers.

I just downloaded some Einstein@Home to see what my main rig gets.  It pulled some with 0.9 CPU usage.

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Nice.  I don't have any of the Diamond badges yet.  Though, I got got total three years time on two projects.  So, a little more and I will get two.

How long have you been on WCG? I just have a over-exorbitant amount of CPU power if you remember from the BOINC Pentathlon :D (speaking of) now that it's cold outside I just let it run 24/7. Long term goals right now are I want to see 100,000 results returned and someday/eventually 100 years of compute time. I'm currently at 21 years adding ~100 days per day.

I have African Rainfall Project selected, but I have yet to get any.  So far, I'm only getting either the Microbiome ones and the Mapping Cancer Markers.

I've finished 11 jobs. These things take forever. On a 5960X at 4.5GHz they take 14 hours per WU. On my E5-2670's server it's ~21 hours, on my E5-2698v3 server it's ~25 hours. If you happen to get a bunch at once don't expect your computer to do much else for a while.

I just downloaded some Einstein@Home to see what my main rig gets.  It pulled some with 0.9 CPU usage.

So it's something they set up the project to do and not something I did. That's good. As I said everything runs notably cooler while my GPU's are doing them. Also the coil whine sounds like tweeting birds instead of a constant reee sound. I'm really not sure what purpose or function 0.9 CPU's would serve.

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

How long have you been on WCG? I just have a over-exorbitant amount of CPU power if you remember from the BOINC Pentathlon :D (speaking of) now that it's cold outside I just let it run 24/7. Long term goals right now are I want to see 100,000 results returned and someday/eventually 100 years of compute time. I'm currently at 21 years adding ~100 days per day.

I've finished 11 jobs. These things take forever. On a 5960X at 4.5GHz they take 14 hours per WU. On my E5-2670's server it's ~21 hours, on my E5-2698v3 server it's ~25 hours. If you happen to get a bunch at once don't expect your computer to do much else for a while.

Been at BOINC for a while.  Did about two or so BOINC pents with OCN in previous years and the two BOINC pents with LTT now.  My TRs are my first big core chips.  My former 5960X was the biggest core CPU I had before those.  I'm currently not a full steam with my CPUs: I still need to configure BOINC on my 1900X under Mint Mate 19.3.  And, configure my E5-2670V3 for it as well.  I also got another 5960X J Batch I still need to get up and going (I have a slight soft spot for those as they OC like a boss).

Darn, big ones those African Rainfall Projects are.  My biggiest WUs I do currently are ATLAS ones from LHC@Home.  Each one requires eight threads from my CPU, eat a good chunk of RAM, and usually take over eight to nine hours.  :3  I'm almost to 2mil total in LHC@Home. 

Also, just hit 8mil total in Universe@Home.  I may just hit 9-10mil total this year in it.  That is all CPU crunching.

It just now those take longer to do with the newer WUs.  I need to get my 1900X doing those instead as I recall getting better run times in Linux with those.

Later my GPU output and CPU from the main rig will probably dip once I get my first 3D printer.  Planning to take a shot again at 3D modeling.