The difference between LGA and FCLGA

Hello,

I thinking of doing an upgrade to my computer. The part that I want to upgrade is the CPU. I currently have a I5-6600k and I want to up grade to I7-7700. The one question a have is to do with the socket. The I5 (my current one) is a LGA1151 but the I7 (the one want to upgrade to) is a FCLGA1151. I'm not sure if it the same socket or if its different.

And another quick thing i do you think this is a good upgrade for me. I play a lot of simulation games (ETS2,ATS,BeamNG,etc)

Sgm613

There is not physical difference. They are the same.

That is to say, a 7700 will not worked in a 100 series board so you will need a new one. Thank intel, there was zero need and it is all software lock.

I also don't think the upgrade is worthwhile. If you really need more power and have some good coolign already, i would recommend looking at a used 6700k.

If u factor in the cost of a new board i would jump more than one gen, given both of these are not up to date any more (not to say there are outdated, just not current anymore).

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

4 minutes ago, Sgm613 said:

Hello,

I thinking of doing an upgrade to my computer. The part that I want to upgrade is the CPU. I currently have a I5-6600k and I want to up grade to I7-7700. The one question a have is to do with the socket. The I5 (my current one) is a LGA1151 but the I7 (the one want to upgrade to) is a FCLGA1151. I'm not sure if it the same socket or if its different.

And another quick thing i do you think this is a good upgrade for me. I play a lot of simulation games (ETS2,ATS,BeamNG,etc)

Sgm613

Well the first thing you should do is make sure the bios is compatible with the 7700. 

If the motherboard isn't compatible, you might want to think about going Ryzen. The AMD Ryzen 3600 and an MSI Tomahawk Max is the same price as a 7700, with a +17% performance gain (the motherboard comes preloaded with support for Ryzen 3rd gen).

Alright, thanks guys I will look into Ryzen a bit more. Maybe I might switch over to team red for the first time

Kaby Lake (7th gen) chips generally will work in a Z170 chipset, but coffee lake (8th gen) will not. The best performing cpu you can put in a z170 board is the 7700K, but a 7700 will work as long as the newest bios supports it.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.