isp introduced premium wifi. Pay to get good wifi coverage

intertan

couple of isp's in the area have had enough with slow wii speed/coverage. They are installing the isp gateway and that is it. You have 2 options, deal with it yourself like I did or pay to get some equipment.

There is already some people threatening to switch, take them to court. I pay for it I should get it. It says you pay for internet and wifi is included.

had a few troubles this week myself. Ran things wrong, nothing ran at all "everything is wireless these days you know".  One wanted the gateway in the middle of the house, fine makes sense. Want's a few things hardwired but does not want to have all them go to the gateway. This is new 2-3 year old houses.

just get a high performance wifi router, plug it in the isp lan port and off you go.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

just get a high performance wifi router, plug it in the isp lan port and off you go.

Been doing this for years. even my small house needs min 2 AP to cover the entire house.

So what's the problem then?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 hours ago, intertan said:

I pay for it I should get it. It says you pay for internet and wifi is included.

Not sure where the fuck you live, but this is common practice in the US. You pay a rental fee for a shitty gateway or you buy your own stuff. Some companies like Comcast you can pay a little more to get better features, or pay a bit more and get WiFi extenders that connect to their gateway. The fact is, there are no legal grounds for a case. You have the option to buy your own shit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'm sorry but the ISPs responsibility is to provide the service to your home and past that it's the customers responsibility to manage their own network, wireless coverage and wiring.

They are satisfying their part, there is no legal ground to stand on.

7 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

So what's the problem then?

People expect the isp to have 100% coverage in there house and Full speed 24/7. regardless if they are in an apartment or large house.

If the isp can deliver on this coverage then it is up to the isp to fix. They the customer shouldn't have to pay to get something that works.

this includs 40-50 wireless devices if not more.

It comes down to people always treating internet as wifi. People don't understand you pay for internet that comes trough ethernet and wifi is just a bonus.

When the area I work in upgrade to fiber over half of the people thought this would fix there wifi issue, It has actually made it worse now that we are offering such speeds.  Including playstation servers that max them out at ~50mbps when they pay for 100+mbps. Something on our end they say.

Does the ISP marketed its product as a whole house coverage? if yes, then you have a case.

You can't guarantee full speed all day, that's not possible on a consumer level, that's why they put usually "UP TO", many factors involved in this and may not be their fault.

Wifi coverage for a single AP should be optimal up to 3 walls or up to 20m indoor. More than that you would need an extender, it's just common sense. I think you don't have to explain how signal strength works.

3 hours ago, intertan said:

People expect the isp to have 100% coverage in there house and Full speed 24/7. regardless if they are in an apartment or large house.

If the isp can deliver on this coverage then it is up to the isp to fix. They the customer shouldn't have to pay to get something that works.

this includs 40-50 wireless devices if not more.

It comes down to people always treating internet as wifi. People don't understand you pay for internet that comes trough ethernet and wifi is just a bonus.

When the area I work in upgrade to fiber over half of the people thought this would fix there wifi issue, It has actually made it worse now that we are offering such speeds.  Including playstation servers that max them out at ~50mbps when they pay for 100+mbps. Something on our end they say.

None of those issue sound like ISP issues. That is the consumers ignorance

People expecting full coverage in a large home, 100% bandwidth, no issues no mater if it's an apartment with 50AP and 1000 devices all consuming air time, expecting 50 or more devices connected to a single AP even though physics exist and to top it all off, full wireless bandwidth no matter the signal, and all done for free...are purely idiotic.

That's the nicest way I can put it. This isn't a charity. Site surveys to ensure 100% coverage take a shit ton of time to ensure performance is on par and the APs are not trying to talk over each other.  You want wifi with great coverage, pay for it yourself like everyone else.

If you can't sit and Google why you are not getting full speeds on wireless and it's ridiculous that you are not getting what you pay for, you don't deserve to ***** about it.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:00 AM, SupaKomputa said:

Does the ISP marketed its product as a whole house coverage? if yes, then you have a case.

You can't guarantee full speed all day, that's not possible on a consumer level, that's why they put usually "UP TO", many factors involved in this and may not be their fault.

Wifi coverage for a single AP should be optimal up to 3 walls or up to 20m indoor. More than that you would need an extender, it's just common sense. I think you don't have to explain how signal strength works.

nope, all they say is wifi is included. people are like I pay for wifi (never say internet) and I pay for 100mbps and I only get coverage here and speeds of 95mbps.

I sound like a broken record times. You pay for internet not wifi. we advertise upto 300 for example. Via cat5e or better and when you do a speed test and get 295 its close enough. To do a true speed test you need have 1 device connected. not the 40+ when you add up everything.

We don't own the frequency. Control what our competitors do, what your next door people do and so on.

its rediculus what people expect from us. My computer takes 20 min to start up and up to an hour to get the printer to print something. Must be something with your equipment

I am running a windows xp machine and can't get the 300 I pay for (100mbps card installed)

Why can't I use the flat line tel cord to get ethernet to my house https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10m-30ft-RJ11-6P4C-Cable-new_60397529085.html

what do you mean I wired it wrong, your network should be able to do it this way.

I don't want all this wires, I want everything to be wireless and I am not paying out of my own pocket to get what I wan't

I want cat6a everywhere, over 100 runs.

cisco equipment and AP units

I should not have to pay to get this installed.

1 hour ago, intertan said:

I want cat6a everywhere, over 100 runs.

cisco equipment and AP units

I should not have to pay to get this installed.

Why not? What makes you think that you should get this for free? 

I thoguht this was standard practice lol. In australia they give you an NBN router then the service provider adds a modem with your plan. We basically never use them and i just replaced mine with a Netgear Nighthawk X6.

14 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Why not? What makes you think that you should get this for free? 

this isn't me. This is the people I have to deal with doing my job

4 hours ago, AAura said:

I thoguht this was standard practice lol. In australia they give you an NBN router then the service provider adds a modem with your plan. We basically never use them and i just replaced mine with a Netgear Nighthawk X6.

I would just likt to here is a jack, we run our speedtest and then have a nice day