Wireless remote/controller for auxiliary led lights on car

Joveice

Hello, I have fitted a bit of led bars on my car and I would like to switch them indevidualiy on and off, currently all goes on one button that is wired to the coupe.

Does anyone know about a remote/controller that can work? etc 2 buttons so I don't need to wire new wires thru the firewall of the car as it's starting to get tight and I'm struggelign to drill thru it without making it look ugly.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

Hi @Joveice

• You do not need to run wires internally, in fact, you should not do it because the power source and utility item consuming electricity are both external (it is not, for example, a high powered sub woofer).
  • Use the power directly from the battery to power the lights, these wires and the LED light's ground wires should be of sufficient gauge and quality.
  • You will only need to pass one wire through the firewall into the cabin, and this can usually be feed into the bunch already entering the hole because the wire will not pass any high loads or current as it would be connected to the internal high beam switch's wiring loom and a physical switch that allows the lights to be off when needed.
  • You will also need a relay as this acts as another switch triggered by the operator (or a light sensor) switching the on the lighting circuit. Once that circuit is activated, and when the high-beam light circuit is activated, the LED's will turn on. Subsequently, if another car on the road approaches from the opposite direction all the operator (or a light sensor) needs to do is dip the headlights as per usual and all the LED's will switch off too.

The LED lights draw current directly from the battery, here is a basic diagram, and below that is a more complex one with a five-pole relay.

LED_Lights.png.dec09340584b7c8d3614a287a5b31c9a.png

Notice that the wire gauge changes when wiring the external compared to the internal wires. Also, this diagram shows the new lights using the vehicles fuse block. However, it is possible to install a fuse inline from the battery to the first bridge on the relay (pole 30).

COMPLETE_DIAGRAM.png.5f42b93e110266fdc6a0e9c4aaa6bbba.png

The relay uses the small voltage from the internal wiring loom to power a magnetic field which then closes the high voltage circuit, and the lights are powered.

relay_animation.thumb.gif.c30e090db9ebce69c836eeeaf4fb07a5.gif

I hope this helps Steve ☮️

Edited by SydneySideSteveSomewheres
Edited later by writer

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

41 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Hi @Joveice

• You do not need to run wires internally, in fact you should not do it because the power source and utility item consuming electricity are both external (it is not, for example, a high powered sub woofer).
  • Use the power directly from the battery to power the lights, these wires and the LED light's ground wires should be of sufficient gauge and quality.
  • You will only need to pass one wire through the firewall into the cabin, and this can usually be feed into the bunch already entering the hole because the wire will not pass any high loads or current. As it would be connected to the internal high beam switch's wire and a physical switch that allows the lights to be off when needed.
  • You will also need a relay as this acts as another switch triggered by the operator switching the lights on and once that circuit is activated then when the high beam lights are activated the LED's turn on. Subsequently if another car approaches from the opposite direction all the driver needs to do is dip the headlights as per normal and the LED's will switch off too.

The LED lights draw current directly from the battery, here is a basic diagram, and below that is a more complex one with a five pole relay.

LED_Lights.png.dec09340584b7c8d3614a287a5b31c9a.png

Notice that the wire gauge changes when wiring the external compared to the internal wires. Also, this diagram shows the new lights using the vehicles fuse block, however, it is possible to install a fuse inline from the battery to the first bridge on the relay (pole 30).

COMPLETE_DIAGRAM.png.5f42b93e110266fdc6a0e9c4aaa6bbba.png

Basically the relay uses the small voltage from the internal wiring to power a magnetic field which then closes the high voltage circuit and the lights are powered.

relay_animation.thumb.gif.c30e090db9ebce69c836eeeaf4fb07a5.gif

hope this helps steve ☮️

I already have everything set up, I'm looking for a remote solution for my button so I can have multiple buttons without adding wires to my coupe.

PS: This woulden't work on my car as it's negative controlled.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

On 11/8/2019 at 12:36 AM, Joveice said:

I already have everything set up, and I'm looking for a remote solution for my button so I can have multiple buttons without adding wires to my coupe.

PS: This wouldn't work on my car as it's negative controlled.

Are you sure your motor vehicle has positive ground?

My understanding of what you are saying is that the positive terminal of the battery (which is the fat one of the two) on your car is connected to the chassis?

Regardless of that @Joveice, if you look at the *.giff that I uploaded a little closer you will notice that the positive (+) and negative (-) change on the relay, so it does not matter whether the current passing through them has a positive or a negative discharge, as they both create the magnet that attracts the metal bridge arm and closes the switch thus completing in this case the LED light circuit you want to control!

If your coupe is a 1950-60's or 70's vehicle, they are not hard to convert to negative earth systems as the only thing that is needed, is to change the polarity of the generator (called re-polarising), or replace the old tech with a more reliable and efficient alternator. And if this old vehicle is gasoline (petrol) driven you could also change the terminals of the primary coil over as well to make the spark plug, spark, arc in the same direction.

Perhaps @Joveice you have over complicated the message, for example, if you consider the first circuit diagram which shows only that the circuit is being grounded (no polarity, i.e. + positive or – negative mentioned). Then every switch you wish to employ to turn on an LED light bank would need that circuit whether that is, as I show in the second more complete circuit diagram, one switch triggering all the LED's which has only one low gauge wire inside the cabin. Or three switches and three wires attached to the internal wiring loom, which would need three of these fused circuits (as below).

Powered_Single_LED_Light.thumb.png.135434af72a6a481f70c054206a0f62b.png

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).