NVR behind CGNAT, any workarounds?

PeterT

Hi everyone, I want to deploy an NVR at the family weekend house. The ISP uses carrier grand NAT, so my public ip shared with other customers, and my router's ip is in the private ip range (10.somthing.sth.sth). Of course a solution like noip.com or other dynamic dns solutions will not work. But, teamviewer works just fine. My idea is to buy a Hikvision NVR which is remotely managable via the Hik Connect. Is the Hik Connect works just like a ddns and refreshes the external ip of the NVR or is it "makes a tunnel" between the NVR and the remote computer like teamviewer does? Or if it's not like that, do I have any solution, like vpn or something?

(Other ISPs are not available at the street, and fix IP is horrible expensive at that ISP)

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, if i wrong please correct me. Thanks for the answers.  :)

MSI GT62VR Laptop  // i7-6700HQ & GTX1070 & 16GB RAM//

Studying Software Information Technology at Hungary. 

Can't answer about the tool specifically. But VPN can be used, if you deploy a server to somewhere where you can connect to with an external IP (home, if connectivity allows, or cloud, such as AWS, Hetzner, DO etc). Then you can connect two clients to it, one is yourself and other one is a computer/device at the family weekend house.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

6 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Can't answer about the tool specifically. But VPN can be used, if you deploy a server to somewhere where you can connect to with an external IP (home, if connectivity allows, or cloud, such as AWS, Hetzner, DO etc). Then you can connect two clients to it, one is yourself and other one is a computer/device at the family weekend house.

At home i have an Ubuntu server NAS, so that could work, but if possible, i prefer the native Hikvision thing that i mentioned. So still waiting for answers to that. 

Thanks for your answer, jj9987.

You could use Zero Tier, it is a vpn that gives every device on a zero tier network an internal ip that you can access from any device in the same zero tier network

• 2 weeks later...

Replying to my own post, because no one seems to be familiar with my question.

Fo orotherpeople, if you interested, here is my experience.

First of all, Hikvision is working flawlessly with the Hik Connect app.

In the site hik-connect.com there's link to nvr's ip with the remote management port, that's not working because it detects the ISP external ip, and the ISP obviously doesn't have a port forwarding set up just for me. But I don't really need that kind of remote management, view back and live is enough for me.

So in one word it works out of the box, but for a b plan OpenVPN is always there if needed.

NordVPN (I know, bad word these days) offers a VPN service that gives you a static and public IP address meant for exactly what you are trying to do. If you sign up for that service and are able to connect to it via your router, then it should be just as good as if your ISP gave you a public IP. If your router doesn't support that, then you could try putting an old dummy computer between your modem and router to handle the VPN connection.

If you don't want to use Nord, then you could do the same thing with an Hosting service. Just find the cheapest VSP option out there (should be able to find something for less than $10 a month), you can then setup the VSP as an OpenVPN server and connect to it from your router. Then route the VSP's public IP back to your router. That is FAR from an easy thing to do, but if you already know Linux networking pretty well, it can be done.