English language sometime surprise me

ReadyPlayerOne

How tf the word COLONEL pronounce Kernel when there is no fk ER in the word COLONEL?! 

COLONEL is like COLON with EL slap onto the end and now this word COLONEL pronounce KERNEL with ER out of nowhere. 

The word KERNEL pronounce kernel is correct because there is ER in the word KERNEL but COLONEL pronounce KERNEL with no ER in the word COLONEL like how tf is this possible? 

1 hour ago, xARACHN1D said:

If it wasn't for anybody we would all be speaking Mesopotamian.

The British are themselves Germans. Ever heard of Anglo-Saxon? Those are Germanic tribes. English also belongs to the Germanic language tree. 

For Americans, most trace their ancestry to Germany as well. In fact, German states sent the most immigrants to USA in the 1800s and their record of sending the most immigrants wasn't surpass until the late 2010s by Mexico. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

The British are themselves Germans. Ever heard of Anglo-Saxon? Those are Germanic tribes. English also belongs to the Germanic language tree. 

For Americans, most trace their ancestry to Germany as well. In fact, German states sent the most immigrants to USA in the 1800s and their record of sending the most immigrants wasn't surpass until the late 2010s by Mexico. 

I said in this post how I was joking.

53 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

You right, I was honestly not serious. I do know there were other civilations.

english has a lot of french in it

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

3 hours ago, wasab said:

To oversimplify it, the original Old English (which started out as Old High German) has been greatly diluted by Old French (carried over by the Norman invasion and was spoken when England occumpied much of what is now France), which consisted of Norse and Frankish, Latin and the native Celtic languages, such as Common Brittonic dialects, such as Cumbric, Breton, Welsh, and Cornish, before the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes first started coming over, further diluted with Norse languages by later invasions by Vikings, and with a smattering of other languages over time. English is now a mongrel of umpteen different languages and has been further altered by corruption due to laziness and ignorance.

A huge percentage of immigrants to the U.S. during the 19th century were Irish, coming at a close second behind the Germans, many of whom were fleeing the famine caused by the potato blight of the mid 1800s exacrbated by the "indifference" of the British government and British property owners in Ireland (Ireland lost 2/3rds of her population of roughly 3 million back in the mid 1800s, roughly 1 million to emigration and roughly 1 million to starvation).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

42 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

A huge percentage of immigrants to the U.S. during the 19th century were Irish, coming at a close second behind the Germans

Heck no, various German states sent tons more, especially after the US Homestead Act. Europeans came in drove during this time, none rivaled the Germans in numbers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

57 minutes ago, wasab said:

Heck no, various German states sent tons more, especially after the US Homestead Act. Europeans came in drove during this time, none rivaled the Germans in numbers. 

Not according to immigration records. See http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/immigration/pdfs/by_region/region_table.pdf

This doesn't include the numerous mid 1800s Irish death ships (ships turned away from legal ports of entry due to disease on the ships and landed elsewhere illegally) and the ones that just landed illegally for various other reasons.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

7 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Not according to immigration records. See http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/immigration/pdfs/by_region/region_table.pdf

This doesn't include the numerous mid 1800s Irish death ships (ships turned away from legal ports of entry due to disease on the ships and landed elsewhere illegally) and the ones that just landed illegally for various other reasons.

I consider Austrian as ethic German. Also, add those numbers and see which country sent the most overall. I doubt Irish is anywhere a close 2nd.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/5/2019 at 3:46 AM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If it wasn't for the British you'd be still speaking in Spanish. 

On 11/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

if it wasn't for the Americans (twice), the Brits would be speaking German.

Remembered an episode from Friends because of this, specifically in the aftermath of Ross's disastrous wedding. Elliot Gould, who plays Ross' dad, says this to Emily's father who is English (at about the 2:10 mark):

On 11/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, WereCatf said:

Just wait til someone comes and tells ya to go get some durries at the servo, mate.

That... is not English.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 11/5/2019 at 8:48 AM, ReadyPlayerOne said:

I'm italian

english is a german language, has an intimate history with french and latin. A direction i will point you in is to study our vowels, and study the roots of your own language. We only have five vowels in normal writing but we have multiple ways of pronouncing them, and this changes regionally. The way I pronounce vowels in NZ is totally different to an american for example. It all makes sense if you can tell if a modern english word originated from german, latin, french, or old english.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:14 AM, xARACHN1D said:

If it wasn't for anybody we would all be speaking Mesopotamian.

didnt the ancient world speak greek?

1 hour ago, Bacon soup said:

english is a german language, has an intimate history with french and latin. A direction i will point you in is to study our vowels, and study the roots of your own language. We only have five vowels in normal writing but we have multiple ways of pronouncing them, and this changes regionally. The way I pronounce vowels in NZ is totally different to an american for example. It all makes sense if you can tell if a modern english word originated from german, latin, french, or old english.

Speaking of modern language, Israelis literally revive an extinct language, the ancient Hebrew, and invented many new words like cars, computers, and airplanes as well as new sets of grammars to modernize it.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/4/2019 at 12:46 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If it wasn't for the British you'd be still speaking in Spanish. 

you would not be alive

changing history changes current time

watch Back to the Future!

4 hours ago, Bacon soup said:

You aren' paying attention. Again, to oversimplify it, the original Old English (which started out as Old High German) has been greatly diluted by Old French, which consisted of Norse and Frankish (carried over by the Norman invasion and was spoken when England occupied much of what is now France), Latin and the native Celtic languages, such as Common Brittonic dialects, such as Cumbric, Breton, Welsh, and Cornish, before the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes first started coming over, further diluted with Norse languages by later invasions by Vikings, and with a smattering of other languages over time. English is now a mongrel of umpteen different languages and has been further altered by corruption due to laziness and ignorance.

4 hours ago, Bacon soup said:

The Mesopotamians preceded the Greeks.

3 hours ago, wasab said:

Speaking of modern language, Israelis literally revive an extinct language, the ancient Hebrew, and invented many new words like cars, computers, and airplanes as well as new sets of grammars to modernize it.

Irish Gaelic was nearly extinct until Irish scholars (such as Padraig Pierce) started working at reviving it in the late 19th to early 20th century (much to the "dismay" of the British, who were doing their best to extinguish it) and is now required study in schools in the Republic. Many, if not most or all, road signs in the Republic are in English and Irish Gaelic. 

Jeannie

On 11/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Heck, I've been speaking English for all my life, far longer than most of you have been alive (most likely, more than twice as long) and I didn't understand that. 

I dunno.  I’ve been peeing sitting down for a long time.  Feels like a long time anyway.  My back and knees certainly think so.  The earliest cartoon I remember seeing as a kid was “K.C. and the sunshine band”.  They animated em and turned em into international crime fighters.  They had a “computer” that looked suspiciously like a pipe organ with square lights all over it.  I wanted one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My understanding is that the British isles was invaded at one time or another by just about everyone and they all left a few words.  The reason “sheep” and “mutton” are such different words is the lords spoke one language and the last set of lords who were now the peasants spoke a different one.  The peasants raised sheep but didn’t get to eat them.  The lords ate mutton but didn’t have to raise it.

english is a pidgin.  A slapped together hodgepodge of ancient European languages the often no longer exist in the form they did.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My favorite example of the English language being trash is in math where out of all of the letters that we could use for a variable we had to choose the one that most closely resembles one of the symbols we already use. (X)

8 hours ago, Keith W said:

Really??

Arrogant for the win.

I suggest you brush up a little more on your history.

Really? And who do you think was going to defeat the Germans in Europe during WWI and WWII if the Americans hadn't entered the those wars? 

Jeannie

13 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Really? And who do you think was going to defeat the Germans in Europe during WWI and WWII if the Americans hadn't entered the those wars? 

This one is an old argument has been debated for a very long time.  Iirc the logic path goes Iirc ww1 would have ended as a stalemate with no treaty of Versailles, but something completely different instead, at which point the history of Europe would have changed completely and there would have been no ww2 as we know it.  Ignoring ww1 and going straight to ww2 the argument is stronger, but the US didn’t get into WW2 to fight Germany.  They got into world war 2 because Japan attacked Hawaii.

14 hours ago, Bacon soup said:

I said it like three times but I was jk.

46 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Really? And who do you think was going to defeat the Germans in Europe during WWI

Unclear - what makes you think Germany would have won WWI in that case?

46 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

and WWII if the Americans hadn't entered the those wars? 

The USSR

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

but the US didn’t get into WW2 to fight Germany.  They got into world war 2 because Japan attacked Hawaii.

and rushed to Europe Zapp-Brannigan-style in a race against the Soviet Union. Although you can change "German" for "Russian" in the original sentence, I guess :P

33 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Unclear - what makes you think Germany would have won WWI in that case?

The USSR

and rushed to Europe Zapp-Brannigan-style in a race against the Soviet Union. Although you can change "German" for "Russian" in the original sentence, I guess :P

Still wouldn’t have gotten to the U.K.  the soviet government had enough trouble even getting their troops to leave old soviet borders.  How far away from the Soviet Union Russian troops would have gotten is vague. We’re arguing about past alternate history.  Stronger is not definitive.  There is no definitive.

this just doesn’t matter.  It didn’t happen.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This one is an old argument has been debated for a very long time.  Iirc the logic path goes Iirc ww1 would have ended as a stalemate with no treaty of Versailles, but something completely different instead, at which point the history of Europe would have changed completely and there would have been no ww2 as we know it.  Ignoring ww1 and going straight to ww2 the argument is stronger, but the US didn’t get into WW2 to fight Germany.  They got into world war 2 because Japan attacked Hawaii.

Japan attacking Peal Harbor was not the reason we fought Germany. It was German U-boat attacks on American shipping that brought us into the European theater.

Jeannie

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Still wouldn’t have gotten to the U.K.  the soviet government had enough trouble even getting their troops to leave old soviet borders.  How far away from the Soviet Union Russian troops would have gotten is vague...

If the Americans hadn't entered the war, Germany would have essentially been fighting only on the Eastern Front (even if England hadn't been bombed into submission yet) and would have had far more assets to throw at the Russians. As it was, it was more the Russian winter and Germany's overextended supply lines that caused Germany to fail on that front than the abilities of the Russian military, which was pretty ragtag at that time.

Jeannie