HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

keep up the amazing work!

I cant wait to see the finished work

keep up the amazing work!

I cant waite to see it finished

Thank you, neither can I! :D

Cable Progress - Small Update

Not too much today, I've been busy making cables, namely the 8 pin EPS and 6 pin AUX for CPU0.

Took about another 6 hours. :D

I've also done a few hours of lacing on the 24 pin and the CPU0 wires.

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2013-06-21--01--cpu0-power.j

aw--helios--2013-06-21--02--24pin.jpeg

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

What did you use to keep them correctly ? On your second pics I see some tiny black lines, what is this ?

He sewed them so they wouldn't move.

What did you use to keep them correctly ? On your second pics I see some tiny black lines, what is this ?

That's 0.25 mm nylon thread (the same on I'm using for tying down the paracord at the wires'

ends).

He sewed them so they wouldn't move.

Indeed. :)

Ye sure, but how ?

Kinda hard to imagine with a picture.

I will do a video tutorial on it, but first I need to figure out a good way to do that. I

need to make a good camera/lighting setup so that you can actually see what's going on while

I do it. So it will still take me a while to get that online.

If you want to do your own research you can google "cable lacing", there's a few vids on youtube

about it NASA has a nice instruction manual on it.

You can also have a look at the paragraph on cable lacing in this post from my other build log.

looking good

Thanks! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

That's 0.25 mm nylon thread (the same on I'm using for tying down the paracord at the wires'

ends).

I will do a video tutorial on it, but first I need to figure out a good way to do that. I

need to make a good camera/lighting setup so that you can actually see what's going on while

I do it. So it will still take me a while to get that online.

If you want to do your own research you can google "cable lacing", there's a few vids on youtube

about it NASA has a nice instruction manual on it.

You can also have a look at the paragraph on cable lacing in this post from my other build log.

Thanks man, I appreciate that :) Since I'm done with Ln2 bench, i'll take a look on this and how to do it myself :) 

Doesn't mean that I don't want to see your video tutorial :)

Keep up

Dammit, you've ruined my carpet sir. I keep drooling...

hahhaaahah nice one :D LOOL

Ye sure, but how ?

Kinda hard to imagine with a picture.

There is a tutorial on cable sewing on youtube.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Dammit, you've ruined my carpet sir. I keep drooling...

Hehe, that one got an actual LOL from me. :lol:

There is a tutorial on cable sewing on youtube.

[...]

Indeed. I did actually start my research with that one, but I ended up mixing in some

other information and tutorials.

Here's a general video on lacing cables. It's not specific to computers but provided

me with some more insight into common techniques used for this.

Cable Lacing Sketches

Since I've been asked several times now how I did the lacing I've drawn up a few

very rough (and confusing :lol: ) sketches. Since I can't yet do the video this

is all I got at the moment.

Basic Concept

As you can see (I hope), the basic concept is to have a thread running across

the top and bottom of the wire bundle and then do loops around them.

When you do a downwards loop, you go straight down, and when you come back up

again, you change one wire over when you're in the middle. This pulls the next

wire to the ones you've already laced.

2013-06-21--lacing-3d.png

Front-View Step by Step

Step 1

First you loop the lace around the wire pack like this. Whenever there's a

crossing of wires in the third dimesion, red denotes the wire running in the

foreground.

Magenta represents continuity between steps. This is all just one piece of lace,

not several.

2013-06-21--lacing-step-1.png

Step 2

After that, loop the lace around the vertical end part once and go between the

first pair of wires. This is the loop by itself:

2013-06-21--lacing-step-2a.png

And within context:

2013-06-21--lacing-step-2b.png

Step 3

After that you go across the package of wires using vertical loops. As mentioned,

you go down straight and when you come back up you switch one wire over.

2013-06-21--lacing-step-3a.png

With context:

2013-06-21--lacing-step-3b.png

Step 4

At the last pair of wires, instead of going one wire over (there's no wire there

of course ;)), you go back across the entire package between the two layers, then

loop around the vertical end again (as in the beginning) and go to where the start

of the lace comes out. Then you make a knot.

2013-06-21--lacing-step-4a.png

Which then leaves you with this mess:

2013-06-21--lacing-overall.png

Note: It's quite tricky to keep everything taut all the time. Instead of trying that,

simply tighten down at both ends of the lace between steps (you'll easily realize when

the package is not tightly packed). It greatly depends on what kind of lace you use.

Nylon is very slippery and quite difficult to work with, lacing cord (usually waxed

cotton) is quite convenient.

I will still do a video, but in the mean time this might help a bit. I know it's a

bit messy, but if you don't understand a specific step let me know and I might be

able to draw up a clearer sketch for some more detail of that part.

EDIT: Something I forgot: I tie the two ends of the thread to two large

paper clips so that I can thread it through the wires. Otherwise this would drive

a person insane. ;)

Just a quick update:

I did a few more wires over the weekend. However, to my great astonishment I had

to realize that the 80 metres of 16 AWG I had ordered are in fact only about 40 m

long.

I've contacted the company and they swear they sent out 80 metres, which leads

me to believe that the other 40 m got stolen on its way to me. I just don't believe

that they would do this on purpose since if I had realized this sooner I could have

easily given them negative feedback on eBay (they have a great reputation, so

surely they would care about this), and I don't think you would accidentally only

pack half the amount of wire ordered by mistake.

Thievery is not as ridiculous as it sounds. Copper is highly desired by thieves around

here, sometimes they dismantle entire railway copper lines (the ground wires, not

the power carrying ones, of course). And since it is very hard to notice (just look at

how long it took me), if it gets noticed at all, it's quite an easy crime to get away

with (espeically considering nobody would ever seriously investigate something as

small as this).

So, I've ordered 60 m more 16 AWG wire and will continue the cable making when

that gets here (if it gets here ).

In the mean time I will have to find something else to keep me busy, I'll let you know

what that is when I find out. :D

Quick update: Here's the cable lacing tutorial I've been talking about:

I've also made a separate thread about it here for any questions and remarks which

would maybe be too off-topic for the build logs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIr9u-sr99g

Woot, yay! :D

Lutro0 has mentioned me on his Facebook page.

Now that's truly flattering. :)

Thanks for doing the tutorial very nice. Not sure if I'll use it, but I love learning new techniques. We all get better as we help each other.

Very cool build and very nice buildlog to read :)

The wiring looks really good, the lacing makes it stand out, and you got a great color combo. The making of video of the reservoir makes me dream of better hardware to mod :D

ZdMods
Finished builds Red 
 Project 180 • Project pǝʇɹǝʌuı • Harman/Kardon HTPC

Those cables are looking AMAZING man! 

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Im going to be following this build log as well, Looking great so far.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                                      RAM: 16gb kington hyperx predator                                                               Drives: 120GB kingston hyperx,1tb westerdigital caviar greeen

Motherboard: Asus Maximus hero vIII                  Graphics Card: geforce Titan xp                                                                                                                                     PSU:XFX 850w pro

Case: Coolermaster HafX                                     CPU Cooler:Undervolted sp120 pushpull H100i                   Deathadder black edition-filco majestouch ninja 2             Monitor:    3xAcer H236HL 

Very nice build. I absolutely love the way you used the cable lacing instead of heatshrink.

Thanks for doing the tutorial very nice. Not sure if I'll use it, but I love learning new techniques. We all get better as we help each other.

That's true. And learning new things is awesome (at least IMHO) :D

Very cool build and very nice buildlog to read :)

The wiring looks really good, the lacing makes it stand out, and you got a great color combo. The making of video of the reservoir makes me dream of better hardware to mod :D

Thanks! And true, there's a lot more things which could use some modding in this

world. ;)

Those cables are looking AMAZING man!

Im going to be following this build log as well, Looking great so far.

Very nice build. I absolutely love the way you used the cable lacing instead of heatshrink.

Thanks folks! :)

Dude this build just looks amazing, especially those sweet sleved cables.

You must invest a shit ton of time into your builds, but they all turn out really great.

Love the ZEUSand love how this one is coming along as well!! :)

sleeving combo looks awesome, where'd you get your paracords from?

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Dude this build just looks amazing, especially those sweet sleved cables.

You must invest a shit ton of time into your builds, but they all turn out really great.

Love the ZEUSand love how this one is coming along as well!! :)

Thanks, man! Yeah the sleeving and lacing really does take up a lot of time. I've

spent 4 hours today just lacing one bundle of cables, and I've only done half of

it so far. Lacing the GPU power cable bundle also took about four hours.

PS: We totally need that expression in German: "Scheiss-Tonne". Although I suppose

it might be a bit more ambiguous than in English due to the nature of the word "Tonne"

in German. I doubt people could easily distinguish between "Scheiss-Tonne", "scheiss

Tonne" and "Scheisstonne", especially in conversation. :lol: 

sleeving combo looks awesome, where'd you get your paracords from?

Thanks! I get my Paracord from thebushcraftstore. They have lots of colours, good

prices and very quick shipping.