HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

Love this so far! The stuff you have modded looks amazing :o

FX 6300 | Sapphire 7770 | G-Skill Ares 8GB | WD Blue 1TB | ASUS M5A78L-M

Tritton Kunai | Logitech Proteus Core G502 | Razer Blackwidow Tournament 

That's the most beautiful fan ever. Glad to see the ball rolling again (ever so slowly) :D

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Love this so far! The stuff you have modded looks amazing :o

That's the most beautiful fan ever. Glad to see the ball rolling again (ever so slowly) :D

Thanks fellas! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Thanks fellas! :)

I almost feel like saying 'stop'. Because we all want you to recover :wub:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

EDIT:

To be certain I just checked, and the official designation is indeed

Electrical Engineering + Information Technology BSc.

It's strange to see those two together, but ok :)

Those are the best looking fans I have ever seen. One schitzel doesn't suffice, so here's another one:

schnitzel.jpg

Anyways, Alpen, can we have a schnitzel party once this thing is done? 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I almost feel like saying 'stop'. Because we all want you to recover :wub:

Haha, no worries, I have no intention of overdoing it. But thanks!

It's strange to see those two together, but ok :)

Well, I suspect it's mainly due to the broad nature of the degree. You can do mainly

electrical engineering, electronics, IT or a combination thereof, depending on how

you select your courses.

Those are the best looking fans I have ever seen. One schitzel doesn't suffice, so here's another one:

<schnitzel>

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the result. :)

Come to think of it, we should have a schnitzel emoticon around here. 

Anyways, Alpen, can we have a schnitzel party once this thing is done?

Sure. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Wow, those fans .. Damn, no words haha. That is just sexy! 

As dessert, have some brownies! 

Brownie300dpi.jpg

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Quit showing me food! I'm fat enough already yum. Those fans are very cool for sure! All fans sre definitely not made to be disassembles. I sent Sam 4 Noctua PWM fans because you can't take them apart and masking them would be a pain and I bought them right before they changed the colors from butt ugly. I broke 2 of 4 for the fans that came with the case and replaces them with AF models and they are beefier and come apart no problem. I have some Spectra fans in my Bender build, I like the way they look. Forgive my incoherent rambling, Got on a roll last night and finally stopped Modding at 7:00Am.

Wow, those fans .. Damn, no words haha. That is just sexy! 

As dessert, have some brownies! 

[...img...]

I can see how things are going to turn out: 20% build log, 80 % food pictures.

Good thing I have a table of contents so people can easily find the actual content. :lol:

Quit showing me food! I'm fat enough already yum. Those fans are very cool for sure! All fans sre definitely not made to be disassembles. I sent Sam 4 Noctua PWM fans because you can't take them apart and masking them would be a pain and I bought them right before they changed the colors from butt ugly. I broke 2 of 4 for the fans that came with the case and replaces them with AF models and they are beefier and come apart no problem. I have some Spectra fans in my Bender build, I like the way they look.

Agreed about masking. Even the Spectre Pros are quite a pain to take apart, and since

I don't dare remove the electronics and the stator I need to mask it very thoroughly

(since the paint has copper particles in it and is therefore condictive :o ).

Forgive my incoherent rambling, Got on a roll last night and finally stopped Modding at 7:00Am.

Ah, can we expect an update any time soon then? :P

MIPS SR-2 Block: Painted Screws

Originally, the MIPS block looked like this:

(click image for full res)

sr2_blocks_front.jpg

sr2_blocks_back.jpg

While I really like the block, the standard steel screws have always been bugging

me. They did make a Nickel Edition, for which those screws are of course much better

suited, but to me this just never really looked 100% right. I considered going with

black screws, but then I thought I might as well add some contrast in there while

I'm at it and painted the screws in copper today (same paint I'm using for the

fans).

I have to say, I really like the result. Also, apologies about how dirty the large block

looks in this picture, the lighting hit it just at the right angle to bring it out perfectly. :lol:

It has lots of fine marks and scratches on it because the Acetal is so soft, so I will

be polishing this a bit before putting it in. But I wanted to show you the current state

of affairs anyway.

aw--helios--2013-09-15--01--sr-block.png

aw--helios--2013-09-15--02--sr-block-cpu

aw--helios--2013-09-15--03--sr-block-mai

this looks really sexy. i'm sad that mips is out of buisness

this looks really sexy. i'm sad that mips is out of buisness

Thanks! And agreed, that really does suck. I really like their understated and

subtle block designs, and they made M/B blocks for quite a few boards that weren't

exactly sold by the millions (such as the SR-2).

When making my decision I also looked at the EKWB block for the SR-2, but I like

this one much better. Cleaner lines, less playful.

Not really my thing... I think black screws would've looked better.

Hehe, that's OK. I seriously considered that, but I didn't really want to have one

huge black blob over my M/B. Also, since the acetal is kind of black-greyish (depending

on the light), it would have been extremely difficult to get screws that really matched

the block. And I'd rather have some stark contrast than two blacks which don't match

exactly.

But yes, it does result in a rather different look than all-black screws.

MIPS SR-2 Block: Painted Screws

Originally, the MIPS block looked like this:

Copper

COPPAH

While I really like the block, the standard steel screws have always been bugging

me. They did make a Nickel Edition, for which those screws are of course much better

suited, but to me this just never really looked 100% right. I considered going with

black screws, but then I thought I might as well add some contrast in there while

I'm at it and painted the screws in copper today (same paint I'm using for the

fans).

I have to say, I really like the result. Also, apologies about how dirty the large block

looks in this picture, the lighting hit it just at the right angle to bring it out perfectly. :lol:

It has lots of fine marks and scratches on it because the Acetal is so soft, so I will

be polishing this a bit before putting it in. But I wanted to show you the current state

of affairs anyway.

Coopa

cooppeeerr

acetals

Beautifully crafted block.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Thanks! And agreed, that really does suck. I really like their understated and

subtle block designs, and they made M/B blocks for quite a few boards that weren't

exactly sold by the millions (such as the SR-2).

When making my decision I also looked at the EKWB block for the SR-2, but I like

this one much better. Cleaner lines, less playful.

Hehe, that's OK. I seriously considered that, but I didn't really want to have one

huge black blob over my M/B. Also, since the acetal is kind of black-greyish (depending

on the light), it would have been extremely difficult to get screws that really matched

the block. And I'd rather have some stark contrast than two blacks which don't match

exactly.

But yes, it does result in a rather different look than all-black screws.

The thing is, I think that there are too many "mis-allignments". i.e. the screws aren't really ordened in any particular way.

Beautifully crafted block.

I concur :wub:

The thing is, I think that there are to many "mis-allignments". i.e. the screws aren't really ordened in any particular way.

I see what you mean. The reason for their (mis)alignment is actually the copper

inserts, most screws bolt into those. Only way to avoid that would be to make

the block (or at least the bottom part) from a solid block of copper. Or maybe

you could change the shape of the cold plates, but having their shape dictated

by how the screws align on the other side doesn't really seem to be right either.

The copper inserts are of course determined by the chipset locations (N/B, S/B,

mosfets, 2xNF200).

IIRC a guy on OCN made a few mono-blocks a while back for himself and a few people.

They were pretty awesome, but I'm not sure it would have been economically viable

to actually manufacture them as a profit-oriented company (the block set cost

~200 USD as it is here, a solid copper plate would surely have raised the price

significantly).

I don't really have a problem with the screw alignment because I respect the engineering

decision behind it (form follows function, or some such nonsense :lol: ), but I can

see how it would bother some people.

I don't really have a problem with the screw alignment because I respect the engineering

decision behind it (form follows function, or some such nonsense :lol: ), but I can

see how it would bother some people.

I am a huge 'form follows function' advocate (hence, K'nex case), so I get that the screws are in their optimal position. I would just try to not emphasize them if they aren't "organized" in a specific way. My OCD doesn't approve :P But I'm sure that, once you install those bad boys in your system, everything will blend in nicely ;)

Smexy ;)

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.0GHz | Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB | GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  | SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: OCZ 750W ATX12V | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Case: Corsair Carbide 300R | Display: BenQ RL2455HM 24"

That it is indeed. :wub: 

As for the topic:

Various Small Bits

I've been asked if I could provide some info on the Platimax for those who are

considering sleeving this PSU as well.

The GPU Cable

The GPU power cables on the Platimax consist of one 12 pin connector on the PSU side

(six 12 V pins and six ground pins) and two 6+2 pin connectors on the GPU side. Since

that's four more connectors on the GPU side than on the PSU side, the additional ground

wires are clamped together on their way back to the PSU.

aw--helios--2013-07-18--01--platimax-GPU

GPU Cable - Ground Wire Clamp

There are two of these clamps per GPU cable, one for each 6+2 pin connector. I haven't

really found a nice way to get around these so what I did is simply remake the entire

cable, as you've seen in my previous post. Since my wires needed to be a lot longer

anyway this wasn't a big deal.

aw--helios--2013-07-18--02--platimax-GPU

The 24 Pin + 8 Pin EPS

The 24 pin cable is bundled with one of the 8 pin EPS cables. There is another 8 pin

EPS which you can run separately, and which also has a 4 pin for the CPU on it, should

you need that instead.

aw--helios--2013-07-18--03--platimax-24p

And the other end of the above. There are a few double wires, the most annoying pair

being the ones stacked right on top of each other. Not very nice...

aw--helios--2013-07-18--05--platimax-24p

My Own GPU Cable - PSU Side

Since the Titan has a 6 pin and an 8 pin on its PCB you end up with 14 wires. I took the

additional two ground wires of the PCI-E 8 pin connector and ran them to a different

connector's ground pins on the PSU side.

aw--helios--2013-07-18--06--platimax-GPU

The Raystorms

And now for the pr0n part of today's evening. I've polished the raystorms to a mirror shine.

It's not yet absolutely perfect, but it's not much further... :)

aw--helios--2013-07-18--07--polished-ray

Other Stuff

I'm still experimenting with the copper tubing. I've needed to order some additional parts

for that, so it will take me a week or two until I can continue. Until then I'm a bit stalled.

Unless I think of something else to do, we'll see... ;)

As always, thanks for stopping by. :)

Øhm, du er ikke fra Norge? xD

Ser du har en 20kroning:P

I guess you have been to Norway?

Otherwise, awesome build log! 

Dem cables is sooo nice and tidy!

I am a huge 'form follows function' advocate (hence, K'nex case), so I get that the screws are in their optimal position. I would just try to not emphasize them if they aren't "organized" in a specific way. My OCD doesn't approve :P But I'm sure that, once you install those bad boys in your system, everything will blend in nicely ;)

Hehe, I can respect that. :)

Smexy ;)

Thanks! :)

Øhm, du er ikke fra Norge? xD

Ser du har en 20kroning:P

I guess you have been to Norway?

Otherwise, awesome build log! 

Dem cables is sooo nice and tidy!

My dad has been a few times, most recently this summer. I haven't had the opportunity yet

(my illness has made travel a bit impractical). But I still have time, so some day... :)

And thank you, I must admit I'm quite happy with the cabling result.

You keep amazing me every time I come back here! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Awesome work, I definitely like what you did with the screws.

You keep amazing me every time I come back here!

I aim to please, thanks! :lol:

Awesome work, I definitely like what you did with the screws.

Thank you!

Contrast rules the day. That looks nice, the overall picture is what you see, not just the individual parts. Update coming slowly. precision has it's cost in time!