What is Vsauce's audience 'Level of Intelligence'

The Torrent

I used to think he was some weirdo that idiots watched but i knew nothing about him.

Still i have not watched a single one of his videos however people i hear tell me that he talks about actual legit stuff and its not a 'idiots chanel' and he has a high iq if that means anything and what not.

Whats his channel actually about apart from making simple things seem complicated - whos it actually aimed at and will watching him make me smarter or stupider?

No offence to any fanboys, as i said i've never watched him.

@The Torrent

If I may, I suggest you watch some of his videos and you may just answer your own question. . . . .

But yes his videos are based on legit science.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

If I may suggest you watch some of his videos and you may just answer your own question. . . . .

I just wanted to check exactly that if its science of if i'm gonna be trapped in some next voodoo philosophy bullshit. Will have a look later thanks.

17 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I just wanted to check exactly that if its science of if i'm gonna be trapped in some next voodoo philosophy bullshit. Will have a look later thanks.

Haha Nooo. It's not philosophy but actual theorems and principles. It's a cool little channel, I enjoy watching his channel sometimes. It's pretty basic concepts he teaches so it's nothing crazy impressive but good enough for YouTube.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I dont know how old you are but you better start making up your mind at one point. You really shouldnt care what others say about others. If that channel makes you learn new things, that would mean you are benefiting from it or increasing your POV. Never judge before experiencing it. What do you have to lose? 10 minutes of your life? just give it a go and make your own mind, instead of getting herded by someone else.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I dont know how old you are but you better start making up your mind at one point. You really shouldnt care what others say about others. If that channel makes you learn new things, that would mean you are benefiting from it or increasing your POV. Never judge before experiencing it. What do you have to lose? 10 minutes of your life? just give it a go and make your own mind, instead of getting herded by someone else.

ive had bad experiences from sketchy philosophers lol

Just now, The Torrent said:

ive had bad experiences from sketchy philosophers lol

That is exactly what you get from only learning one side of any story. Always read up from multiple sources to make up your own mind. Everyone tries to manipulate each other and thats how this world is.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, lewdicrous said:

I suggest you watch his mind field series, it's currently free. You'll see the amount of scientific stuff he does.

Here are the 3 seasons. if you want.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/479699-lewdicrous/?status=246680&type=status

I just watched that fear one on his youtube,

pretty interesting kept me hooked for 40 minutes,

but disappointing ending imo

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

Still i have not watched a single one of his videos however people i hear tell me that he talks about actual legit stuff and its not a 'idiots chanel' and he has a high iq if that means anything and what not.

aren't you the one to judge a book by its covers.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'd say the comments are pretty civil and many of his viewers seem have varying degrees of knowledge of various scientific fields. I've read some pretty interesting discussions where I didn't even get half of what they were talking about lol.

As for the channel or Michael himself, I've learned a lot from him but a lot of it still goes over my head. I only wish I took a real interest in science in general when I was younger and in school. I only started really finding it fascinating as I've gotten older and now I actually enjoy learning about these kinds of things. I feel like I'm playing catch up though lol.

Just keep in mind that he has two channels he personally hosts, Vsauce and D!NG (which I swear used to be called DONG). I would start with his original Vsauce channel just because it is so well put together. Both are great channels though.

He is also a bit of a meme in his own right.

He has a great video on whether the Earth is flat or round. He actually has some other far more interesting videos but the comment section is pure gold. It's a shame that so many of the flat-Earther comments have been buried. Those were some of the best.

#legitscience

rare with fake news

is vsauce the accented yt'er with glasses and spits out countless yt vids.

its just a case of web search skills is all that is then making a yt vid of what he found.

even watching other yt content, or just copying it

to make a buck!

what i hate is the free content yt'ers put in their vid, the free pictures of a teacher and a pointer, or the classic confused face.

linus grp is famous for facial expression

25 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

is vsauce the accented yt'er...

Every YouTuber has an accent, just like every person. xD

its just a case of web search skills is all that is then making a yt vid of what he found.

even watching other yt content, or just copying it

I don't think he is just copying what he reads but rather educating himself and sharing what he learns with the audience. He is obviously a smart guy with an interest in science even though he has a bachelors degree in psychology and English literature. He even admitted that he isn't a scientist and has no formal training but was just curious and wanted to know more. I'm sure he took some classes in high school and college but it seems he is largely self taught.

Just watching his videos it is clear he isn't just regurgitating information he read but actually has a legit understanding of it.

what i hate is the free content yt'ers put in their vid, the free pictures of a teacher and a pointer, or the classic confused face.

You mean stock photos? It drives me absolutely bananas. It can be appropriate in the right cases but there is definitely an over reliance on them in a lot of YouTube videos.

i have seen others copy, changing a few things here and there. any post secondary person can gather info then disperse it.

To answer the title question, likely average. you know about 100 points give or take one standard deviation.

To comment on the videos,  communicating science concepts in plain English is hard.  True understanding of some of it actually requires a decent education and/or serious experience in the field for many years.  Since hardly anyone has that (those who do don't need Micheal to explain things), the concepts have to be conveyed as best as possible.  For the most part I haven't seen to many people refute his video's therefore can only assume that the content is accurate enough for the intended purpose.

But, like all youtube videos with very clever professionals at the helm,  just remember there is always more to it than can be presented in a 15 minute video.  Therefore enjoy the content, learn something and don't over think it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

..........or is it?

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I thought he was just a meme at first but I only recently watched his videos and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. Very interesting topics that are meant to get your interest going for something you might not have thought about. He also loves taking weird turns when explaining stuff which makes it a quite interesting epxerience. I really wanna find time to watch his MindField series.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 hours ago, comander said:

I could totally see a psychology major watching Mind Field over the course of a summer and it benefitting them the next year. 

Im a med student and I already had psych... no benefits for me lol

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

11 hours ago, comander said:

On balance self learners are more educated. 

I recall coursera commented that while their original hope was the educate the masses, it's mostly been well educated people using their service. 

Even with myself, a lot of what I watch is borderline review but I value getting different spins on things. 

I could totally see a psychology major watching Mind Field over the course of a summer and it benefitting them the next year. 

---

On balance the sub 100iq types prefer watching sports, movies, going to a bar, etc. 

I consider myself to be average and I find his content entertaining.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 11/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, The Torrent said:

I used to think he was some weirdo that idiots watched but i knew nothing about him.

Still i have not watched a single one of his videos however people i hear tell me that he talks about actual legit stuff and its not a 'idiots channel' and he has a high iq if that means anything and what not.

What's his channel actually about apart from making simple things seem complicated - whose it actually aimed at and will watching him make me smarter or stupider?

No offense to any fanboys, as i said I've never watched him.

I like his content because it's interesting he answers a lot of questions I've always had.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900