lower timings or higher frequency for iGPU side

Islam Ghunym

Recently I built a Ryzen system to a friend containing Ryzen 3400G on a B450 mobo (a power limited ITX system), but we are still using an old 8 GB DDR4-2133 CAS 15 in a single channel memory because I still don't know what to pick, the main focus is on the weak part (the iGPU) we are not planning to OC the CPU, but we are going to OC the iGPU and I am looking for 2 modules right now, one of them is a little bit expensive for Ryzen system, but looks way faster in frequency, the other option is a budget one

https://www.newegg.com/team-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820331243   DDR4-4300 CAS 18 (8.37 ns) 130$

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880  DDR4-3600 CAS 16 (8.88 ns) 85$

the upper one is a bit faster for the CPU and I am sure I would experience no difference, but I don't know if this would be the same for iGPU as graphic cards may prefer higher frequency.

what exactly I want to know is the expected difference on games specifically.

I would pick what's know to work stably with that CPU, not sure the 4300 would actually run at those speeds with a 3400G so why pay the price premium? 3600 is a good speed to run and would make a noticeable difference, splitting hairs for a couple extra FPS gets expensive really fast. An external GPU would be the best $/FPS deal however, hands down. Even a modest one.

Side note, if you're looking to unload that 8GB 2133 at a fair price and are in the US shoot me a PM here.

I am running a Ryzen 5 2600 @4.1GHz V 1.41

G.Skill 16GB @2666MHz 18-17-17-17-34 DDR4 3200

RX 590 Sapphire Nitro+ 

I can play Gears 5 in 4K on a 4K TV 40-60FPS.

Hope that helps.

Are those even Ryzen compatible? Can you actually run 4300mhz or even 3600mhz on your system? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I would pick what's know to work stably with that CPU, not sure the 4300 would actually run at those speeds with a 3400G so why pay the price premium? 3600 is a good speed to run and would make a noticeable difference, splitting hairs for a couple extra FPS gets expensive really fast. An external GPU would be the best $/FPS deal however, hands down. Even a modest one.

Side note, if you're looking to unload that 8GB 2133 at a fair price and are in the US shoot me a PM here.

I am not worried about if they will work or not, pretty sure both will work fine with this current build and will surely run even more than 4300, and I see that you did not answer what I am exactly asking and about memory I won't sell it actually I am using it for testing purposes since it works fine in any DDR4 motherboard

7 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Are those even Ryzen compatible? Can you actually run 4300mhz or even 3600mhz on your system? 

and what are Ryzen compatible? and if you don't know that 3600 or even 5000 works then you are newbie and I don't need your info here, it totally depends on the person who is using them.

the current motherboard support up to 4400 without tweaks which does not mean I can't run a 5000 MHz memory on it

oh wow.. good luck. ?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

21 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

and what are Ryzen compatible? and if you don't know that 3600 or even 5000 works then you are newbie and I don't need your info here, it totally depends on the person who is using them.

the current motherboard support up to 4400 without tweaks which does not mean I can't run a 5000 MHz memory on it

i am using 3200 cl14 with smasung memory  works fast and fine for me , just cause motherboard says it can handle 4000 or 5000 memory does not mean it will work, many factors depends on how good the ram was made, cpu etc... but you seem to be a pro then why ask any of us here for help...

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-3400g

Well fine, AMD says 2933Mhz is the max memory speed, anything past that is not guaranteed to work or be stable despite what the board can support because, as you already know, the memory controller is in the CPU. So I'm not exactly sure why you're asking us anything since you seem to know better and a simple search on Google would have told you the correct answer to the question of if Zen+ wants tighter timings or higher speeds and what speed memory can be reliably ran with that processor.

What I really think is going on is that you didn't like the answers you got here and didn't want to do the research yourself.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

Recently I built a Ryzen system to a friend containing Ryzen 3400G on a B450 mobo (a power limited ITX system), but we are still using an old 8 GB DDR4-2133 CAS 15 in a single channel memory because I still don't know what to pick, the main focus is on the weak part (the iGPU) we are not planning to OC the CPU, but we are going to OC the iGPU and I am looking for 2 modules right now, one of them is a little bit expensive for Ryzen system, but looks way faster in frequency, the other option is a budget one

https://www.newegg.com/team-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820331243   DDR4-4300 CAS 18 (8.37 ns) 130$

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880  DDR4-3600 CAS 16 (8.88 ns) 85$

the upper one is a bit faster for the CPU and I am sure I would experience no difference, but I don't know if this would be the same for iGPU as graphic cards may prefer higher frequency.

what exactly I want to know is the expected difference on games specifically.

I can tell you right now that neither of those memory kits will work at the rated speeds in any Ryzen system. For high performance, you need Samsung B-die RAM, and those are not it.

This is currently one of the best performers on the AMD platform: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232803

Any of the 3600 with 16-16-16-36 timings (or 3200 14-14-14-34) should get you the best performance for that system.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

7 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

I can tell you right now that neither of those memory kits will work at the rated speeds in any Ryzen system. For high performance, you need Samsung B-die RAM, and those are not it.

This is currently one of the best performers on the AMD platform: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232803

Any of the 3600 with 16-16-16-36 timings (or 3200 14-14-14-34) should get you the best performance for that system.

Thx for info, keep it away from my posts next time

Go buy the 4300 kit, it'll work perfectly at 4300 without any issues at all.

16 hours ago, Bitter said:

Go buy the 4300 kit, it'll work perfectly at 4300 without any issues at all.

I did not ask what will work and what won't. I asked if there would be a difference and I needed an answer from someone who already had experience with that or at least had some knowledge, but it seems everyone here is ready to answer any question and thinks that he knows everything misleading many people here. this topic was a mistake and closed, I would not ask here if I could find what I need by searching.

About the CPU, the question would be non sense because there is almost no difference for intel and even AMD between better timings or higher frequency from a decade, both are needed and can barely affect gaming on AMD part if there is a powerfull discrete GPU or just a midrange (something like GTX 1060 or better) but here there is only half or less than half of GTX 1060 and non of these kits even the single channel DDR4 I already installed would cause a bottleneck on the CPU side, but it will for sure on the iGPU and I had no experience with iGPUs, AMD has brought something new while CPUs have existed from many years and there is no computer without a CPU

4 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

I did not ask what will work and what won't. I asked if there would be a difference and I needed an answer from someone who already had experience with that or at least had some knowledge, but it seems everyone here is ready to answer any question and thinks that he knows everything misleading many people here. this topic was a mistake and closed, I would not ask here if I could find what I need by searching.

No need to be a dick about it.

Both kits you mentioned are absolute shit for AMD, and are unlikely to have any significant performance difference at a stable setting. AMD REQUIRES quality RAM, unlike Intel. The thing is, it's nearly the same price to get good RAM as it is for those shit kits you mentioned. (and they are still some of the top performers even on Intel, because they're QUALITY RAM)

We're not trying to dodge the question, we're trying to tell you the options you have are some of the worst options you could ever have.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

On 11/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, BTGbullseye said:

No need to be a dick about it.

Both kits you mentioned are absolute shit for AMD, and are unlikely to have any significant performance difference at a stable setting. AMD REQUIRES quality RAM, unlike Intel. The thing is, it's nearly the same price to get good RAM as it is for those shit kits you mentioned. (and they are still some of the top performers even on Intel, because they're QUALITY RAM)

We're not trying to dodge the question, we're trying to tell you the options you have are some of the worst options you could ever have.

Nope, you are just telling me that you don't know the answer, but you have some wrong information that may help......

Maybe you should update your information because you are 2 years outdated untill then come speak here. Anyway I got the 4133 and it worked fine with some tweaks at 4400 MHz. It pushed the iGPU to 1050 level of performance.

As I expected the iGPU seems not to care about timings, but lowering it gave 1 or 2 frames in some titles because the CPU then goes faster while giving higher frequency was prefered so I have delayed the memory even further and adjusted the whole memory timings map, did some changes with infinity fabric and I am good to go, the most important thing that apex legends is now playable, I don't think your shit B-Die samsung will do better than the other 85$ budget option or even OC better except being more expensive to fulfill people "quality" disease

Good for you. ?