Need help buying 2 monitors. 1440p+2160p. Any suggestions?

Hi guys, looking to get 2 displays for an upcoming build. Any recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated as I don’t know lot about monitors. Thanks.

1)       For gaming/regular use – 32” 1440p 120/144hz. The build will most likely have a 5700 XT so freesync would be nice. I dont need HDR for this but how is something like TUF VG32VQ or Samsung C32HG70? Let me know if these are bad choices. These are VA panels; would IPS be better for this? I don’t want ultrawide and don’t need good viewing angles because I’ll be looking at it straight; from like 3 feet away. I’ll also have the setup in the basement, if that’s of any importance…

2)       For media/secondary – 32” 2160p 60hz with HDR. So this is where I’m really stuck. I’ve tried researching HDR on monitors for media and it confused the hell outta me. I have 4K Bluray discs that I wanna be able to watch on this so I’d like it to have HDR just as you would on a 4K TV. What kinda budget am I looking at? Asus recently released their new ProArt series with HDR and Dolby Vision but that’s going for 5000 CAD which is way over my budget. Their PA32UC (without DV) is currently at 2000 CAD. If this is my only choice I cant buy it right now but probably next summer or if it goes on sale. Also, I don’t need to have this monitor within the next couple of months.

What about monitors like Asus CG32UQ, LG 32UL950, or Dell U3219Q? Are these not good enough? Because RTINGS and DisplayNinja are not recommending these or say “limited HDR”.

I know you guys need to know the budget so I guess I would love to keep both monitors under 2000 CAD?  But let me know what kinda budget I’m looking at for my needs. Sorry if I missed any info. Thanks.

I suppose it depends on the type of gaming you'll be doing, but I would stay away from VA panels for gaming use. Mainly because of their higher response times. IPS and TN panels offer the best response time. So for twitch shooters like Call of Duty or MOBA's where timing is super important, I would recommend a TN panel. IPS offers a nice, but costly, compromise between color quality and response time. 

Manufacturers will often tout a 1ms response time but not tell you what response time they're measuring. The response time you want is "GtG" which is "Grey to Grey". Basically how fast the pixel can move from one end of the color spectrum to the other. The response time advertised in VA panels is often MP response time. Which having a low MPRT is fine too because it helps reduce motion blur, but it does not help with input lag.

i7-12700K Cooled by Corsair H150i Elite Capellix | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | AORUS Z690 Elite DDR4 | 32GB (8GB x 4, 3200MHz) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM850 PSU | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Boot Drive

11 hours ago, Thomas_nerd said:

What about the 4K/HDR content that I wanna watch? Are you recommending that I buy this now and buy a 4K monitor in the future?

What are the specific reasons you are recommending this? The reviews I just looked up say it's not worth the price even though they agree it's a good monitor.

4 hours ago, Tacos4all said:

I suppose it depends on the type of gaming you'll be doing, but I would stay away from VA panels for gaming use. Mainly because of their higher response times. IPS and TN panels offer the best response time. So for twitch shooters like Call of Duty or MOBA's where timing is super important, I would recommend a TN panel. IPS offers a nice, but costly, compromise between color quality and response time. 

Manufacturers will often tout a 1ms response time but not tell you what response time they're measuring. The response time you want is "GtG" which is "Grey to Grey". Basically how fast the pixel can move from one end of the color spectrum to the other. The response time advertised in VA panels is often MP response time. Which having a low MPRT is fine too because it helps reduce motion blur, but it does not help with input lag.

I rarely play online. Mostly into third person RPG/shooters. The ones that are cinematic/story driven types. I dont play MOBA games at all. Even FPS, I'll go online once in a while but mostly play for the campaign.

Since this is the case, I suppose I dont need TN panels? What would be your recommendation for these needs?

Do not get TN. Get IPS/VA.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

19 hours ago, Mihle said:

Do not get TN. Get IPS/VA.

Anything specific in mind?

On 11/3/2019 at 4:55 PM, AlienKing said:

I rarely play online. Mostly into third person RPG/shooters. The ones that are cinematic/story driven types. I dont play MOBA games at all. Even FPS, I'll go online once in a while but mostly play for the campaign.

Since this is the case, I suppose I dont need TN panels? What would be your recommendation for these needs?

If that's your use-case, then there's nothing wrong with a VA panel. IPS still gives the most accurate colors, but VA's have the best contrast (deeper blacks and whatnot), though sometimes over saturate the colors if they're not calibrated well. I am not familiar with the products you listed so I can't really say how well calibrated they are out of the box, but you can always tweak it to your liking. You'll save more money going with a VA over an IPS as well but overall stay away from TN as they're the worst IMO in terms of pure visual quality.

i7-12700K Cooled by Corsair H150i Elite Capellix | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | AORUS Z690 Elite DDR4 | 32GB (8GB x 4, 3200MHz) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM850 PSU | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Boot Drive

On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, Tacos4all said:

If that's your use-case, then there's nothing wrong with a VA panel. IPS still gives the most accurate colors, but VA's have the best contrast (deeper blacks and whatnot), though sometimes over saturate the colors if they're not calibrated well. I am not familiar with the products you listed so I can't really say how well calibrated they are out of the box, but you can always tweak it to your liking. You'll save more money going with a VA over an IPS as well but overall stay away from TN as they're the worst IMO in terms of pure visual quality.

Yea I think i'm gonna stick to the TUF monitor. Thanks.