Suggestions for how to mount this keyboard tray?

Okjoek

I bought these slide rails to make a custom keyboard tray and I used an old cabinet shelf as the actual tray, but my desk is an actually rather thin piece on a metal frame and IDK if screwing right up into it will be very secure since I would have to stop part way to avoid punching through the top. Any ideas what I could try?20191101_224805.thumb.jpg.ae8cf54bdb3826d1237cb5f95adf93fe.jpg15726634774763726697634984933710.thumb.jpg.86b7a4c6869a6e3816871b0ed8f00dc9.jpg

20191101_224754.jpg

Maybe cut some 1x2 lumber to fit front to back.  Fasten with screws through the lip of the desk and a small bead of construction adhesive down the length.  Then you can fasten the keyboard tray to the wood.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

3 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Maybe cut some 1x2 lumber to fit front to back.  Fasten with screws through the lip of the desk and a small bead of construction adhesive down the length.  Then you can fasten the keyboard tray to the wood.

I do have some wooden rods like that laying around. I'm hoping for this method I could not only glue these rods to the desk, but be able to screw them into the actual metal frame of the desk which is the actual load bearing part of the table.

The method of using the four rail-mounts to attach the keyboard tray to the underside of the desk-top with six screws per fitting is unsound as per your original concern. However, if you were to connect two metal strips the width of the desk-top, (one for each side of a similar type of material as the rail-mountings), to both of the rail-mount points using nuts and bolts. Then you could attach the metal strips with many screws that are not long enough to drive through the wooden desk-top to the under-side of the table. This method will spread the force needed for retaining your keyboard tray across the entire width of the desk, instead of the six per rail-mount and negate your concern of structural integrity!

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).