windows 10 says no internet but there is

techenthused73

Hi all,

I installed a new router and now Windows 10 is showing a yellow exclamation mark in the system tray showing no internet.  I've tried just about everything resetting DNS changing settings in the properties of the NIC.  Driver is current.   I do have internet access but can't find a fix to this error.   The only thing I thought it was that it was due to having a previous Linksys connect program that setup my previous router and Windows is using a ghost network.  

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

Is it showing "No internet" for your current network connection or the old one?

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

Is it showing "No internet" for your current network connection or the old one?

It seems to be the current one.  I removed the network device in Device Manager that referred to my previous router.   It seems there was a Windows Update of sorts on Tuesday as there is a System Restore point automatically created.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you try restarting the computer?

Yes.  Multiple times.  Have even reset the modem and router a few times.

4 hours ago, techenthused73 said:

Yes.  Multiple times.  Have even reset the modem and router a few times.

So is it that you're getting DNS errors but you have internet access such as if you tried pinging a website by IP?

Did you try setting static DNS servers and see if that fixes it? You may have to specify new DNS servers in your router for DHCP.

I think I've fixed it.   Tried connecting the computer directly to the modem rebooted modem and computer.   Then Windows shows connected to internet.   Then connected modem to router, router to computer.  Reboot both modem and router.  Computer shows connected.  Not exactly sure why other than Windows not recognizing the network from the router and now the network has been reconfigured with Windows.

Thanks for everyone's help though.