Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NVIDIA GeForce 3070/3080/3080 Ti (Ampere): RTX Has No Perf Hit & x80 Ti Card 50% Faster in 4K! (Update 6 ~ Specs / Overview / Details)

While all this sounds really nice, some of it is enough for me to pare back expectations a bit. 

Don't wanna get too hyped. 

The Workhorse

R7 3700X | RTX 2070 Super | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 512GB SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda Compute | Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Station

Core i7 7700H | GTX 1060 | 8GB DDR4-2400 | 128GB SSD + 1TB HGST | Windows 10

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB internal + 128GB microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Pie 9.0 w/ OneUI

• 2 weeks later...

RTX 3060 will still be 6 GB thats all you need to know about shitnvidia.

23 minutes ago, yian88 said:

There does seem to be an indication that Nvidia is treating navi21 like it’s not going to be much and is pulling the standard “10-20% more of the same old garbage because we know you have to eat it” thing.

Time will tell.  I may be waiting for Navi21 or the consoles or even to see what devs do with the console hardware once it is in hand.

dualoply sucks.  The only thing it’s better than is monopoly.  I miss functional antitrust laws.

im mad at the judge who killed 3 point antitrust.  It clearly doesn’t work well.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, yian88 said:

I would agree with that statement, but I'm thinking as long as they have better compression algorithms and higher speed memory, the overall bandwidth should be a step up, which in turn would balance out the need for a larger overall amount of memory. Obviously more memory would be better, but I'll reserve my judgement for when the reviews come.

okay videocardz is gathering that the 3090 might replace the 3080ti in name and the Titan might still be a thing o_o

just leaving this out there, 'cause i think i made a previous comment on one of the threads with the rumour that the xx90 is to replace the titan

I think there are some reasons why we might expect the 3000-series to be priced much better than the 2000-series was:

- RTX didn't turn-out to be as big a deal and a card-seller as Nvidia had hoped. It doesn't help that its performance is terrible to the point that many people simply don't want to use it.

- Nvidia's BS about their large surge in GPU sales not being from crypto-miners blew-up in their faces, with Nvidia being left sitting on a mountain of unsold 2000-series stock.

- The new consoles are going to release this autumn and every sale of a console is profit for Nvidia's main competitor, AMD. Nvidia will surely aim to stymie console purchases by both releasing their 3000-series ahead of them, and offering a more attractive price on them. Otherwise, the new consoles are going to eat into Nvidia's potential profits.

- Due to covid-19, many people are low on funds and can't afford the obscene and abusive prices the 2000-series was listed at. If Nvidia increase prices further at this time, or even if they don't decrease them a bit, it's likely to be seen as callous and offensive by potential customers.

It's also possible that Nvidia upcharged the 2000-series as a last-chance cash-grab, knowing they'd have to drop prices down again with the 3000-series due to the arrival of new consoles.

So, I think there's a chance that we'll see lower prices for the 3000 series. And we should see them because the 2000-series prices are unjustifiable and pure greed.

But, offsetting all these sound logical reasons to lower prices for the 3000 series is the fact that the company in question is Nvidia, which has shown itself to be divorced from rationality and unaware of its surroundings.

4 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think there are some reasons why we might expect the 3000-series to be priced much better than the 2000-series was:

- RTX didn't turn-out to be as big a deal and a card-seller as Nvidia had hoped. It doesn't help that its performance is terrible to the point that many people simply don't want to use it.

- Nvidia's BS about their large surge in GPU sales not being from crypto-miners blew-up in their faces, with Nvidia being left sitting on a mountain of unsold 2000-series stock.

- The new consoles are going to release this autumn and every sale of a console is profit for Nvidia's main competitor, AMD. Nvidia will surely aim to stymie console purchases by both releasing their 3000-series ahead of them, and offering a more attractive price on them. Otherwise, the new consoles are going to eat into Nvidia's potential profits.

- Due to covid-19, many people are low on funds and can't afford the obscene and abusive prices the 2000-series was listed at. If Nvidia increase prices further at this time, or even if they don't decrease them a bit, it's likely to be seen as callous and offensive by potential customers.

It's also possible that Nvidia upcharged the 2000-series as a last-chance cash-grab, knowing they'd have to drop prices down again with the 3000-series due to the arrival of new consoles.

So, I think there's a chance that we'll see lower prices for the 3000 series. And we should see them because the 2000-series prices are unjustifiable and pure greed.

But, offsetting all these sound logical reasons to lower prices for the 3000 series is the fact that the company in question is Nvidia, which has shown itself to be divorced from rationality and unaware of its surroundings.

There were pretty good reasons the non reference 5700xts were supposed to be cheaper than the reference ones.  Didn’t happen though.  They went up in price.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just saying..........

If the raw hardware IPC performance increase of the A100 compared to the V100 at 1410Mhz is 35% then a "TITAN A" or RTX 3090 with 22-24% less CUDA cores (6912 vs 5248-5376) clocked 45% higher at 2045Mhz should match or exceed the A100 in games by 10-13% ~ that being conservative estimate.

Based on data from these sources:

Feel free to nitpick or counter.

3 hours ago, Results45 said:

More rumor hype: 

TDP of 320W. Why and how? Something is not going right unless I'm missing something.

Hasn't that been rumored for awhile now that the TDP was going to be higher?

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

TDP of 320W. Why and how? Something is not going right unless I'm missing something.

I wouldn't deem any of the following to be true just yet: exact TDP, floating point compute performance, total memory bus bandwidth, exact die size, exact boost frequency, and final consumer product branding.

The specs that do seem remotely legit are die variant number, # of CUDA cores, process node, GDDR6, and amount of VRAM.

According to Tom from Moore's Law is Dead and a few other leak analysts both AMD and Nvidia seem to be participating in misinformation efforts (aka "leaking" false specs or skewed partially-true info) to confuse the wider public, but more importantly rival GPU companies.

Until multiple "official sources" or "legit leakers" all confirm the same info, specifics on the type of specs I initially outlined should be treated as rumors.

Posted (edited)

I really hope at least some of these things will be true, I am waiting on building my next PC for this and Zen 3!!

Edited by GionnyBanana
Self censorship :P
1 minute ago, GionnyBanana said:

Damn I hope at least some of these things will be true, I am waiting on building my next PC for this and Zen 3!!

The various stuff is wide ranging.  Everything from an intel like “let’s see how little of an improvement we can make where you’ll still buy stuff.(crude image redacted)” to quite groundbreaking, and pricing has done more or less the same. What the rumors have mostly done for me is convince me that waiting for navi21 may be the correct move

Just now, Bombastinator said:

The various stuff is wide ranging.  Everything from an intel like “let’s see how little of an improvement we can make where you’ll still buy stuff.(crude image redacted)” to quite groundbreaking, and pricing has done more or less the same. What the rumors have mostly done for me is convince me that waiting for navi21 may be the correct move

Really? I guess everything is coming out at the end of 2020 so we will be able to compare green vs red at that point

6 minutes ago, GionnyBanana said:

Really? I guess everything is coming out at the end of 2020 so we will be able to compare green vs red at that point

I’ll likely be doing some shopping around Black Friday I think.  It dovetails with my current lack of cash (Which could of course get much worse in which case argh) my current rig still works fine though for all it being a budget rig these days rather than a hardcore top line rig like it was long ago.  A lot depends on what gets written by devs game wise.  If I can still get by fine with 4/8 I may continue to simply do so.  I personally don’t think it very likely.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ll likely be doing some shopping around Black Friday I think.  It dovetails with my current lack of cash (Which could of course get much worse in which case argh) my current rig still works fine though for all it being a budget rig these days rather than a hardcore top line rig like it was long ago.  A lot depends on what gets written by devs game wise.  If I can still get by fine with 4/8 I may continue to simply do so.  I personally don’t think it very likely.

I too think that I will get 8/16 more likely than 4/8: I really want to get into VR, I tried beatsaber and superhot at a convention and I loved them. Unfortunately my PC does not even have a video card, so I am looking forward to the end of 2020 to finally build a nice rig.

18 minutes ago, GionnyBanana said:

I too think that I will get 8/16 more likely than 4/8: I really want to get into VR, I tried beatsaber and superhot at a convention and I loved them. Unfortunately my PC does not even have a video card, so I am looking forward to the end of 2020 to finally build a nice rig.

Once upon a time they talked about “vr ready” as a thing.  To my memory the lowest end card that would do it was a 970.  That may have nothing to to with reality though.  It didn’t even then as there was basically nothing be out at the time.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Once upon a time they talked about “vr ready” as a thing.  To my memory the lowest end card that would do it was a 970.  That may have nothing to to with reality though.  It didn’t even then as there was basically nothing be out at the time.

From memory, the 970 was the minimum recommended for the Vive. The Rift had lower requirements (I think 960) as they used more software trickery to get away with lower than ideal hardware. As for how good that experience was at minimum, you can see it in a similar way to regular gaming. With minimum hardware you'll likely be using lower settings. More hardware you throw at it, better experience is possible (to a point). The early "made for VR" stuff wan't very demanding on CPU from what I recall. Regular games that happened to support VR also were probably as demanding as they already were.

I still have a 6700T with 1070 in my VR system today, never felt a need to upgrade it, whereas my regular gaming desktops have more powerful CPUs and GPUs. I probably would be looking at upgrading if I were running anything more strenuous than Beat Saber. Hmm... imagine RT in VR. That might make me think about upgrading! It will take more than 20 series to pull it off well I think, since you do need the higher frame rate in this case.

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, EVGA 2080Ti Black, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

Former Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

I ran my Vive off a 970, was fine even though you typically couldn't max out the graphics settings. I've tried running it again recently with the Quest and it was okayish but struggling and stuttering occasionally, guess it's because of the added encoding load. No issues on my 1070 or 2080S.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Take my money. I just got a 1440p monitor and this 5700xt isn't cutting it for me. Ill buy a 3070 at launch

CPU:  Intel 10700k  5.2ghz @1.3V

Mobo: Msi Z490 Gaming edge wifi 

Cooler: Evga clc 360mm aio

Fans: 9 Corsair sp120 rgb pro 

GPU:  Evga Rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra gaming 

Ram: 32gb Corsair rgb pro ddr4 3600mhz 

Case: Lian li pc011 

PSU: Corsair Rm850x

Storage: 2Tb Samsung Nvme ssd

Display: Monoprice dark matter 34inch 3440x1440 144hz

Mouse: Logitech G703

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

43 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Take my money. I just got a 1440p monitor and this 5700xt isn't cutting it for me. Ill buy a 3070 at launch

Interesting.  How so?

On 6/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, Results45 said:

Well you can get used GTX 1060s and RX 580s in decent condition right now on OfferUp, LetGo, and Mercari for as low as $100 ($130 CAD). I wouldn't be surprised if used listings pop up next year consisting of GTX 1660 Supers & RX 5600/5600XTs priced at $100-$125 ($150 CAD) and RTX 2060S/2070Ss & RX 5700/5700XTs at $150-$200 ($250 CAD max).

Of course this is assuming that both RTX and Radeon cards arriving this year will have a 60-70% performance jump no matter the price point.

Oh man, the thought of a RTX 3070 being as powerful as a Titan RTX..............

Even if you do end up only being able to afford a "3050TI" it should be able to match a RTX 2070 Super or 2080.

Shoulda woulda coulda.  We’ll see what happens when it arrives.  Sure Nvidia could do that but will they?

Perfect, the 3080 Ti is just what I need for my PC

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Strix | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case