Help me water cool a Quadro please!

Hello everyone!

Currently I have a 360 rad (no fan) and a 120 rad (EK vardar fan) water loop cooling just the CPU.

I couldn't find a Corsair Hydro X part that fits my Quadro P2000 so I was looking for an alternative.

I found that EK Thermosphere will work with my Qaudro, but I am concerned about my VRM heats as EK Thermosphere only cools the GPU.

This card does not have 6pin connector. It only uses PCI-E power. So it does not run too hot.

But it comes with this tiny cooler and it's SUUUUPER LOUD.

As you can see on the photos, it's such a tiny blocks of VRM and I am wondering where I can find a heatsink that thin...

p2000 1.jpg

p2000 2.jpg

Edit: I also want to add that I only opened to check the PCB. However, when I changed the thermal paste as I reassembled, it dropped the load temp by around 15-20 C.... LOL
This is probably the worst stock TIM I've ever seen!

i9-10940X @5.40GHz (currently the top OC record):  https://valid.x86.fr/5jiapc

i9-10940X Regular 24/7 @5.1GHz all core: http://valid.x86.fr/bj13uz

I wonder if heatsinks of GTX 1050s will work on it. I dont see why not since the die is the same, the screw holes around each model of die don't change.

Could use big heatsink, just cover up the empty solder bumps with thermal pad to prevent shorting

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

23 minutes ago, ImNotNeko said:

You can buy small stick on heatsinks for the VRM, but as long as your case has good airflow it will be fine, may even be able to mount just the blower fan back onto the GPU somehow even with a universal water block.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

This is the NVidia ref 1060 6GB PCB

Image result for gtx 1060 pcb

this the quadro PCB

Image result for quadro p2000 pcb

PCB is the same with the exception of the Display output, so a 1060 waterblock should work.

Airflow over the VRAM should be fine too

Problem is that I can't find a "good" GPU block for 1060 either. At least I can't find one that covers the VRam under the gpu (right above PCI connector) and the small VRM  on the left.

Are there any suggestions for this?

p2000 1 - Copy.jpg

5 minutes ago, ImNotNeko said:

If the universal GPU only block will fit, you should just go for that as you can always reuse it on future cards as well. The VRM/Memory isn't very high power and doesn't need to a heatsink or much airflow to run fine

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If the universal GPU only block will fit, you should just go for that as you can always reuse it on future cards as well. The VRM/Memory isn't very high power and doesn't need to a heatsink or much airflow to run fine

I've actually heard from multiple sources that videocards with just PCI-E power without additional cable does not need so much VRM cooling.
I guess I'll just buy some small heatsinks that can stick on just for some extra safety and use EK Thermosphere.

Image result for ek thermosphere

this will look pretty awful tho DX
not that Quadro P2000 ever looked good....

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2019 at 1:53 AM, ImNotNeko said:

Hello everyone!

Currently I have a 360 rad (no fan) and a 120 rad (EK vardar fan) water loop cooling just the CPU.

I couldn't find a Corsair Hydro X part that fits my Quadro P2000 so I was looking for an alternative.

I found that EK Thermosphere will work with my Qaudro, but I am concerned about my VRM heats as EK Thermosphere only cools the GPU.

This card does not have 6pin connector. It only uses PCI-E power. So it does not run too hot.

But it comes with this tiny cooler and it's SUUUUPER LOUD.

As you can see on the photos, it's such a tiny blocks of VRM and I am wondering where I can find a heatsink that thin...

p2000 1.jpg

p2000 2.jpg

Edit: I also want to add that I only opened to check the PCB. However, when I changed the thermal paste as I reassembled, it dropped the load temp by around 15-20 C.... LOL
This is probably the worst stock TIM I've ever seen!

Bit old this thread, but some good images and I am looking at doing the same - Watercooling a Quadro p2000 or M4000/5000.

Regarding your stock TIM comment, I have a lot of experience running Pro graphics cards. I had a couple of Fire Pros, then went to Nvidia with a Quadro 4000 then a Quadro K2200. I use Solidworks, and they always seem to run hot. After the first 18 months with my Quadro 4000 it was running 70-80% of the time at 90-92°C! This is where the fan sounds like the computer is about to take off on runway 2. I stripped the card down, and replaced the TIM (with some decent quality stuff) and the thermal pads on the ram. Wow! I was back down to 60-70°C, only going up to 90°C when rendering and using FEA/Simulation. This is still hot, but fine for GPU, the problem is the TIM has a liquid component and this does evaporate over time at these temperatures, reducing the thermal transfer efficiency of the TIM. After about 6-9 months I was back to running 70-80% of the time at 90-92°C. So I started a regime of stripping down my card every 6 months and replacing the TIM. (An issue with Nvidia Quadro cards is I think the stock coolers are pretty poor, the Fire Pros always had much bigger and better stock coolers in my opinion.)

I got a K2200 which was only a little better performance wise but ran a lot cooler due to less power. I still found the TIM dries out after a year or so and needs replacing as the GPU still runs pretty hot most of the time 60-70°C.

To get the temperatures down I am now looking to get a better (newer) card and water cool it. I think you have to get a water block for the equivalent gaming card or a generic GPU block and pack out the RAM with pads/copper shim or put heatsinks on the chips. I have a good deal of experience water cooling, and used to run an AMD Athlon with 2X SLI graphics cards all water cooled, and the Northbridge and ram all with water blocks. It would overclock 150% remain stable and stay cool, I didn't even have active radiators, it all ran of a Zalmann Resorator passive radiator at 50°C max and that was back in the days of >100nm Technology!

I will post something on a new thread with pics once I do it...

On 12/3/2020 at 5:33 AM, Zeego13 said:

Bit old this thread, but some good images and I am looking at doing the same - Watercooling a Quadro p2000 or M4000/5000.

Regarding your stock TIM comment, I have a lot of experience running Pro graphics cards. I had a couple of Fire Pros, then went to Nvidia with a Quadro 4000 then a Quadro K2200. I use Solidworks, and they always seem to run hot. After the first 18 months with my Quadro 4000 it was running 70-80% of the time at 90-92°C! This is where the fan sounds like the computer is about to take off on runway 2. I stripped the card down, and replaced the TIM (with some decent quality stuff) and the thermal pads on the ram. Wow! I was back down to 60-70°C, only going up to 90°C when rendering and using FEA/Simulation. This is still hot, but fine for GPU, the problem is the TIM has a liquid component and this does evaporate over time at these temperatures, reducing the thermal transfer efficiency of the TIM. After about 6-9 months I was back to running 70-80% of the time at 90-92°C. So I started a regime of stripping down my card every 6 months and replacing the TIM. (An issue with Nvidia Quadro cards is I think the stock coolers are pretty poor, the Fire Pros always had much bigger and better stock coolers in my opinion.)

I got a K2200 which was only a little better performance wise but ran a lot cooler due to less power. I still found the TIM dries out after a year or so and needs replacing as the GPU still runs pretty hot most of the time 60-70°C.

To get the temperatures down I am now looking to get a better (newer) card and water cool it. I think you have to get a water block for the equivalent gaming card or a generic GPU block and pack out the RAM with pads/copper shim or put heatsinks on the chips. I have a good deal of experience water cooling, and used to run an AMD Athlon with 2X SLI graphics cards all water cooled, and the Northbridge and ram all with water blocks. It would overclock 150% remain stable and stay cool, I didn't even have active radiators, it all ran of a Zalmann Resorator passive radiator at 50°C max and that was back in the days of >100nm Technology!

I will post something on a new thread with pics once I do it...

Yes, this is quite an old thread.
Incase you and others are wondering about the result; I managed to drop some significant temperature.

I used EK Thermosphere for GPU and Vrams are cooled by some stick on heatsinks.

I believe HWMonitor reported around 90C before and the card used to throttle but I don't see this card going over 65C even during hours of 99% GPU usage.

My set up is slightly different from the time of posting this.

I have corsair ML120 fan on 120mm rad as exhaust and 2x Noctua NF A12 x 15 slim fan on top as exhaust. 360 passive rad at front (quite some airflow because rest of fans are exhaust)

I absolutely recommend people with Quadro to Watercool their GPU.
I get so much more performance out of it.