Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Samsung outdo Linus by dropping a S10+5G from the edge of space into Michigan

samsung-space-selfie-satellite-crash.jpg

About a week ago Samsung had a promotional campaign where users can send selfies to a phone which would then be launched to space from South Dakota and then return back to earth with some great shots of the earth on the 31st of October. However due to weather conditions it received a "soft" landing.

A Michigan woman said that a device launched by Samsung into space last week crash-landed on her rural property in Michigan on Saturday.The "Space Selfie" device, which the company said aimed to capture images “using a unique view of planet earth as the backdrop,” was found by Nancy Mumby-Welke and her husband on Saturday morning after they heard a loud crash outside their home in Gratiot County. As the couple investigated, she told NBC News, “We realized it had fallen from the sky. It looked like a satellite.”

Samsung confirmed in a statement that the device “came back down to earth,” though the company described its descent as an “early soft landing in a selected rural area” that was “planned” because of weather conditions in the United States.“No injuries occurred and the balloon was subsequently retrieved,” Samsung said. “We regret any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mumby-Welke said she didn’t know what the device was. As she and her husband investigated, they noticed two logos on the machine, she said — one that was Samsung’s and another for Raven Industries in South Dakota, where the device was reportedly launched from. Mumby-Welke said an internet search later revealed that the device was part of a promotional campaign with actress and model Cara Delevingne.

A few hours after the crash, Mumby-Welke said, someone from Raven Industries collected the wreckage but offered no details about the device or what had happened.“They didn’t say anything,” Mumby-Welke said. He “told us he wasn’t at liberty to talk about it.” “Just imagine what could have happened if someone had been out there,” she added.

The device reportedly included a high-altitude balloon, spanned half the length of a basketball court and was supposed to remain in space until Oct. 31.

Source:https://www.facebook.com/nancy.mumbywelke/videos/3143827078977356/

https://news.samsung.com/global/cara-delevingne-and-samsung-unveil-the-worlds-first-selfie-sent-into-space-at-star-studded-event-in-london

http://www.samsung.com/spaceselfie

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/space-satellite-crash-lands-in-michigan-home-s-backyard

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/samsung-s-space-selfie-falls-out-sky-lands-michigan-couple-n1072596

Thoughts: Maybe Samsung should have made a S10 Active instead, that would be a phone I would consider and would have suited this campaign far better.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

yo @LinusTech, you gonna just take this, or are you going to one up Samsung?

i wanna see the best drop your hands can do...

i can see the title now: "Dropping a phone with style while one upping Samsung!"

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yJ2cQV

5U The Waifu (my new in-progress server): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1130931-5u-the-waifu-my-new-server/

Is Linus going to drop an S10 from the surface of the sun and have it land in Texas?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Linus should drop it on the moon

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Too bad it didn't land on a large farm with a no trespassing sign.  Idiot would've gotten shot for a stupid PR campaign without payout or sign off to where they may have damaged.

I personally can't survive in Michigan so I don't know how this phone will fare. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

@LinusTech should respond by developing and releasing (dropping) a flagship phone, with a headphone jack.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Samsung are just another government agency shill like Nasa perpetuating the global agenda of hiding the truth from us and the images taken from this phone are nothing but composite fakes.

Some flattard somewhere.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'm sure Redbull would be up for a sponsorship. I believe this was in lower orbit due to the fact it was on a balloon so it shouldn't be too easily to one up. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

LinusWare Dev | NotCPUCores Dev

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 10/28/2019 at 9:06 PM, ARikozuM said:

Is Linus going to drop an S10 from the surface of the sun and have it land in Texas?

And then remotely activate the phone's Wi-Fi 6 via SmartDeply to see how fast the connection is once it's over a city ?

Linus Right now!

tumblr_pm1x2acs971r5zq6ao2_500.gif

Details separate people.

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

??

Yep, that was a deliberate mistake because I have honestly heard flattards say that before.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, that was a deliberate mistake because I have honestly heard flattards say that before.

come to think of it, is their idea of a globe a near-thin discus? ?