Is there a sweet spot in smartphone price range?

N05HIT

Last year when the Pixel 3a launched I was amazed that google kept the camera but at $400 there were much powerful phone on the market. So in the end I was just sad cause there was no sweet spot for phones. The mid range sucks in camera and the high end is too expensive. The Pixel could be the answer if it was bit more powerful (6GB ram & 128GB standard would be nice)

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Single-SIM-Polished-Blue/dp/B077Z1NXFB/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=nokia+sirocco&qid=1572274076&sr=8-3

For 300 dollars you can get this 2017's Nokia flagship... it has a great 1440x2560p IPS Panel, Snapdragon 835, 4gb RAM, 64gb internal but has expansion slot, etc... basically flagship like specs that should make it a very responsive and good device.

And then the cherry at the top of this cake is an AMAZING high end camera with none other but Zeiss lens, like seriously this Nokia 8 put the iPhone 7 Plus to shame on photography quality department.

Might wanna give it a look if Camera is your main desire.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, KhakiHat said:

Ever heard of the Xiaomi Mi 9?

Yes and the camera can't keep up with any flagship over $700...good phone though

I did buy the 3a, and it is my most expensive phone to day. No regrets on buying it though.

If it wasn't for the 3a, I would most likely be looking at the Chinese phones. Huawei was a choice up to the point they're attacked by US government. Xiaomi also make good phones, so would also be high up on my list to consider. Which phone in particular depends on your needs though.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Single-SIM-Polished-Blue/dp/B077Z1NXFB/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=nokia+sirocco&qid=1572274076&sr=8-3

For 300 dollars you can get this 2017's Nokia flagship... it has a great 1440x2560p IPS Panel, Snapdragon 835, 4gb RAM, 64gb internal but has expansion slot, etc... basically flagship like specs that should make it a very responsive and good device.

And then the cherry at the top of this cake is an AMAZING high end camera with none other but Zeiss lens, like seriously this Nokia 8 put the iPhone 7 Plus to shame on photography quality department.

Might wanna give it a look if Camera is your main desire.

I really liked the phone when it came out but it's camera and battery life not good? saw 100 Reviews on that phone same verdict every time

7 minutes ago, porina said:

I did buy the 3a, and it is my most expensive phone to day. No regrets on buying it though.

If it wasn't for the 3a, I would most likely be looking at the Chinese phones. Huawei was a choice up to the point they're attacked by US government. Xiaomi also make good phones, so would also be high up on my list to consider. Which phone in particular depends on your needs though.

I really liked the Pixel 3a but I needed a bigger battery and more storage. I can't really spent more than $400 on a phone right now. so, waiting for the 4a to be a better?

I guess what's fair depends upon your needs, expectations and your region. For example in my region pixel 3a costed $565 for base variant(not 3a XL).

21 minutes ago, NOShit777 said:

Yes and the camera can't keep up with any flagship over $700...good phone though

Sweetspot doesn't mean it is best in absolut performance, but best price to performance. If paying 3-700$ more for a better camera is worth to you, then you need to spend the money or get a dslr.

In my opinion, spending more than $300 is not very noticeable in real life and the drop off in terms of price to performance is significant

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, YoFavRussian said:

I bought the OnePlus6T used for pretty cheap, $350. It's been a really good phone so far.

That was actually a great phone when it came out...but this year OnePlus 7 pro's camera can't keep up with Pixel or iphone. I hope next year they will give camera more attention.

7 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Sweetspot doesn't mean it is best in absolut performance, but best price to performance. If paying 3-700$ more for a better camera is worth to you, then you need to spend the money or get a dslr.

In my opinion, spending more than $300 is not very noticeable in real life and the drop off in terms of price to performance is significant

Sweet spot doesn't mean price to performance it means a phone that has everything you want in a affordable price....I don't want 12GB ram or wireless charging ...but I want good camera , battery and affordable price

Just now, NOShit777 said:

That was actually a great phone when it came out...but this year OnePlus 7 pro's camera can't keep up with Pixel or iphone. I hope next year they will give camera more attention.

Mid-range phones always skim on the camera, if you're looking for a phone with a great camera, you're stuck getting the flagships, because next year is going to be the same thing ; mid-range phones will have ok cameras, and the flagships are still going to have great ones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

18 minutes ago, NOShit777 said:

I really liked the Pixel 3a but I needed a bigger battery and more storage. I can't really spent more than $400 on a phone right now. so, waiting for the 4a to be a better?

Again it depends on your uses. I'm using 36.47GB of 64GB on my 3a right now. That's with a couple huge games installed, as well as some music and photos. 

On the camera part, it doesn't need to be best, but good enough. My previous phone was the Xiaomi Mi A1. It was fine apart from the camera. It wasn't great in good light, and doesn't get better with less. The 3a in comparison, does cross into good enough category. Is it better or worse than my work iPhone 8 Plus, or previous Samsung S6? Doesn't matter. These are all good enough. The Mi A1 wasn't. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, NOShit777 said:

I agree, but this phone replaced my original OnePlus One anyhow, I hang on to my phones for a long time. Especially if they're flagship because that just means they'll last that much longer.

Honestly, if you're buying a phone for the camera but only for photography. Why not buy a really decent camera? 

2 hours ago, YoFavRussian said:

Honestly, if you're buying a phone for the camera but only for photography. Why not buy a really decent camera? 

Because you can't always lug a dedicated camera with you "just in case."  I know my Sony mirrorless takes better shots than my iPhone on the whole, but I'm not going to carry it with me on a get-together.

5 hours ago, NOShit777 said:

And the 6T couldn't keep up with the Pixel 2/3, or iPhone Xs, regarding Camera. It was like always a step behind.

Often, with GCam it came closer, but still didn't reach them.

This year's 48 MP Camera, more polished Software is closer to the Pixel than ever before.

Some reviewers made Camera comparisons, and it was pure Random, which phone had the best shot in a certain scene. one time, Pixel was the best.

The other Shot, Huawei was best. Next was Samsung, even Oneplus 7 (Pro) did beat EVERY other competitor.

It's kinda... Random. Depends on the scene, which is best, and you can't say anymore, that a Pixel/iPhone is ALWAYS better than Oneplus. Maybe more often, but not every single Time.

The OnePlus 7 is currently available around $400 in some places, which I think is a much better value than the Pixel 3a.

Edited by NOShit777

On 10/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, Commodus said:

Because you can't always lug a dedicated camera with you "just in case."  I know my Sony mirrorless takes better shots than my iPhone on the whole, but I'm not going to carry it with me on a get-together.

I can see that side of it, but I'm more likely to take my camera with me if I'm going somewhere that I will probably be taking pictures, but I get what your saying about not lugging it around, or take into account batteries for the camera as well.