Burn my hand on HD 7970

My GPU got hot as hell on a XP rig I built just to screw around. I burned the Middle finger on the back of my hand just touching the plastic shroud where it says Radion. Is that normal. Card isn't overclocked and I was just playing a Pop Cap game that should not require any GPU to run.  Also cover was not on side of case. Not even touchable. Reference card, blower style. Also PSU was warm. Can there be a short in card. I will try Hardware Monitor to see temp of card. Doesn't seem right.

14 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Well what was the heat of the card?

assuming it was hot enough to give 1st degree burns,so thats 118 degrees f,and thats just on the plastic where its going to be least hot

I've had a card run at 99-100C and throttle a bit, it's not good but not unexpected either depending on the cooler style.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

8 minutes ago, Lowbuget said:

yeah way to hot imo since that had to be at 111 degrees f at least

111 Fahrenheit is not much for a GPU, doesn't really say much about the actual GPU temp

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

29 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

I burned the Middle finger on the back of my hand just touching the plastic shroud where it says Radion. Is that normal.

you would feel burn even at 70~80C, and 7970 is famous of being a hot card

If its the 7970 with the the reference cooler, its going to be hot asf. Check the temps with a hwmonitor or something

HWMonitor is a plan. Being in a Dell Dimension case doesn't help ether. Still building it.

I'm skeptical you burned your hand, GPU's will thermal throttle before that's possible. It can be extremely hot to the touch but if you're only touching it for like 0.5s you won't get burned. It's just not possible if you don't have some niche skin condition or something.

Anyways, check the temp in GPU-Z. It is possible it's overheating but you won't know until you check. Do you have a custom fan profile set or is the fan speed set to auto? Do you have sufficient air flow?

I hit 80c playing Bookworm Adventure, Has some animations that are rendered. That 175f. Hot near center of card. Blower fan was at 1001 RPM. No Cover on side. Ya, I am pretty certain that having the cover off should be OK, open air. AMD overdrive is disabled. Running Catalyst version 13.9. Only one of old drivers I could get to work. Hot inbetween the GPU core and the Crossfire fingers. Might be were VRMs are. Fan is not spinning up. It can spin 4779 RPM. I tried it in CCC, it does respond. Right now on the desktop it is at 985 at 985 RPM. I will loop an old game called Space Hast, 3d space track rendering, near most that machine will ever run, remember XP. I know Nvidia 750 or 750 ti are a better choice but not available. I will run emulators like Project 64 and Dolphin in 32 bit versions. Seems like thats how that GPU is with heat. Nvidia is far better of a choice. They don't heat up like that. It is running a bit toasty, I don't know about critical until I put a real load on it.

31 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

Ya it hit 93c with the cover on. Too Hot. 93c is 199f

Well, for a 5700 XT, that's pretty normal for a mild overclock, even with an AIB cooler... The 7970 is supposed to run hotter though.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Still that's hot AF. Getting near car exhaust temp. I guess that putting it in a Dell Dimension 2400 case won't help with temps. The hard drive caddy is in front of the rear of the card. Plus it's a XP build so it has a floppy drive which is stupid by itself. Yes that is enabled. Though I did rout it under the card not blocking air flow.

4 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

Still that's hot AF.

How? It's a 250W card using a blower cooler that's not really spinning up as it should under load. better coollers, proper functioning of the existing cooler, or lower usage will lower temps, but GPUs in that TDP range will get that hot with mediocre cooling.

3 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

I know Nvidia 750 or 750 ti are a better choice but not available.

For power usage or heat output, they probably are. Other than that, those are much slower cards than the 7970.

5 hours ago, fringie said:

I'm skeptical you burned your hand, GPU's will thermal throttle before that's possible.

Unless it's a Tesla - at least some models will reach ~140C and still rely in some Delta fans ramping up in your server sooner or later :P

21 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

Still that's hot AF.

Not for most processing components.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Pointed 80mm fan right at it, still gets hot underload. Fan curve on card sucks. ether at 1000 RPM or at 4250 RPM. It's either high or low. Where is the variation in the cards fan. Almost ready to strap 2 NF-12s on to it. That's also why I prefer Nvidia.

3 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

That's also why I prefer Nvidia.

Because you're afraid of components operating within their thermal specifications?

I hate that the fan revs stupidly high under load. It's loud and distracting. It vibrates the desk. Not at all normal. A 80mm fan from the front of the case helped, but did not cure it under load. I can run emulators without it bitching about it, but when I run a game such as Far Cry it hit a 100c and runs away. A blower fan running at 4250 RPM is load, and what are chances of blower fan exploding at those RPM when it is vibrating the desk. I can see 2,800 to 3,000 RPM being max, but not 4,250.

10 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

I hate that the fan revs stupidly high under load. It's loud and distracting. It vibrates the desk. Not at all normal. A 80mm fan from the front of the case helped, but did not cure it under load. I can run emulators without it bitching about it, but when I run a game such as Far Cry it hit a 100c and runs away. A blower fan running at 4250 RPM is load, and what are chances of blower fan exploding at those RPM when it is vibrating the desk. I can see 2,800 to 3,000 RPM being max, but not 4,250.

That's actually really typical of blower coolers. They are noisy by default. As for the vibrations, that just means it's slightly out of balance probably. It won't "blow up", and it is anchored so as to not fail, despite the slight unbalance.

10 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

What does solder melt at? Remember ball chip.

Usually, about 180-190°c. Significantly higher than a temp that would render the GPU chips unable to ever function again.