What chipset supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box without bios updates?

Okjoek

Question is in the title, I just don't want to avoid needing to update bios if possible building a new system with Ryzen 3000. Will all X470 do or would I even have to go X570 to be sure?

Only x570 chipset is guaranteed to support Ryzen 3xxx processors.

MSI boards with MAX at the end should support Ryzen 3xxx processors, the MAX means bigger BIOS chip and these models were launched after Ryzen 3xxx so they support the Ryzen 3 from start.

There's motherboards with BIOS Flashback - these allow you to update bios without processor installed in socket.

You plug usb stick inside a specific usb slot and push a button and 30s - 1 m later the bios is updated.

This document lists which motherboards have BIOS flashback (checkmark all the way on the right): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

It's not the chipset but the preloaded BIOS that need to be supporting your CPU. On the support page of your motherboard's vendor website you can find the list of supported CPUs and form which version; often it also lists the lowest BIOS version so you know that no matter what version you get in the box it will work.

Of course, getting a chipset that can never support a CPU will be a bad idea, no software can fix that (i.e. trying to get a Ryzen CPU to work on an nForce chipset from 2006).

But if a chipset can support a CPU, the only barrier between it working and not working is the firmware. And the only guarantee that it will always work is making sure your CPU is on the list of 'doesn't require a firmware update'.

MSI B450 MAX series boards are ryzen3000 ready, just as Asrock B450 Pro4-F series, and, to my knowledge, Steel Legend B450 boards also come with ryzen-3000 ready bios nowadays out of their box. :) 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

2 hours ago, OnePlane said:

2 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

So would any of you give me a recommendation on any specific models for an AM4 Micro ATX motherboard to use with an R5 3600 paired with a single GPU? under 150 dollars?

5 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

So would any of you give me a recommendation on any specific models for an AM4 Micro ATX motherboard to use with an R5 3600 paired with a single GPU? under 150 dollars?

The ASRock B450M Steel Legend (around 100+ USD) and MSI B450M Mortar Max (around 100+ USD) should be fine. Though I'd go with MSI since they have better VRMs than Asrock.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

All msi b450 with the word MAX at the back..all x570...on any other boards you can just ask the retailer if the bios is updated for ryzen 3000s...if not ask them to do it for you...usually they'll update for you...and usually boards retailing now are updated..the b450 gaming pro carbon ac I've bought didn't need any bios update...

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

7 hours ago, Okjoek said:

MSI B450M Mortar MAX.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

7 hours ago, Xiee said:

The ASRock B450M Steel Legend (around 100+ USD) and MSI B450M Mortar Max (around 100+ USD) should be fine. Though I'd go with MSI since they have better VRMs than Asrock.

I would say the Asrock B450 Steel is a solid board, I got mine new from the shop and already had support for the latest CPUs ;)

I'd suggest making a selection of features you want and then checking the list of boards against the HCL on the vendor website.