Netflix Certifies Panasonic S1H for Productions

ThePointblank

From DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3780680406/netflix-approves-panasonic-s1h-production-making-it-smallest-only-stills-video-camera

Panasonic’s full-frame S1H full-frame mirrorless camera has been certified as a Netflix primary camera and is now part of the Netflix Post Technology Alliance. This recognition means productions are now able to use the relatively affordable S1H as a main camera, so long as the footage is captured within a range of formats and settings.

As laid out in Netflix’s camera production guide, the S1H needs to be shot in at least 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels or 4096 x 2160 pixels) in V-Log with 4:2:2 10-bit All-I (400Mbps) encoding and pixel-for-pixel readout in either full-frame or Super 35 modes.

As noted by Netflix, there are a number of camera settings you need to select in order to comply with Netflix's requirements, which are listed in the camera production guide:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v-hsWqDoacoH1TaKslBTZobYu9uhVov4/view

This means that if you are intending on shooting a production for Netflix, the cheapest and smallest option for a camera that's certified for Netflix is now the Panasonic S1H for a relatively affordable price of $4000 USD for the body only, compared to the other options that Netflix permits, which are listed here:

https://help.prodicle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001787532-Cameras-and-Image-Capture

Per Panasonic, they are not currently aware of any Netflix Original productions using the S1H for productions at this time, but this would be an appealing choice for budget Netflix productions in the future.

Thats crazy, professional grade cinematography has gotten so cheap these days.

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

4 minutes ago, CiBi said:

Thats crazy, professional grade cinematography has gotten so cheap these days.

Or Netflix is on a race to the bottom as Steam has been. ;)

36 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Or Netflix is on a race to the bottom as Steam has been. ;)

I've seen decently color graded footage shot in V-log on even cheaper Panasonics that looks like a scene from freaking Lord of the Rings.

I'm confident the right people can use a S1H in combination with much more expensive gear and we'd never see it stand out.

Unrelated to this camera getting certified I've also worried about the quality of some of Netflix's inhouse productions.

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White