Is it safe to test PC parts without a proper test bench before installing them?

lastsznn

Hey all,

I'm building a sick Power Hack G5 and long story short the Power Mac G5 case I'm using is not ready for PC parts to be installed inside of it quite yet, however I do have all of the other parts needed for the PC build available. I'm just sitting around and waiting very patiently for my G5 case to be ready, and I was wondering if I could test drive my PC parts I'm using for this build while I wait. I do not have a proper test bench... is there any way I can test drive these parts without one?

Thanks in advance.

yes put the motherboard in top of the cardboard box the motherboard came in

there is lots of videos on youtube of youtubers doing just that

the idea is put the motherboard over a surface that is non electrically conductive and plug everything on it, including psu and gpu

the problem often is the gpu, if your gpu is big and heavy is a pita to use it outside a case, so if you can' don't install it just the motherboard if it has a onboard gpu, if is a intel cpu probably has a hd630 or something like that, so you can test almost all parts

to be honest, i never test parts, i just do a visual inspection then i assemble, i only use the cardboard if something failed

the preassembly outside is only useful if you are going to watercool the pc, and want to avoid bad surprises like DOA motherboard or something like that

3 hours ago, goto10 said:

the preassembly outside is only useful if you are going to watercool the pc, and want to avoid bad surprises like DOA motherboard or something like that

It's never fun to completely build and cable manage a new PC, only to then find out that your motherboard is DoA and needs to be removed again.  So always test first.

For example :

1525844983_2016-02-19-ValentinefirstBSOD.jpg.2ddb194f9aeb7b42aefd4c95462e74bf.jpg

This was the first pre-build test of my current main rig.  Turned out to be a hardware problem with the USB3 controller.  I'm glad I caught that before building the entire thing. 

5 hours ago, lastsznn said:

Hey all,

I'm building a sick Power Hack G5 and long story short the Power Mac G5 case I'm using is not ready for PC parts to be installed inside of it quite yet, however I do have all of the other parts needed for the PC build available. I'm just sitting around and waiting very patiently for my G5 case to be ready, and I was wondering if I could test drive my PC parts I'm using for this build while I wait. I do not have a proper test bench... is there any way I can test drive these parts without one?

Thanks in advance.

"Use the box" tends to be the correct advice, since it will already be larger than the motherboard, keeping in mind:

Just make sure you don't bend/kink any cables in a direction where there is resistance to reach it.

Thank you all. Using the box seemed to be the correct way to test without a proper test bench, but I didn't want to use the box and have something crap out in the process.

8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

It's never fun to completely build and cable manage a new PC, only to then find out that your motherboard is DoA and needs to be removed again.  So always test first.

For example :

1525844983_2016-02-19-ValentinefirstBSOD.jpg.2ddb194f9aeb7b42aefd4c95462e74bf.jpg

This was the first pre-build test of my current main rig.  Turned out to be a hardware problem with the USB3 controller.  I'm glad I caught that before building the entire thing. 

your definiton of do and mine are very different, such bsod can be caused by ram or cpu, but the parts are failing, a doa is dead on arrival, you connect, turn on and the part is dead, doesn't work at all, no electricity, nothing

for the seller or the company it is handled differently, a failing part and a doa part are handled very different sometimes

i just build the dam pc, it will work, if i buy good parts, it will work, only these things happen to me with refurbihed or cheapo parts from unknown brands

anyway, the box is there for you

2 hours ago, lastsznn said:

Thank you all. Using the box seemed to be the correct way to test without a proper test bench, but I didn't want to use the box and have something crap out in the process.

this comment tells me that you are new on the system build world, if you are scared of the box, everything will scare yu, the only thing that takes the fear away is practice, practice and more practice

so, guess what i will recomend you here

A test bench isn't necessary unless you're planning on running your system open air 24/7 or you're testing/swamping parts constantly. If you're uncomfortable with the idea of running a system on a cardboard box you could always use a large mouse pad or a mod mat. 

11 hours ago, lastsznn said:

no reason to worry. cardboard isn't conductive, so it wont harm your motherboard