Passive Cooling for Ryzen 3600

Hey LTT gang,

Working on a new rig for gaming and need some advice.

Planning on running a Ryzen 3600.

I'd like this thing to be as quiet as possible. 

So going for a quiet case and as few fans as possible.

One option I'm considering is passively cooling the CPU.

Looking at running one of these without a fan:

DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm ASSASSIN II-CPU

DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2-CPU

The idea being that the large 140mm front two case fans and one rear case fan would be sufficient to pass enough air across the heatsink to cool the processor.

Leaning toward either Noctua or be quiet! fans.

1. Can I passively cool the Ryzen 3600?
  2. Even if I can cool it passively, are there good reasons not to?
  3. What sort of case is going to give me the best airflow across the heatsink?  Been looking at some of the cases that let you invert the mobo as maybe giving better air flow across the processor (e.g., a couple of the be quiet! cases).  But have seen a few tests where the performance really wasn't much better than regular mobo placement.
  4. What are some good alternatives to passive cooling that are also super quiet?

Thanks for your help.  ?

Passive?  No way.

I'd run a Dark Rock Pro 4 with only the 135mm fan.  Should be quiet enough and still give you the airflow you need.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Passive cooling on a 3600 doesn't sound like a good idea...

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

i guess you can get a noctua nh-d15 and try running it without the fans. and if it doesnt work you can put the fans back on and they would probably run at low rpm and barely make any sound even at full load

Can be done but you need appropriate cooler.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

A good way to achieve near silent, is to run many fans at very low speed, like 300-400 rpm. You will need ears of a bat to hear the noise.

2 hours ago, Claptrap said:

Hey LTT gang,

Working on a new rig for gaming and need some advice.

Planning on running a Ryzen 3600.

I'd like this thing to be as quiet as possible. 

So going for a quiet case and as few fans as possible.

One option I'm considering is passively cooling the CPU.

Looking at running one of these without a fan:

DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm ASSASSIN II-CPU

DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2-CPU

The idea being that the large 140mm front two case fans and one rear case fan would be sufficient to pass enough air across the heatsink to cool the processor.

Leaning toward either Noctua or be quiet! fans.

1. Can I passively cool the Ryzen 3600?
  2. Even if I can cool it passively, are there good reasons not to?
  3. What sort of case is going to give me the best airflow across the heatsink?  Been looking at some of the cases that let you invert the mobo as maybe giving better air flow across the processor (e.g., a couple of the be quiet! cases).  But have seen a few tests where the performance really wasn't much better than regular mobo placement.
  4. What are some good alternatives to passive cooling that are also super quiet?

Thanks for your help.  ?

No need to run passive when fans like the NF-A12X25 are silent at 1000rpm or lower.

Just get a NH-D15S (single fan version) and 2 of Nocuta NF-A12x25's to replace case fans .. tune the fans to run silent. Job done.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I heard that Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT is a semi-passive CPU air cooler, you just need to take off the fan and you got a passive massive cooler heatsink just like that.

Here, I quoted the conclusion from Techpowerup's review of this cooler

The ability to be used passively is nice, but I doubt anyone will considering how quiet it is.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-le-grand-macho/9.html

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Princess Luna WOW that is a crazy heatsink.  Will absolutely research it.  Seems like the RGB / just for looks stuff in mobos these days could cause some issues, but I really like the concept.

@LinusTech needs to test and torture one of those in a vid.  Maybe even get one of the larger NoFen versions lol.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, SolarNova said:

tune the fans to run silent. Job done

I'm leaning toward this being the best option.  Not ruling out passive cooling just yet (because reasons, because fun), but the more I look at fan tuning the more I think heatsink + fan will be the best route for cooling, longevity of parts, and noise.