Streaming Service Mixer Acquires Michael “Shroud” Grzesiek, Joins Ninja in Exclusivity Deal

jiyeon

Source: The Verge

Michael Grzesiek, known as Shroud, has joined Mixer in an exclusive deal, leaving Twitch in favor of the new streaming service.

Shroud will be joining fellow former Twitch megastar Ninja in the Mixer exclusivity deal.

Michael “Shroud” Grzesiek is the latest Twitch megastar to abandon the Amazon-owned streaming service in favor of Microsoft’s Mixer platform.

Grzesiek, a former professional Counter-Strike: Global Offensive player, made his announcement on Twitter today. His first stream is today at 8pm ET. He jokes in the announcement video that he’s “making moves,” following in the same footsteps as another popular streamer, Ninja.

Tyler “Ninja” Blevins left his home on Twitch in August to stream exclusively on Mixer earlier this year, and shook the streaming industry to its core. Both Grzesiek and Blevins are two of the gaming world’s most watched streamers, and both came up through Twitch after retiring from professional play. (Ninja was a former Halo pro before transitioning to battle royale games.) Blevins commented on Grzesiek’s move on Twitter, calling it a “massive move for the platform and the streaming industry.”

In the Verge article in source, the Verge has reported that the reasoning behind Ninja's original move was due to Ninja and Twitch's disconnect and the inability for Twitch to grow his 'Ninja' brand. Thus, he moved to Mixer to expand upon his growth, citing that money was the last thing on his mind.

Whether it’s due to financial deals — reports suggested that Blevins signed an impressive contract with Microsoft to stream exclusively on Mixer — or growing concern over burnout and lingering issues on Twitch, streamers are looking elsewhere.

Ninja’s manager and wife, Jessica Blevins, told Business Insider earlier this year that he decided to leave Twitch because of the company’s inability to work with them on building out the “Ninja” brand.

“Money was the last thing on our mind,” she said. “It’s like, they don’t even know what went on behind the scenes and how hard we tried to make that deal work — and then how amazing Microsoft was for us.”

Shroud joining Ninja over on Mixer is a clear sign that Twitch is beginning to lose their touch. I can't see any other reason behind Shroud with his huge Twitch fanbase moving over to Mixer beside what Ninja quoted regarding his own move from Twitch.

Makes me wonder if anybody is next to join Shroud and Ninja over on Mixer, and for what reasons. Also since Shroud is supposed to be featuring in a high refresh rate monitor video sometime later this year (or next?) on Linus Tech Tips, that he'll talk about it, or link to his Mixer instead of Twitch.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

honestly, i think there's money involved

and i think this'll have the same effect as the introduction of streaming services: it kills it because you have too many options, not too little

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

honestly, i think there's money involved

No shit, sherlock.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

21 minutes ago, sowon said:

I can't see any other reason behind Shroud with his huge Twitch fanbase moving over to Mixer beside what Ninja quoted regarding his own move from Twitch.

You know those big burlap sacks with the giant dollar sign on the side? 

I bet they were involved. 

it's like the whole steam/EGS thing all over again

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

it's like the whole steam/EGS thing all over again

minus the feature set, or is Mixer missing a whole lot of features

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

minus the feature set, or is Mixer missing a whole lot of features

I think Mixer have similar feature or slightly better. Excluding 3rd party BTTV/FFZ integration.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

3rd party BTTV/FFZ integration

explain?

✨FNIGE✨

On 10/25/2019 at 11:20 AM, SlimyPython said:

explain?

BetterTwitchTV (BTTV) and FrankerFaceZ (FFZ) is 3rd party site that host 3rd party emotes integration for TwitchTV which you can enable through their browser extension. You can have animated emotes(gif) with BTTV/FFZ which Twitch doesn't offer and also extra emotes for your channel.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

frankly i don't like mixer (cause MS) but there is a need for a competitor or an alternative to twitch specially now that twitch seems, from my point of view in that past two years, so hellbent in becoming a soft-core version of chaturbate.

Would be nice to regain one place that is only gaming focused

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

And just like that, the number of good streamers on Mixer has doubled.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out over time. It's not like it usually with a smaller innovative company taking share from the mega corp or the big company bullying out the little one. 

Microsoft has a stupid amount of money to play with, as does Amazon.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

8 hours ago, sowon said:

exclusive deal

So basically they bribed them, i have to wonder why the authorities turn a blind eye over this.....

Sweet, that's one less notification in my inbox when Shroud goes live. Don't get me wrong - I actually enjoy Mike's antics, but I'm not about to sign up for yet another streaming service just to watch people. I already have an overload of services I'm signed up for; I don't need another one.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just checked Mixer and both games I play, Guild Wars 2 and Dawn of War 2, have absolutely zero viewers. It's bad for old games.

23 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

Guild Wars 2

I just followed an old dude playing GW2 on Mixer. ?

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

frankly i don't like mixer (cause MS) but there is a need for a competitor or an alternative to twitch specially now that twitch seems, from my point of view in that past two years, so hellbent in becoming a soft-core version of chaturbate.

Would be nice to regain one place that is only gaming focused

Has Twitch ever been something else than a soft-core chaturbate? Like I remember the time you fell asleep for few minutes or drank the hardests drug ever and got intoxiated by coffee and got banned while it was completely ok to just roll some video, seem like playing and show a little ta-tas ("accidentaly" when wearing just "normal cozy" clothes) and collect the money away.

Obviously in their position you would take a large enough pay check to move over. But Ninjas manager and wife is clearly not being honest about their motive when she says "he decided to leave Twitch because of the company’s inability to work with them on building out the “Ninja” brand.".

Moving to Mixer is only bad for their brand because at the end of the day what will maintain the brand is high viewership and moving to mixer is a sure way to lower ones viewership. 

Although Shroud was my favorite Twitch streamer I don't expect I will be watching him as much now he has moved as I do enjoy Stream hopping and all my favorite streamers are on twitch.

Perhaps this gamble will pay off for Mixer and they will be a legitimate competitor to twitch, although if I had to put money on it I doubt it and all they would've achieved is slightly damaging Twitch for both Twitch and the audience

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

So basically they bribed them, i have to wonder why the authorities turn a blind eye over this.....

How is this bribery in any form?  What would "the authorities" look into, exactly?

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

54 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

How is this bribery in any form?

Do you think they switched just because MS asked them to do so? 9_9

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

By that logic anyone who takes any sponsorship is being bribed into talking about a certain product, or you're being bribed into working for a company because they asked you to work there!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

anyone who takes any sponsorship

Depends on how it is handled. If its the kind where you cant say anything negtive about it then yes. It is bribing.

2 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

because they asked you to work there

Pretty dumb analogy, cant be compared  in any way.

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Its not like they are judges or police or something. Bribing regular people to do stuff, also called paying them, is legal otherwise all businesses will close.

14 hours ago, sowon said:

he moved to Mixer to expand upon his growth, citing that money was the last thing on his mind.

I'm sorry, what's the difference between wanting "more growth" and "more money" in this case?

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Depends on how it is handled. If its the kind where you cant say anything negtive about it then yes. It is bribing.

Bribery is specifically referred to paying people in a position of institutional power in exchange for preferential treatment. That's not what this is. At worst this is an undisclosed advertisement deal, which isn't great but is better than bribery.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

I'm not really sure how you came to believe this is "bribery".  They're being employed by Microsoft.  Just like the surge of streamers that moved to Facebook over the past year or so: they're under contract with Facebook to stream on their service in return for pay.  There's no "depends on how it's handled" at all.  It's simple contract employment, full of the usual taxation requirements, etc.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |