[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

@viceice It's not a good PSU, smth went wrong, maybe voltage regulation went out of spec enough for GPU to trigger some safe mode or smth, no idea if that's a thing. But FPS drop and burnt smell don't sound like coincidence. I'd recommend to replace the PSU definitely.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Hey, it's me again. Quick question, what exactly is "transient" and why is it important? 

Also, I somehow installed my Seasonic Prime Ultra power supply without any insulation pads and nothing seemed to short or anything? Should I get some insulation pads just in case? Also, are they just called insulation pads or are they called something else?

4 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

Hey, it's me again. Quick question, what exactly is "transient" and why is it important?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_response

4 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

Also, I somehow installed my Seasonic Prime Ultra power supply without any insulation pads and nothing seemed to short or anything? Should I get some insulation pads just in case? Also, are they just called insulation pads or are they called something else?

You've watched too much The Verge. Noise dampening pads on some cases that support the PSU there for dampening noise, not electrical insulation, your PSU is screwed down to the case anyway, and it needs to be grounded, not insulalated from it (or rather the other way around).

12 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

You dont need them. lol

8 hours ago, Juular said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_response

You've watched too much The Verge. Noise dampening pads on some cases that support the PSU there for dampening noise, not electrical insulation, your PSU is screwed down to the case anyway, and it needs to be grounded, not insulalated from it (or rather the other way around).

I see. Apologies, there were people being serious about insulation pads on a PSU guide video and I thought I somehow messed up. Thank you for the reply, friend!

On 4/13/2020 at 2:17 PM, Juular said:

Yeah, it good, probably somewhat less good than SPC S FM2 but if it's significantly cheaper - why not, nothing wrong with it per se.

Hey, so I got the SPC psu and now I have a problem. I was running it with my usual undervolt/oc but i noticed it would shut off my whole pc in some instances... So I did some tests like OCCT and when I try to run the power test it crashes straight away. My UV contains also +50% power limit and when I set it back to 0% It's not crashing anymore.

2 minutes ago, Ktuky said:

Hey, so I got the SPC psu and now I have a problem. I was running it with my usual undervolt/oc but i noticed it would shut off my whole pc in some instances... So I did some tests like OCCT and when I try to run the power test it crashes straight away. My UV contains also +50% power limit and when I set it back to 0% It's not crashing anymore.

SPC Supremo FM2 ? Which wattage ?

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

SPC Supremo FM2 ? Which wattage ?

650w is 50% power limit really an overkill for this unit? Thing is that I passed Furmark test in which the gpu was drawing like 300w, but in games and occt test i cannot run it with 50% power limit and its pulling much less.

8 minutes ago, Ktuky said:

650w is 50% power limit really an overkill for this unit?

I mean, Vega is a very power hungry GPU but it shouldn't trip. The reason why you can't trip it in Furmark is that it's probably limits power draw intentionally seeing very heavy loads, but in games due to how Vega's power management works it can draw very high transient spikes trying to boost when it sees that it still can do that due to relatively low load which trips PSU over-current protection ...

Well, sorry i guess, that's the first time i hear about this platform tripping with Vega. Can you return it ?

1 minute ago, Juular said:

I mean, Vega is a very power hungry GPU but it shouldn't trip. The reason why you can't trip it in Furmark is that it's probably limits power draw intentionally seeing very heavy loads, but in games due to how Vega's power management works it can draw very high transient spikes trying to boost when it sees that it still can do that due to relatively low load which trips PSU over-current protection ...

Well, sorry i guess, that's the first time i hear about this platform tripping with Vega. Can you return it ?

Well, I could return it. When the power limit is not touched everything seems to be fine, it's capped at 240w and never goes beyond really. Now I tried +25% and it crashed again and was pulling around 290w.

11 minutes ago, Ktuky said:

Well, I could return it. When the power limit is not touched everything seems to be fine, it's capped at 240w and never goes beyond really. Now I tried +25% and it crashed again and was pulling around 290w.

Well i don't know if by capping power limit you're losing much performance (i suspect that's not the case) but yeah, that's an option too.

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well i don't know if by capping power limit you're losing much performance (i suspect that's not the case) but yeah, that's an option too.

Not much but I'm kinda afraid that It's a bad unit, I hope it's not. It shouldn't be problem with cables right? That I should try different ones that came with the psu or different connectors. I guess its unlikely that it would be the problem.

6 minutes ago, Ktuky said:

Not much but I'm kinda afraid that It's a bad unit, I hope it's not.

It's not bad, it's just Vega is very notorious for these kinds of issues, this exact scenario happens with other PSUs including older revision Seasonic Focus and G based units as well as Bitfenix Formula Gold \ Whisper sub 650W units. This doesn't mean that these PSUs are bad, it's just that Vega isn't designed properly or rather since in this case you're modifying factory settings it's kinda not AMD fault but yeah, most other 650W units would work just fine with it. If you're worried you can return it, feel free to ask for advice if you'll decide to find smth else.

25 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's not bad, it's just Vega is very notorious for these kinds of issues, this exact scenario happens with other PSUs including older revision Seasonic Focus and G based units as well as Bitfenix Formula Gold \ Whisper sub 650W units. This doesn't mean that these PSUs are bad, it's just that Vega isn't designed properly or rather since in this case you're modifying factory settings it's kinda not AMD fault but yeah, most other 650W units would work just fine with it. If you're worried you can return it, feel free to ask for advice if you'll decide to find smth else.

Thanks for the help, I don't really know if the 10% performance gain is worth the hassle. If it won't crash at stock power limit i think it's fine. The thing also is I don't know if I have any other viable options at the price of that SPC unit.

I cant recall, who makes PSUs for BeQuiet brand or do they manufacture their own?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

I cant recall, who makes PSUs for BeQuiet brand or do they manufacture their own?

FSP on high-end ones, HEC on low-end ones, some Seasonic in the past.

Just now, Juular said:

FSP on high-end ones, HEC on low-end ones, some Seasonic in the past.

Ok, I thought Seasonic made some. This is good to know. Though thing change I used to be a Antec guy back in the 90's when they were top dog then I moved on to Seasonic and Evga down the line. Im mostly a Seasonic guy these days though. lol.

I have considered doing an All BeQuiet build in the past, might still but this helps with the decision. Thanks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What's the exactly importance behind having multiple rails? Also, why does voltage matter when it comes to rails? By voltage, I mean 5V and 12V.

Also, of the PSU industry, are the head honchos Seasonic and FSP? I'm asking because it always seems power supplies of other brands use components manufactured by them.

45 minutes ago, LebowskiBuschemi said:

What's the exactly importance behind having multiple rails?

That becomes important with high-wattage PSUs because if say 1000W PSU has single rail it can power twice as much into would be short and over-current \ short circuit protection might not engage before a piece of equipment that made that short catches fire. Like, chance of doing that are higher but it's not linear and there were no research so to say on the importance of multi-rail, so treat is just as optional protection, if you're going to buy high-wattage PSU and you can afford multi-rail one (like if it's not significantly more expensive or you don't care about money, just want the best one) then go for it, otherwise single-rail are still fine.

45 minutes ago, LebowskiBuschemi said:

Also, of the PSU industry, are the head honchos Seasonic and FSP? I'm asking because it always seems power supplies of other brands use components manufactured by them.

There are a lot of OEMs, not just Seasonic, FSP and Super Flower people are usually talking about. And many of them have good quality and performance platforms comparable if not surpassing ones from say Seasonic. For example:

- Flextronics - Corsair AXi, practically the best PSU to date, very expensive though

- Delta - mostly server market player but they have a few consumer stuff, like some new Cooler Master V Platinum, new Antec HCP Platinum and Antec VP-F units (which are better than other VP units)

- CWT / Channel Well Technologies - most high-end Corsair and Thermaltake units and a lot of good mid-tier units from other brands

- High Power / Sirfa - mostly various mid-end stuff but they have some high-end ones like Fractal Design ION+ too

- HEC / Cougar - mostly low\mid-end stuff too like EVGA and be quiet! ones but they have high-end Cougar GX-F platform

- Enhance - mostly Cooler Master units, they have some lemons but good for the most part

- Andyson - they have fame of bad OEM for very cheap units they make by demand, but they have some very high-end designs too, like the one in Aerocool P7 and EVGA uses them for mid-end lineups which are decent.

And these are just the most well-known ones, there are quite a few smaller OEMs with good mid\high-end designs too.

39 minutes ago, viceice said:

https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=214

Is this an okay psu? any info on this, what tier would it be on? it seems liek a quality unit but couldnt find much info on it

It's Andyson's Seasonic Focus clone, reviews are limited but it looks good if treated as budget PSU with appropriate price.

https://proclockers.com/review/xigmatek-hera-gold-850w-power-supply-review/5/

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/netzteile/50583-abkoncore-tenergy-gold-modular-850w-im-test-neues-80-plus-gold-netzteil-aus-korea.html?start=4 (same platform)

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

@Juular said it almost right

System power 9: HEC, similar to Masterwatt/cougar lx/evga BR (with 40c instead of 30c)/cv650

Pure power 10/11: FSP, based and heavily modified from Raider

Straight power 10: FSP, based off powerzone and close-ish to EVGA G1+

Straight power 11: FSP, own platform

Straight power 11 platinum: FSP, own but different platform. performs worse than gold but is a lot more quiet

Dark power Pro 11: FSP, own platform

Dark Power Pro 12: CWT, looks close to enermax maxtytan, but with multirail and digital controllers

Hi; why did astro gd in tier D, is it a bad version?

is the consensus on high power performance gd is still the same? or could it be detiered to tier D as well? 

What dou you think about FSP Hydro, Hydro K, and Hydro Pro? I think Hydro and Hydro K can at least be on Tier D and Pro can be on Tier C, but I'd like to learn your thoughts.

http://www.coolenjoy.net/bbs/review/709526

http://www.coolenjoy.net/bbs/review/711153

http://playwares.com/pcreview/56396048

http://playwares.com/index.php?mid=pcreview&category=26814778&document_srl=57586702

http://playwares.com/index.php?mid=pcreview&category=26814778&page=8&document_srl=49392816

"And when it's all over, what we'll remember is; not the words of our enemies, will be the silence of our friends."

Silentium L2 Gold units don't have OTP, so they shouldn't be on Tier A

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold