[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

11 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

I'm not sure if I should buy it or wait for the BitFenix Whisper M to be back in stock

There is also the phantex AMP

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y3bCmG/phanteks-amp-550-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ph-p550g_us01

Which i would also consider. 

3 hours ago, Nlelith said:

I reported this recently:

Now I'm using two different cables on different rails to power up GPU, but this random reboot just happened again. I guess this means that GPU power draw isn't to blame here, and I'm not sure what to do next. Reduced my 6700k overclock from 4.6 GHz to 4.4 GHZ, just in case, but I doubt this is due to overclock, I'd get blue screens if that was the case, not just reboots, right? Are there any other "usual suspects" to this kind of behavior?

Does it happen any faster if you load PC with OCCT\Linpack + Furmark ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 hours ago, grmaster said:

cant find a mov

We're aware, it's just that they're technically budget PSUs (L2 and M2, there is a MOV in FM2) but we can't find an excuse to put it in lower tiers, that's exactly why you should research about your options yourself if you have a few, or ask in the thread, not all tier As are equal.

So... Chicony...don't see it on the list at all, assume I should run away screaming?

10 minutes ago, Azreal967 said:

So... Chicony...don't see it on the list at all, assume I should run away screaming?

Chicony/Hipro is an OEM who generally doesn't sell directly, but rather to for example Corsair (part of old RM) or OEMs like HP

On 3/25/2020 at 11:38 PM, Juular said:

Does it happen any faster if you load PC with OCCT\Linpack + Furmark ?

Spent two days running benchmarks and stress tests, including the one you suggested, and nope, system should be stable. That being said, while synthetic tests do push my CPU really hard, they don't seem to load my GPU as much as games do in terms of power draw. I'll spend some more time on testing this matter, and will try to run games with undervolted GPU to see if that helps with my problem.

Someone know what the “EVGA 600w” would be listed, it has no model, just EVGA 600w

image.jpg

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

10 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Someone know what the “EVGA 600w” would be listed, it has no model, just EVGA 600w

W1

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

W1

Ah sankyu

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Did we ever get confirmation of whether or not transients were a problem on Whisper and Formula gold sub 650 watts?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Did we ever get confirmation of whether or not transients were a problem on Whisper and Formula gold sub 650 watts?

they're not

even a modified 450/550w wouldn't trip on vega, but this modification isn't doable for a consumer himself

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

they're not

even a modified 450/550w wouldn't trip on vega, but this modification isn't doable for a consumer himself

back to recommending formula gold to as many lucky europeans as I can! Bitfenix better get back to US distribution.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Why is the corsair rm 2013 <1000w A tier and the 1000w version is C tier? was there some downside or difference with the 1000w version?

4 hours ago, rocker0 said:

Why is the corsair rm 2013 <1000w A tier and the 1000w version is C tier? was there some downside or difference with the 1000w version?

z.JPG.ff06789bed7148afaad9ef50e36fd7a8.JPG

Because of this. Although it could be already fixed after review came out (Aug 2014) and before it's discontinuation or it was just one-off bad sample, who knows. But since this model is discontinued we don't really bother anyway.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:48 PM, Azreal967 said:

Have seen Chicony at times on plugpacks/laptop bricks.

Haven't noticed any issues on those or had any concerns.

A Turkish guy on our forum has some ideas on you guys

im translating directly. i will send your answers to him as well (he seems ignorant though)

"I never was able to take these lists serious in my life. When I saw the Be Queiet's Pure Power is one tick below the best tier, I just laughed at them. Then they probably got it right and put into 5th category. They used to rule out High Power brand completely in the past, now for some reason they are putting them in. There are some improvements compared to past years but there are still some nonsense in their list. For example, Bitfenix Formula and Whisper series are listed above EVGA G2/P2 FSP Aurum PT Hydro G/G pro Seasonic Focus GX and such.

Even more so, NZXT E series are above those I listed. It is clear that the guy made the list have no idea that NZXT E and Seasonic Focus Gold is entirely built same way."

I, too, wonder if the claim is true, why did NZXT E is listed above the Seasonic Focus Gold? What made Focus gold worse?

16 minutes ago, viceice said:

When I saw the Be Queiet's Pure Power is one tick below the best tier, I just laughed at them.

What's wrong with that ? It should be lower or higher, what ?

They used to rule out High Power brand completely in the past, now for some reason they are putting them in.

If he's talking about numerous issues with their soldering job in the past, it seems that it's fine now and either way, we don't tier soldering unless there are overwhelming issues with some particular unit. Otherwise they have very good performing units without any obvious issues, that's why they end-up in high tiers.

For example, Bitfenix Formula and Whisper series are listed above EVGA G2/P2 FSP Aurum PT Hydro G/G pro Seasonic Focus GX and such.

As all other multi-rail units. We have methodology. I've said numerous times, treat tier A+ and S just as another tier A if you don't like that multi-rail units stand-out.

I, too, wonder if the claim is true, why did NZXT E is listed above the Seasonic Focus Gold? What made Focus gold worse?

Same as above, it's multi-rail.

8 hours ago, Juular said:

What's wrong with that ? It should be lower or higher, what ?

If he's talking about numerous issues with their soldering job in the past, it seems that it's fine now and either way, we don't tier soldering unless there are overwhelming issues with some particular unit. Otherwise they have very good performing units without any obvious issues, that's why they end-up in high tiers.

As all other multi-rail units. We have methodology. I've said numerous times, treat tier A+ and S just as another tier A if you don't like that multi-rail units stand-out.

Same as above, it's multi-rail.

He now claims that NZXT E series are not multi rail at all, posting these pics as "evidence",

0d25208bb65350c64a808fc000e0e962.jpeg

No idea about these things btw, i just shared some opinions on my psu based on its tier here and this guy seems offensive on you guys (dont know why exactly). so it would be good to prove him wrong because he's determined that you're picking sides or something

so in a way, how do we actually know that nxzt psus are actually multi rail in this case? 

3 minutes ago, viceice said:

He now claims that NZXT E series are not multi rail at all, posting these pics as "evidence",

If you look at the video made by NZXT, you see in CAM's software that it's controlable

It does it in a similar fasion as some of the Corsair I series, actually

18 minutes ago, viceice said:

He now claims that NZXT E series are not multi rail at all, posting these pics as "evidence"

That's exactly why we weren't aware that it's multirail just until recently when I've stumbled upon Aris review of it again and noticed a line mentioning that it actually has multitail OCP. It's virtual multirail as with all other modern multirail units, when it's just that protection IC has multiple 12V OCP inputs and are able to trigger them separately, and it's digital, with trigger points controllable manually, just like Corsair RMi for example. So despite it's three rail unit, because NZXT still marked it as singlerail on the specs sheet and disabled multirail OCP by default apparently too, no-one were aware of that, not even NZXT rep himself when Luke tried to confirm that. Apparently someone at NZXT decided to get Seasonic to make it multirail and then for some obscure reason disable it by default and make it look like singlerail. But it's there in marketing materials still. Weird.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I absolutely need a new PSU because the current one is 7 years old and the fan is making a huge noise.

By far the cheapest of the four I picked is BeQuiet System Power 9 500W. The next two are very closely priced; BQ! System Power 9 600W and FSP/Fortron Hydro Pro 600W (all three are 80+ Bronze, B tier). The last, and the most expensive, is the BeQuiet Pure Power 11 500W (80+ Gold, B+ tier). 

They are all a bit overkill for my current PC, but I'm planing on buying a new one after summer and I'm not 100% sure what I'll be getting (probably something like a R5 3600+GTX 1070Ti/RTX 2060, maybe even RTX 2070 if I find one decently priced on the second hand market), so the 500W seem a bit low and not very "future proof".

54 minutes ago, KingNothing said:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I absolutely need a new PSU because the current one is 7 years old and the fan is making a huge noise.

By far the cheapest of the four I picked is BeQuiet System Power 9 500W. The next two are very closely priced; BQ! System Power 9 600W and FSP/Fortron Hydro Pro 600W (all three are 80+ Bronze, B tier). The last, and the most expensive, is the BeQuiet Pure Power 11 500W (80+ Gold, B+ tier). 

They are all a bit overkill for my current PC, but I'm planing on buying a new one after summer and I'm not 100% sure what I'll be getting (probably something like a R5 3600+GTX 1070Ti/RTX 2060, maybe even RTX 2070 if I find one decently priced on the second hand market), so the 500W seem a bit low and not very "future proof".

500W is enough if it's gaming PC, i.e if you wouldn't load it to the 100% potential both on CPU and GPU simultaneously. Current generation games generally don't load 8+ thread CPUs to 100% so even with high-end multi-core CPUs, power draw in games would be limited to ~75W or so. And speaking of the choices you've mentioned 500W bq! PP11 would be somewhat better pick than 600W bq! SP9 or FSP Hydro Pro. You can also give some links to online stores you will be buying from so we'll see if there are smth else, but better create a separate thread for that.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

500W is enough if it's gaming PC, i.e if you wouldn't load it to the 100% potential both on CPU and GPU simultaneously. Current generation games generally don't load 8+ thread CPUs to 100% so even with high-end multi-core CPUs, power draw in games would be limited to ~75W or so. And speaking of the choices you've mentioned 500W bq! PP11 would be somewhat better pick than 600W bq! SP9 or FSP Hydro Pro. You can also give some links to online stores you will be buying from so we'll see if there are smth else, but better create a separate thread for that.

Didn't do that because I'm from Croatia. Hydro Pro is $80, System Power 9 500W $65, SP9 600W is $75, and the Pure Power 11 500W is $85. The 20$ difference is ~140 of my local currency. But I guess I'd be fine to spend that if it meant I'm reducing the chances of my PC exploding. And yes, it would be mainly a gaming PC.  

btw. the GTX 1070Ti is recommended with a 550+W PSU. Are you sure 500W is going to be enough? I'm not planning to do any crazy overclocking.

5 minutes ago, KingNothing said:

But I guess I'd be fine to spend that if it meant I'm reducing the chances of my PC exploding.

It's not about exploding, mainly the main differences between bq! PP11 and bq! SP9 \ FSP Hydro Pro are better fan and over-temperature protection on the former, hence my recommendation.

7 minutes ago, KingNothing said:

GTX 1070Ti is recommended with a 550+W PSU. Are you sure 500W is going to be enough?

Yes. GTX1070 Ti draws just about 170-180W, maybe a bit more than that OC'd, plus about 50-75W for CPU and another 50-75W for other components, that's just about 350W maximum under full load.