[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

correct

it's the most clear thing i can notice between the GD 2017 and 2019

Mkay.  My 2 cents in that case, it may make a bit more sense to a casual observer to say:

GD 2017 (Wattages that end in 50's   example: 550 Watt)

GD 2019 (Wattages that end in 100's  example: 600 Watt)

that way they don't have to solve for x ?

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

Mkay.  My 2 cents in that case, it may make a bit more sense to a casual observer to say:

GD 2017 (Wattages that end in 50's   example: 550 Watt)

GD 2019 (Wattages that end in 100's  example: 600 Watt)

that way they don't have to solve for x ?

GD 550, 650, 750

GD 500, 600, 700

Bam. 

On 10/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Tier B - Recommended for entry level gaming systems only, preferably single PCI-e power connection on GPU, desktops intended for prolonged 24/7 usage.

XFX Pro XXX

Oh shit...didn't know my 850W XFX Pro XXX was a bomb. Has been alive for 5 years, powering a variety of hardware, starting with dual 290Xes (at 1200mHz) with a 3570K (at 4.2GHz) then a 5820K@4.2GHz and dual 290Xes (stock, due to knowing hitting PSU limits), before one slightly dying (vRAM failure) so dropping down to a single RX470 (due to budget constraints) and then finally, my current build, a 1700@3.9GHz and Fury OCed. 

Better upgrade ASAP aye? ?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Why is the EVGA G3 inferior to G2 in this list? They are all OEM Superflower Leadex, and G3 utilize Hydraulic bearing fan, with an extra overheat protection. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

didn't know my 850W XFX Pro XXX was a bomb.

Oh you want a bomb?  Why didn't you say so?  Have your pick of Tier E, my favorite are the diablotek units that save you money on 4th of July Fireworks by spewing hot sparks out the back.

Based on the odd rant however, you seem a bit disappointed with Tier B, when you have to look at that being the standard for a NEW PSU, not a 5-year old one.  Comparing what you have to a new unit from Tier-B is really not that big of a deal.  I'm still running my Corsair TX750 from 7+ years ago and it's still fine, despite that unit not being ranked in it's older form.

Any possibility some FLEX power supplies will be included in this list? For for example FSP, Silverstone, Enhance, Athena Power ??

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Oh shit...didn't know my 850W XFX Pro XXX was a bomb. Has been alive for 5 years, powering a variety of hardware, starting with dual 290Xes (at 1200mHz) with a 3570K (at 4.2GHz) then a 5820K@4.2GHz and dual 290Xes (stock, due to knowing hitting PSU limits), before one slightly dying (vRAM failure) so dropping down to a single RX470 (due to budget constraints) and then finally, my current build, a 1700@3.9GHz and Fury OCed. 

Better upgrade ASAP aye? ?

Tier B isn't a bomb, these are perfectly good PSUs, not for dual 290X's maybe, that's probably why one of them 'slightly' died, ripple and such, but don't quote me on that.

1 hour ago, Gaochan said:

Any possibility some FLEX power supplies will be included in this list? For for example FSP, Silverstone, Enhance, Athena Power ??

There's already quite a bit of FSP & Silverstone PSUs in the list, no ? Not all of them tho. FSP's lineup are even weirder than EVGA's so it's hard to keep track of it i guess.

3 hours ago, PowerBaller said:

Why is the EVGA G3 inferior to G2 in this list? They are all OEM Superflower Leadex, and G3 utilize Hydraulic bearing fan, with an extra overheat protection. 

Click on the link in the PSU name, there's problems with G3 protections.

9 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

It took me a hot second, but I assume when you post these (x50) and (x00) you are stating that only the units that end in 50 or 100 watts (like a 550 vs a 600 W unit?)

Ooh, thaat's what this means lol. I figured maybe it's what SKU number ends with and was too lazy to check it. @LukeSavenije Maybe just add 'W' in there so it'll be more obvious ?

10 hours ago, TylorLMS said:

Im surprised the EVGA Supernova isn't on this list. I thought it was one of the more popular high end psu's

That's EVGA G(n) lineup : G(1), G(1)+, G2, G3, G5. None of them can be recommended right now, those that are okay (G(1)+, G2, G5) are either too expensive or not available at all. And G3 has problems with protections, which probably not a concern for 90% of users but with a plenty of competition that's not an excuse (similar situation to Seasonic Focus and derivatives).

2 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Oh you want a bomb?  Why didn't you say so?  Have your pick of Tier E, my favorite are the diablotek units that save you money on 4th of July Fireworks by spewing hot sparks out the back.

Never heard of Diablotek. In my country that's Huntkey i guess, whenever i see their PSU in the PC i want to cry. People never learn.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Thanks for the hard work, informative & awesome list.??

Though one question bugging my mind, why is seasonic not in Tier S & A+ list, is it not good enough❓

In Tier A, Seasonic Prime is mentioned, does that include all Prime series from gold to titanium❔

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) | GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX 5700 XT | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

4 hours ago, PowerBaller said:

Why is the EVGA G3 inferior to G2 in this list? They are all OEM Superflower Leadex

the g3 had an issue with a cap's housing melting and another dying in opp testing at tomshardware, and I've heard similar issues with units popping on a direct level

45 minutes ago, Juular said:

Never heard of Diablotek

THE example of a bomb, they went down years ago

4 minutes ago, Detective said:

Though one question bugging my mind, why is seasonic not in Tier S & A+ list, is it not good enough

that's because seasonic is a big fan of using single rail, and one of the requirements for tier a+ is a multrirail ocp

Why is XFX TS tier D? Everyone was recommending them, because they were supposedly good quality PSUs made by Seasonic and now you're telling me they're garbage?

21 minutes ago, pref1X said:

Why is XFX TS tier D? Everyone was recommending them, because they were supposedly good quality PSUs made by Seasonic and now you're telling me they're garbage?

I believe the XFX TS series platform is quite dated at this time (~4 or so years old now). While they may have been "OK" in their time, they're probably not up to today's standards.

I see on XFX website, there are TS Gold (modular and wired) as well as TS Bronze (modular and wired) models. What I'm not sure of is if the platforms for those units have been updated more recently or not.

@LukeSavenije Any thoughts?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

48 minutes ago, pref1X said:

According to this "tier list"pooo.png.76cdef544cc202bf683eb80265f8c5eb.png, XFX TS units are "above average", in the same category as Corsair TX-M or FSP Hydro GE. It seems like it shares platform with S12? hmm, yet with DC-DC converter? interesting.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

51 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

@LukeSavenije Any thoughts?

just looked over it a bit, it's a s12g

19 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

It seems like it shares platform with S12? hmm, yet with DC-DC converter?

kinda, yeah

but not quite

edit: bronze is a s12ii for who wondered

I noticed the lack of the sea sonic platinum and titanium series. Those are some of the best PSU made ever with less than 1% ripple even under load, hot and cold.

1 minute ago, cdoublejj said:

I noticed the lack of the sea sonic platinum and titanium series. Those are some of the best PSU made ever with less than 1% ripple even under load, hot and cold.

platinum would include focus

but if you meant prime, look at tier a

1 hour ago, cdoublejj said:

If we're talking about 12V rail, <1% ripple is in ATX specs, of course they meet it lol. In fact, there's quite a lot of PSUs that don't exceed 0.1% ripple. But Seasonic Focus aren't one of them, with Prime being close to 0.1% while for example Corsair RMx is at ~0.06%. Regardless of whether is ripple can be considered a good characteristic to compare PSUs except it's extremely high.

1 hour ago, cdoublejj said:

Those are some of the best PSU made ever with less than 1% ripple even under load, hot and cold.

18 minutes ago, Juular said:

If we're talking about 12V rail, <1% ripple is in ATX specs, of course they meet it lol. In fact, there's quite a lot of PSUs that don't exceed 0.1% ripple. But Seasonic Focus aren't one of them, with Prime being close to 0.1% while for example Corsair RMx is at ~0.06%. Regardless of whether is ripple can be considered a good characteristic to compare PSUs except it's extremely high.

Huh, what is "1% ripple"? Why are you referring to ripple in percent? No reviewer measures ripple in percent. Weird to see two separate people invent such term in such a short period of time!

When you say "1% ripple", do you mean "1% of maximum allowed ripple for that rail"?

If so, 1% ripple for the 12V rail would be 1.2mV, "Prime being close to 0.1%" would be 0.12mV, and "for example Corsair RMx is at ~0.06%" would be 0.072mV ripple.

Or... is "1% ripple" supposed to mean it's one percent of the nominal voltage? I.e. 1% ripple for the 12V rail is supposed to mean 120mV? That would fit, but I've never seen anybody talk about ripple like this. It's better to just use absolute values, or so I think.

13 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Based on the odd rant however, you seem a bit disappointed with Tier B, when you have to look at that being the standard for a NEW PSU, not a 5-year old one.  Comparing what you have to a new unit from Tier-B is really not that big of a deal.  I'm still running my Corsair TX750 from 7+ years ago and it's still fine, despite that unit not being ranked in it's older form.

Wis a joke ;) 

Not disappointed, more poking fun at the tier list.

11 hours ago, Juular said:

Tier B isn't a bomb, these are perfectly good PSUs, not for dual 290X's maybe, that's probably why one of them 'slightly' died, ripple and such, but don't quote me on that.

Nawh, one of the vRAM chips was physically cracked (or at least the plastic casing was). No idea how it happened xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

42 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Huh, what is "1% ripple"? Why are you referring to ripple in percent? No reviewer measures ripple in percent. Weird to see two separate people invent such term in such a short period of time!

When you say "1% ripple", do you mean "1% of maximum allowed ripple for that rail"?

If so, 1% ripple for the 12V rail would be 1.2mV, "Prime being close to 0.1%" would be 0.12mV, and "for example Corsair RMx is at ~0.06%" would be 0.072mV ripple.

Or... is "1% ripple" supposed to mean it's one percent of the nominal voltage? I.e. 1% ripple for the 12V rail is supposed to mean 120mV? That would fit, but I've never seen anybody talk about ripple like this. It's better to just use absolute values, or so I think.

Yes, in that context, when i say 1% ripple, it's 'maximum allowed ripple for that rail'. 12 V is 12,000 mV, 1% of that are 120 mV, that's ATX specification, all PSUs if that's not some Chinese crap or grossly flawed design will not exceed it. I don't get what you don't get here.

41 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

If so, 1% ripple for the 12V rail would be 1.2mV

1.2 mV is 0.01% of 12 V.

@LukeSavenije Is gold-label Corsair AX aka Corsair Professional is too old to be included in here? It seems that it's from 2010. Question is basically, do we need to replace it or not.

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Is gold-label Corsair AX aka Corsair Professional is too old to be included in here?

well... it's platform is in the list, the seasonic x

it can probably go on for a few more years

Isn't the EVGA G3 based on the Leadex II? Why are they in such different tiers? Trying to find a short 1000W+ PSU that won't catch on fire.

2 hours ago, donut4490 said:

Isn't the EVGA G3 based on the Leadex II? Why are they in such different tiers? Trying to find a short 1000W+ PSU that won't catch on fire.

based, yes

but it's not the same, the leadex iii would be closer than the ii, and iii came out after the g3