[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

4 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

It has been stated many times in this thread.  The outervision PSU calculator is NOT accurate.  It wildly over-estimates.

Cool good to know, if you didn't notice I just joined today, this is the first PSU purchase I'm making in this decade I'm running a Antec CP-850 still lol, didn't know about the site, i'll check on pcpartpicker, I'm not looking to waste money obviously but I buy the things so infrequently I don't mind going a little over what I need, especially if it will be more efficient in the long run. 

21 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

The Gigabyte G750H fits the NZXT H210 right?

Should.  Assuming it's a standard ATX layout in that case (a quick glance at PCPartPicker looks to be the case).  Is there a reason to be concerned about clearance in your case?  Do you have extra stuff in the case or a size constraint?

2 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

Cool good to know, if you didn't notice I just joined today, this is the first PSU purchase I'm making in this decade I'm running a Antec 850 CXP still lol, didn't know about the site, i'll check on pcpartpicker, I'm not looking to waste money obviously but I buy the things so infrequently I don't mind going a little over what I need, especially if it will be more efficient in the long run. 

If you're looking for tailored recommendations might I suggest making your own thread in this subforum so you can list your details and get suggestions on what PSU to buy.

5 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Should.  Assuming it's a standard ATX layout in that case (a quick glance at PCPartPicker looks to be the case).  Is there a reason to be concerned about clearance in your case?  Do you have extra stuff in the case or a size constraint?

In NZXT's Page it says PSU Length: 311mm and it supports ATX PSU.
Just a little bit worried since the G750H looks quite big.

36 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

If you're looking for tailored recommendations might I suggest making your own thread in this subforum so you can list your details and get suggestions on what PSU to buy.

Well I wasn't I was mainly hoping to hear someone compare the ax850 & prime ultra 850 to the t2 850 but everyone wanted to inform me that I'm making ridiculous selections. 

But since I have you here, I just completed a PCpartpicker list, my estimated wattage pre overclock and minus a handful of USB devies is 539, would you recommend a 550w PSU for that range?

edit: forgot to put in m.2 drives 559* estimated pre/oc

15 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

In NZXT's Page it says PSU Length: 311mm and it supports ATX PSU.
Just a little bit worried since the G750H looks quite big.

The G750H is a standard ATX PSU.... it's not big.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Also you have to reset bios or remove/insert the battery from motherboard after you install a new psu, i notice that my pc didn't power on with the new seasonic psu until i have reset motherboard bios, finally i RMA the psu because fan noise, now i have to decide between evga supernova 650w p2 (evga p2 750w and p2 850w have higher fan RPM and bigger fan noise) or straight power 11 750w.

If you buy a new psu and is not working try to reset motherboard bios or remove/insert motherboard battery after psu installation. 

5 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

It's made by Andyson

yeah, it looked a bit like it on those 2 coils

any idea on the platform yet?

Hello, is the tx550m much better then the cx550 one? Is it worth the $10 difference 

1 hour ago, Erik052000 said:

Hello, is the tx550m much better then the cx550 one? Is it worth the $10 difference 

the txm is better than the cx, even if the greatwall version of the cx is based off a similar platform

both are good PSUs, but I'd consider a 10 dollar difference worth it

7 hours ago, JackSparrow35 said:

Also you have to reset bios or remove/insert the battery from motherboard after you install a new psu

You shouldn't have to. I've never had to do this in 10+ years of working with computers. It might indicate you have some other issue.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

You shouldn't have to. I've never had to do this in 10+ years of working with computers. It might indicate you have some other issue.

I have replaced a nox urano v650 psu with a seasonic gx-650 and no power, after clear cmos the new psu was ok, then when i removed the seasonic psu to send it for RMA i have installed again the nox urano 650w and no power again, after clear cmos the psu begin to work, i have an asrock z87 pro4 motherboard, maybe because some protection in this motherboard. Now my pc is booting ok with my old psu, only when i replace the psu i need to clear cmos for one time.

The RM850x (2018) inrush current measured by Kitguru is almost twice as high as measured by Tom'sHardware - both at 115V and 230V. When trying to go to Kitgurus methodology for measuring inrush current, you'll receive a 404. I also noticed a large amount of similarities between the text on the two reviews. What gives?

36 minutes ago, Cophee said:

The RM850x (2018) inrush current measured by Kitguru is almost twice as high as measured by Tom'sHardware - both at 115V and 230V. When trying to go to Kitgurus methodology for measuring inrush current, you'll receive a 404. I also noticed a large amount of similarities between the text on the two reviews. What gives?

Both are done by Aris

but it’s strange that he measured The inrush current differently though

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

5 hours ago, JackSparrow35 said:

installed again the nox urano 650w and no power again, after clear cmos the psu begin to work, i have an asrock z87 pro4 motherboard

That's what you call a weird motherboard quirk.  Doesn't mean you should soapbox the idea to all just because your one (older) motherboard does it.  I have also never had to clear CMOS just because of a PSU change.  Likely something weird with your motherboard, or the cmos battery is getting bad (or shorted).  Doesn't mean you should auto-blame the PSU because the board is weird.

13 hours ago, JackSparrow35 said:

Also you have to reset bios or remove/insert the battery from motherboard after you install a new psu, i notice that my pc didn't power on with the new seasonic psu until i have reset motherboard bios, finally i RMA the psu because fan noise, now i have to decide between evga supernova 650w p2 (evga p2 750w and p2 850w have higher fan RPM and bigger fan noise) or straight power 11 750w.

If you buy a new psu and is not working try to reset motherboard bios or remove/insert motherboard battery after psu installation. 

Why did you quote me with this message?  The post of mine you quoted was directed at someone else's specific situation and it had nothing to do with this random unsolicited advice you seem to be oddly proffering at me.

I'm not buying a new PSU, the person I was replying to is, I was offering buying advice and clarification on other points.

How much inrush current is safe? Also, will it be damaging the power supply or the breakers and fuses of the home itself?

1 last final question I promise. 
Which is overall better? 
Corsair CX650M $78 or Corsair CX 650 $80 or Gigabyte G750H $85?

I heard Corsair RMx and RMi are same internals basically. But they are in diff tiers. How come?

13 minutes ago, Krack said:

I heard Corsair RMx and RMi are same internals basically. But they are in diff tiers. How come?

The difference that determines A+ vs Tier A is (if looking at the list details methodology spoiler):

"well configured multirail"

So one can presume that means the RMi has multirail, while the RMx does not.

5 hours ago, Cophee said:

How much inrush current is safe? Also, will it be damaging the power supply or the breakers and fuses of the home itself?

That inrush current lasts about for a handfull of ms   to charge capacitors  , some circuit breakers are tolerant to such high inrushes , my household had very old circuit breakers that were rated at 10amps and it used to trip when my rmi charged its capacitors its inrush was about 70A@220v , after i changed the cb in my house to 32A and 40A as the wirings where good enough the problem stopped. 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

In tier B+ notes it says: Tier B+ is required to have OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP.

Gigabyte G750H is in tier B+

On their official site it says: Protection: OVP/OPP/SCP/UVP

So its missing one safety feature to be in tier B+

Why are the Seasonic Focus Plus series not on the list? Is it cause they're being replaced by the GX/PX series? Did the focus plus units sit in A tier before being replaced?