[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

I mean, if you're in US, there are Corsair CX450 for similar price at least.

It is great for the price but wouldnt I need something a little more like a 500w or more??

2 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Nobody knows because nobody tested it.

So you think its gonna burn my house down or maybe in the future?? LMAO 

13 minutes ago, Vexzyy said:

It is great for the price but wouldnt I need something a little more like a 500w or more??

Not for RX580.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Not for RX580.

So i should just ditch the power supply and get the Corsair CX450 and i should be fine with a rx 570?

7 minutes ago, Vexzyy said:

So i should just ditch the power supply and get the Corsair CX450 and i should be fine with a rx 570?

cx450+rx 580 would work as well, as long as the 580 model doesn't have too many pcie connectors needed

11 minutes ago, Vexzyy said:

Choosing between Rosewill ARC 550 (nice name lol) and Corsair CX 450, yes, definitely.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

cx450+rx 580 would work as well, as long as the 580 model doesn't have too many pcie connectors needed

AFAIK, all Polaris based GPUs have single 6+2 pin connector, same for most RTX2060 (Super), so there's a plenty of upgrade potential.

Just now, Juular said:

Choosing between Rosewill ARC 550 (nice name lol) and Corsair CX 450, yes, definitely.

ight ima try and get a return on that power supply and pick up the CX450.. but if worst comes to worst could i still use the power supply or is it just a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment?

8 minutes ago, Vexzyy said:

ight ima try and get a return on that power supply and pick up the CX450.. but if worst comes to worst could i still use the power supply or is it just a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment?

I wouldn't say it's a ticking bomb but it's definitely not a very good PSU. As Luke said, JG managed to destroy (by loading it at 100% rated power, so it's more like 400W PSU, not 500W at all) a PSU based presumably on the same design but there are possibility that it was improved as that were a review from 2014.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

I wouldn't say it's a ticking bomb but it's definitely not a very good PSU. As Luke said, JG managed to destroy a PSU based presumably on the same design but there are possibility that it was improved.

ok because i might just keep it for now and get enough money to get something thats better like the CX450 or something different 

52 minutes ago, Juular said:

AFAIK, all Polaris based GPUs have single 6+2 pin connector

Unfortunately not. Sapphire nitro+ rx580 definitely has 6+2&6 pin, and then there are the rx590, which is kind of pathetic disgrace (yes, i mean it..) 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

8 hours ago, Juular said:

Not for RX580.

That was a typo.  The poster said they have an RX 570 and you inserted the RX 580 lol.  They never mentioned RX 580 or any other GPU.

We got to the right answer, but for crying out loud it's a Ryzen 3200g and an RX 570 we're talking about, we can all agree that it's NOT going to draw 450W on it's worst day.  @Vexzyy should know that his parts are not that demanding and in no way requires even a 500W PSU.  As we all pointed out the system deserves a good PSU, not a mystery box from Rosewill with a sticker that "claims" it might do 550.

Oh boy better yet.  I found the sticker for the ARC 550.  Anyone else see anything wrong here (let's play spot the horrible flaws!):

811prsTmbcL._SL1500_.jpg

The other kicker:  I found that in Nov 2017 Newegg slapped a rebate on the product that brought the net-price (free shipping) down to $12.99 ... That says a lot when a company sells their in-house brand at what's starting to look like cost.  Either they wanted rid of it, or they were still making money.  That's a bit concerning...

What do you guys think about the XPG Core Reactor? I saw some specs and it seems good but i'm not an expert in psu's so...

50 minutes ago, spart said:

What do you guys think about the XPG Core Reactor?

from what i and stefan can see from this internal shot, it looks fairly close to rmx

XPG-Core-Reactor-850-Gold-17.jpg

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

from what i and stefan can see from this internal shot, it looks fairly close to rmx

Ok that's good :) it is compatible with a nr600 case rigth? 

And also i can get the core reactor and the rm750 2019 for almost the same price, which would be better to purchase?

I've been using the Seasonic S12ii 520W for almost 3 years now and never encountered a problem.

I'm planning to upgrade my PC, should I buy a new PSU? My current one is apparently in a shit tier according to this post.

16 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

That says a lot when a company sells their in-house brand

Oh, i had no idea that Rosewill are Newegg's brand ...

12 hours ago, spart said:

And also i can get the core reactor and the rm750 2019 for almost the same price, which would be better to purchase?

Assuming that XPG Core Reactor are indeed the same exact platform as Corsair RMx and performs similarly then it's better than Corsair RM.

3 hours ago, Tenma White said:

I've been using the Seasonic S12ii 520W for almost 3 years now and never encountered a problem.

I'm planning to upgrade my PC, should I buy a new PSU? My current one is apparently in a shit tier according to this post.

If you were using it with pre-Haswell platform it were good enough, for anything modern, especially with dGPU it's advisable to get a new PSU with modern topology, smth from tier B and up, preferably tier A\A+. In US you can get Enermax Revolution DF 650W now for 80$.

13 hours ago, spart said:

Ok that's good :) it is compatible with a nr600 case rigth? 

it is, lower wattage atx PSUs generally aren't a problem with cases

keep in mind that cwt does a lot of custom stuff, and i don't have any reviews on this unit. i can only estimate

3 hours ago, Tenma White said:

should I buy a new PSU?

assuming you get a mid- to high-end system, highly recommend

14 hours ago, spart said:

What do you guys think about the XPG Core Reactor? I saw some specs and it seems good but i'm not an expert in psu's so...

14 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, Juular said:

Assuming that XPG Core Reactor are indeed the same exact platform as Corsair RMx and performs similarly then it's better than Corsair RM.

XPG Core Reactor uses the CWT CSE platform.

And also it looks nothing like RMx :PI mean, really. I can sometimes understand the confusion about RMx V2 versus CWT GPU versus CWT GPR, but this isn't really similar at all, at least to me. Completely different parts, layout and design, especially around the PFC transistors and LLC controller.

Nice clearer picture here: qmnPwE1.png

48 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

XPG Core Reactor uses the CWT CSE platform.

any reviews on it? i couldn't find any on the xpg core

Hello, I`m planning to upgrade my psu because i bought an rx580 and I`m on a tight budget. I found a deepcool DQ550ST at a reasonably good price. I know it`s a b+ tier but I can`t seem to find any more info about it. At the same price i could maybe buy a corsair tx550m , be quiet system power 9 500w, seasonic core gold gc 500w, silentiumpc supremo l2 550w.

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

any reviews on it? i couldn't find any on the xpg core

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=107&volts=1

2 minutes ago, Erik052000 said:

Hello, I`m planning to upgrade my psu because i bought an rx580 and I`m on a tight budget. I found a deepcool DQ550ST at a reasonably good price. I know it`s a b+ tier but I can`t seem to find any more info about it. At the same price i could maybe buy a corsair tx550m , be quiet system power 9 500w, seasonic core gold gc 500w, silentiumpc supremo l2 550w.

Go for Corsair TXm then.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Go for Corsair TXm then.

I actually made a mistake, the TXm is $15 more. Is it still worth that, over the others listed?