[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

possible, but nothing i can confirm

evga's lineup is confusing lol

Wait until they'll introduce three-letter lineup names.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 hours ago, filippalfi said:

How about Enermax Platimax 750w,non DF?

Can you provide a link to the exact model?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

On 12/6/2019 at 3:48 PM, LukeSavenije said:

i checked a review on it a while ago

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/enermax-epm1200ewt/

it's good, but dated... seems around 9 years old now

Hmm,cant find the exact model. It is semi modular with main cables being ketchup and mustard,but the rest are flat black,so i guess its not the oldest one.

2 hours ago, filippalfi said:

Hmm,cant find the exact model. It is semi modular with main cables being ketchup and mustard,but the rest are flat black,so i guess its not the oldest one.

it seems to be the one that got linked here by @Juular to my eye, so probably the one i linked as a review

so again, good, but dated

Hey folks!

I'd like to ask a few things just to become wiser when it comes to PSU's, but I thought I'd add a little context first. I'm a bit confused and I've been looking at this newer tier list (I used to keep an eye on the older one) trying to understand the criteria, at least generally, for noobs. At a quick glance it seems like the Corsair AX series ranked lower in this one compared to the old list, I'm mostly looking for a 1000W/850W (in case there's no cheaper option for the former) so it caught my glimpse; I was just reading through Aris' reviews on TH and apparently the AX1000 has gotten a pretty recent revision.

With that in mind:
- why would Corsair HXi be recommended over the 2018 AX revision for multiple GPU setup?

- how come the V Platinum is a top recommendation now with their new version?

- would a more recent production PSU offer any advantage for Zen2 cpu's, taking into account that amd handles system idle totally different now? Also, would their "race to sleep" implementation have any impact on sub 10% loads when it comes to general efficiency?

Thank you for your time!

2 hours ago, asunder said:

- why would Corsair HXi be recommended over the 2018 AX revision for multiple GPU setup?

Because it's multirail, it's not exactly a requirement but good to have, see it as yet another protection feature.

- would a more recent production PSU offer any advantage for Zen2 cpu's, taking into account that amd handles system idle totally different now? Also, would their "race to sleep" implementation have any impact on sub 10% loads when it comes to general efficiency?

Any relatively modern PSU with independent regulation topology would be the same here. There was a new power saving standard released recently (EpS 2.92 IIRC) but since there's just a handful of lineups that support it yet you shouldn't really choose a PSU based on it's support.

I'm mostly looking for a 1000W/850W

What's your specs ?

4 hours ago, asunder said:

why would Corsair HXi be recommended over the 2018 AX revision for multiple GPU setup?

because AX is a single rail, based off the Seasonic Prime platform

how come the V Platinum is a top recommendation now with their new version?

because of it being a delta GM, just as the antec

would a more recent production PSU offer any advantage for Zen2 cpu's, taking into account that amd handles system idle totally different now?

not at this moment, but atx 2.52 has recently been introduced with a higher requirement for sleep states, so we might see something from that soon

@Juular Oh that's good to know, thank you! Initially I wanted to build a TR workstation, but with the crazy prices here on the new threadrippers (and the previous platform not making much sense anymore), it's a little bit too much for an entry workstation. I would probably build around a 3900x or 3950x, leaving options open towards a 3960X when next gen is out, if I reach a point where render times start being really important. I will probably be using most of the SATA ports available (up to 4xSSD 2xHDD) and for the GPU side I'm hoping to drag it out with a 1070 until a suitable replacement makes sense.

But really I would just rather have the system running cool at lower rpm, firstly to avoid noise and second for daily power savings (if I leave UE4 loading environment assets overnight, for example, I really wouldn't want the system to be holding the PSU at full load). Also the chassis isn't great in terms of ground clearance for the PSU socket, it sits barely above ground level so I would assume the fan spinning faster wouldn't be as useful.

@LukeSavenije Interesting, I've read Delta has a reputation for build quality, but I checked some in-depth reviews which pointed out the V1300 isn't doing great in transient response (3.3V) compared to many other alternatives in the same price point (V1000 would be relevant here but it's newer so I can't find any review). So I was wondering why someone would recommend it over a Corsair or EVGA with higher efficiency levels.
Btw, thank you for the detailed reply!

5 minutes ago, asunder said:

reviews which pointed out the V1300 isn't doing great in transient response (3.3V) compared to many other alternatives in the same price point

just to make sure... can you link the reviews to me? so i know you didn't accidentally look at the seasonic based one from 2013

13 minutes ago, asunder said:

V1300 isn't doing great in transient response (3.3V) compared to many other alternatives in the same price point

AFAIK, nothing really uses 3.3V rail nowadays where slightly suboptimal transient response would matter. It's mostly RAM which isn't generating much transients and on some boards (high-end presumably) it's actually replaced by 5V rail.

I would probably build around a 3900x or 3950x, leaving options open towards a 3960X when next gen is out,

I'm hoping to drag it out with a 1070 until a suitable replacement makes sense.

All you need is a good 750W PSU then.

But really I would just rather have the system running cool at lower rpm

PSU noise (if we're talking about that) doesn't depends on the power rating of PSU really, 1200W PSU and 750W PSU on the similarly performing platforms will have the same thermals and therefore noise with the same load level.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

just to make sure... can you link the reviews to me? so i know you didn't accidentally look at the seasonic based one from 2013

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-v850-platinum-power-supply,6119.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-v1300-platinum-power-supply,6115.html

Apologies, I actually wanted to link a few but I figured I didn't want to bother you guys with long posts.
The one I mentioned was here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-v1300-platinum-power-supply,6115.htm

Juular linked the other one on the 850W unit.

@Juular My knowledge is probably superficial, but I compared the load testing graphs on a few units and I assume a higher wattage unit would be more efficient if it runs at the 50% efficiency level under load. I was just trying to figure out a way to balance it out between 10% and 50% workloads so it always runs at higher efficiency.

12 minutes ago, asunder said:

My knowledge is probably superficial, but I compared the load testing graphs on a few units and I assume a higher wattage unit would be more efficient if it runs at the 50% efficiency level under load. I was just trying to figure out a way to balance it out between 10% and 50% workloads so it always runs at higher efficiency.

Efficency curves of modern PSUs with LLC topology are very flat, there's like 3% difference between highest efficiency point and 20\100% load.

See these same two reviews on CM V Platinum, it's about 90% on 850W unit and 92% on 1200W one at 700W load.

But nope, these two units at least, don't have the same noise output on 700W ...

Would you have any hints on how to figure out if it's a modern topology? Sometimes it gets confusing because most vendors do not mention the release date of the units, so it's quite hard to determine if it's a refreshed unit or an older unit, especially with stocks being old across various stores, plus items have different SKU's for EU, which is another layer of complications (a good example of this is the AX line which has like 2018, 2010 etc variants, superflower's stuff looks extremely similar as well).

22 minutes ago, asunder said:

Would you have any hints on how to figure out if it's a modern topology?

You have this same tier list, anything up from tier B are modern, not necessarily LLC but if you're looking at Gold\Platinum unit chances are it is. In other words, don't worry about efficiency, it's not a way to choose PSU.

See, if you plan to use Threadripper 3960X, it's power draw are about 300W on average, GTX1070 isn't exactly power hungry GPU but if we make some room for potential upgrade to say RTX2080 Ti which is 300W too, that's about 650-700W on average in the worst case scenario (power draw wise), likely no more than 550W in usual usage patterns. CM V850 seems a bit loud but it's more expensive at that so i don't see the point in it, if you want multirail then go for Bitfenix Whisper \ Enermax Revolution DF but Corsair RMx \ Seasonic Focus GX \ Phanteks AMP (nevermind, they're not so quiet too) would be good too.

@LukeSavenije Where Seasonic PRIME Gold GD & GX stand for in the tier list ? Or there's not enough data on them ?

23 minutes ago, Juular said:

@LukeSavenije Where Seasonic PRIME Gold GD & GX stand for in the tier list ? Or there's not enough data on them ?

you mean prime gold? they're not too far off from focus, but have a couple small upgrades to them

from the focus gx i already have data with the recent phanteks amp review, as well as the focus px review recently, though that one had a surprisingly low opp/ocp

i need to have more on transients in general, so I'll leave that aside for now

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

you mean prime gold?

Yes, PRIME Gold (GX) and PRIME Gold Ultra \ SNOWSILENT (GD). With recent price spikes on PSUs in US they have rather good price to ratio buy i don't see them in the list, there's only PRIME Platinum.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

there's only PRIME Platinum

ah, right

I'll add them in a bit... first want to do some last checks

Also (i think i've asked about them already), what about Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB ?

Oh wow, I had previously narrowed it down to something like a HX850i or a Prime Platinum but it seems these open up a new perspective. I'm gonna google some reviews of those and do some reading. I'm avoiding the focus stuff for now because I'm quite sure local vendors have older stock and might not have the revisions, will see if I can source it somewhere else.

PS:Kudos to you for actually teaching others!

Edit: seems I have to rule out the Bitfenix Whisper as well because only caseking has them and shipping is like a third of its price.

1 hour ago, Booterbotter said:

Is this not in the Tier list? Sorry, a bit confused on the FPS Hydro series models

it's not, i'll see what i can find tomorrow