[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

3 hours ago, RandW said:

Thanks for the info, but here's the thing, the PSU is designed @ 750W, but when you overload it to 900W+ (120%~) it goes over spec, and you call it a flaw, isn't that a little harsh?

It is. but you wouldn't see other PSUs in the list to fail like this at 120% (from tier C and up), it's not a common situation but still, it gives some insight on the quality of the design. And as i said, it has problems with GPU stability so these are probably related problems.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i can confirm, both are tier b

thanks, still not sure which one to buy between the 2 though the Cooler master one looks better because it's 650W and just a very small marginal amount difference.

13 minutes ago, Booterbotter said:

thanks, still not sure which one to buy between the 2 though the Cooler master one looks better because it's 650W and just a very small marginal amount difference.

To start with, what are you trying to power ?

Running Threadripper 3960X on Seasonic SS-660XP2 from old PC. Should I move on?

7 minutes ago, Fu Yu said:

would create your own thread that includes all system specs. 

20 minutes ago, Fu Yu said:

jugding by the older tierlist. that one is still good to go. 

tho depending on the hardware you are going to power in addition to the 3960x. you might want to look at something higher wattage. tho that is only dependant on the extra hardware. 

9 hours ago, Juular said:

To start with, what are you trying to power ?

Just these 

Ryzen 5 3400G

Deepcool Gammaxx 400 cpu air cooler

MSI B450 Mortar Max

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB

2pcs of 1 TB HDD

1 SSD

6 case fans

I know that 550w may be enough but considering future proofing as to why the $2+ difference of the COOLER MASTER MASTERWATT650 TUF GAMING EDITION 650WATTS 80+ CERTIFIED BRONZE MASTERWATT 650 
seems to be a good deal. Specially if in case in the future I'd get an RX 5700 :D

2 minutes ago, Booterbotter said:

Just these

They're good then.

3 minutes ago, Booterbotter said:

I know that 550w may be enough but considering future proofing 

There's also Corsair CX650 for the same price, it's non-modular tho.

3 minutes ago, Booterbotter said:

Specially if in case in the future I'd get an RX 5700 

It's not only about wattage, for that GPU i'd recommend to go a bit higher for 550W Seasonic Focus GM, 550W are enough, it's more about better unit overall. Just make sure that it's indeed GM, not FX\FM, it should be on the box, they may try to sell older revision since they're pretty similar looking.

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to this forum (even tho I follow LTT for a long time) and I have a question for you all

I've build a PC for my GF like a 3 months ago for Studies (Word, Excel etc) and some light gaming (Sims, Diablo 3 and 4 SOON) and there is my question:

I've put a 600W Thermaltake Smart Series in it, Why is it consider in the ''D Tier'' 

11 minutes ago, SnitchMoJo said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to this forum (even tho I follow LTT for a long time) and I have a question for you all

I've build a PC for my GF like a 3 months ago for Studies (Word, Excel etc) and some light gaming (Sims, Diablo 3 and 4 SOON) and there is my question:

I've put a 600W Thermaltake Smart Series in it, Why is it consider in the ''D Tier'' 

It doesn't have OTP, IIRC

Edit: Tier C is required to have OPP, SCP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting and meet c6/c7 crossloads.

Must not have an inrush current limiter or meet the crossloads then. My bad

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

44 minutes ago, Juular said:

They're good then.

There's also Corsair CX650 for the same price, it's non-modular tho.

It's not only about wattage, for that GPU i'd recommend to go a bit higher for 550W Seasonic Focus GM, 550W are enough, it's more about better unit overall. Just make sure that it's indeed GM, not FX\FM, it should be on the box, they may try to sell older revision since they're pretty similar looking.

Thanks, I need a modular or a semi-modular.
The problem here in my country is availability which is why I went to our online store where it is available.Not to mention, I have to consider the ratings and reviews of that store. 
It's hard to buy these type of things online then have it refunded in a few days because its possibly fake.
Thank you for the feedback :)

SO in the High End you have Antec HCP Platniums and next level down you have BeQuiet Strait Power / dark power.

Right now on Newegg the Antex is cheaper than the BeQuiet so should I assume that this model is still the case?

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0018-002C7?Description=high current pro&cm_re=high_current_pro-_-9SIA25V9CX2238-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-004H-00042

Thanks

Edited by Spotty
Don't quote the entire OP

Do you think the Seasonic PRIME Snow Silent 550w is worth getting at Newegg's current price?

I've been looking for a power supply for a week now, and I'm set on either Corsair or Seasonic, but I missed all the sales.

46 minutes ago, REPO said:

SO in the High End you have Antec HCP Platniums and next level down you have BeQuiet Strait Power / dark power.

Right now on Newegg the Antex is cheaper than the BeQuiet so should I assume that this model is still the case?

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0018-002C7?Description=high current pro&cm_re=high_current_pro-_-9SIA25V9CX2238-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-004H-00042

Thanks

The Antec PSU is only sold through third party sellers both on Newegg and Amazon (cheaper on Amazon too).

The beQuiet! PSU is being sold by beQuiet! themselves on Newegg.

So it's up to you. If you trust the third party sellers, go ahead and buy it.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

4 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

The Antec PSU is only sold through third party sellers both on Newegg and Amazon (cheaper on Amazon too).

The beQuiet! PSU is being sold by beQuiet! themselves on Newegg.

So it's up to you. If you trust the third party sellers, go ahead and buy it.

You think Rosewill there own brand is worth anything.  Not that I need a 1200 PSU but its on sale at 1/2 off

37 minutes ago, REPO said:

You think Rosewill there own brand is worth anything.  Not that I need a 1200 PSU but its on sale at 1/2 off

Both 1200w PSUs that I see by them are Tier B, which is okay, but not ideal. Honestly would rather get a 650w-750w Corsair RM (2019) or 650w EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ for around the same price. Or even for $20 more for the 850w version of the RM.

MAIN PC:

SECONDARY PC:

7 hours ago, REPO said:

People, please, make your own threads for PSU recommendations ... But if you're here already, what are your PC specs ? CPU, GPU ? If it's just for gaming then get Corsair RM650x for 611Dh.

@LukeSavenije Any info on G.Skill Ripjaws Gold\Platinum PSUs ? I can't see any info on what they're based on, there's speculations that it's either Seasonic or CWT and it's probably good either way but still.

Edit: and EVGA PQ.

Just now, Juular said:

@LukeSavenije Any info on G.Skill Ripjaws Gold\Platinum PSUs ? I can't see any info on what they're based on, these's speculations that it's either Seasonic or CWT and it's probably good either way but still.

from what i know they are cwt, likely a combination of PUO and CSH P on the platinum side, and CSH G on the Gold

but there's 0 info otherwise

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

from what i know they are cwt, likely a combination of PUO and CSH P on the platinum side, and CSH G on the Gold

but there's 0 info otherwise

Yeah, it's like they're themselves not really sure if they want to make PSUs, zero coverage in press, no review samples were given apparently.

What about EVGA PQ ?

1 minute ago, Juular said:

What about EVGA PQ ?

fsp, but that's all i've seen so far... haven't really done as deep of a dive into it though

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

fsp, but that's all i've seen so far... haven't really done as deep of a dive into it though

Aurum PT ?

Just now, Juular said:

Aurum PT ?

possible, but nothing i can confirm

evga's lineup is confusing lol