[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

the rmx has in-cable caps, while the rm doesn't

Which are pain in the ass to build with honestly.

45 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Not sure if you guys have seen this but it looks like EVGA is releasing another PSU: the EVGA GA series. Glancing over the specs, I really can't see a major difference between this and the recently released G5 series.

But it doesn't have whatever the color that fan grille is, that's hella major difference.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

But it doesn't have whatever the color that fan grille is, that's hella major difference.

and could be a different design internally all together, even if evga has recently done a lot with FSP

How can NOX URANO TX and VTX be on Tier C? Tier D at best, since Nox is lying about the plataform used.

Plus, how can NOX Hummer GD be Tier B+? The same as Revolutuon XT II? Just because they use the same CWT plataform (GPS), doesnt make them equal. NOX is riddle with cheap capacitors and only has 2Y warranty. Not that much recommedable IMHO.

I am surprised to see such crappy units on this list as there isnt a single proper review about them. Its makes no sense.

@LukeSavenije

31 minutes ago, SVMS said:

with cheap capacitors

a psu isn't just a box of capacitors. 

it might be deserving of one lower tier because of issues other than this, but just because they're using something like elite caps doesn't mean it's automatically garbage

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, SVMS said:

Plus, how can NOX Hummer GD be Tier B+? The same as Revolutuon XT II?

because on current methodology it falls nothing short of each other?

2 hours ago, SVMS said:

NOX is riddle with cheap capacitors and only has 2Y warranty

since when does warranty matter in a quality list? 

and i see caps far from important compared to things like protections

22 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

because it's as far as i'm aware a seasonic FX based unit, without enough modification to solve the problem

i've emailed asus about this, but they never answered, and seasonic themselves can't confirm nor deny what focus it's based off. hence it's position, until proven otherwise

What are the problems exactly? As far as ASUS say, they have increased the heatsink considerably, and have upgraded some premium components(lower RDs?)

https://www.asus.com/Power-Supply-Unit/ROG-STRIX-750G/ 

3 minutes ago, RandW said:

What are the problems exactly? As far as ASUS say, they have increased the heatsink considerably, and have upgraded some premium components(lower RDs?)

heatsink has nothing to do with it here, and except if asus (or someone else with evidence) reaches out proving me wrong or that it's based off gx, the position won't change. 

the problem is with the strix, since it came out after revision 2 of focus fx, that it shows heavy ripple at 120% overload, as pceva reports 268 mv on it

On 11/13/2019 at 11:33 PM, LukeSavenije said:

it is, and you're almost correct

it's a MODIFIED fx, with a dedicated ocp rail, which didn't have the ocp issues, which meant it didn't have to be upped, so no reports of it rippling either

Funny thing is, that every review mentions that NZXT E PSU-s are overpriced, but where I live the E500 costs under 50€, E650 is about 80€ and E850 100€.

Cheapest full modular 80+ Gold PSU-s here.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

heatsink has nothing to do with it here, and except if asus (or someone else with evidence) reaches out proving me wrong or that it's based off gx, the position won't change. 

the problem is with the strix, since it came out after revision 2 of focus fx, that it shows heavy ripple at 120% overload, as pceva reports 268 mv on it

Do you mind sharing your result on 268 mv ripple? because I searched online @ cybrnetics, they did testing for this unit, and at 110% the ripple is roughly 31.4 mv, however i could not find any testing results on 120%

cybenetics_ROG STRIX 750.pdf

20 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

I know they're in the same Tier, but what are the differences? Curious because I might be looking to buy one (650w) in the new year.

The RM (2019) is a downgrade from the RMx (2018)... in fact even the TXM (2017) can be considered a better quality unit apart from the slightly louder operation and semi-modularity.

Jon briefly mentioned it here:

image.png

So if you have the alternative prefer the RMx (2018) always, it still is widely available... not a matter of "whichever is cheaper" at all here [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, RandW said:

Do you mind sharing your result on 268 mv ripple? because I searched online @ cybrnetics, they did testing for this unit, and at 110% the ripple is roughly 31.4 mv, however i could not find any testing results on 120%

There's numerous reports from users even on this forum alone about issues with old Seasonic FX even with modified cables (i'm here for about a month maybe and have seen two already, one in this same thread i think), and Seasonic themselves confirmed it.

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

because on current methodology it falls nothing short of each other?

since when does warranty matter in a quality list? 

and i see caps far from important compared to things like protections

Based on? Which review?

There is nothing to prove that power supplies coming from NOX can be trusted. 

But there is plenty to prove otherwise.

Here is the retail TX 850W you are listing at tier C

JKrtos8.jpg

And here is the TX 850W they sent to "review" at el chapuzas:

XIKMyQe.jpg

Spot the differences? Well, thats NOX.

More on that here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14872-New-Nox-Urano-VX-80-Plus-Bronze/page4&highlight=nox+urano

There is nothing to recommend or state about NOX units, than a big warning sign "STAY AWAY".

I am appalled to even see those units listed here, since NOX is a pretty small and crappy company that seels most to Spain and Portugal.

5 minutes ago, SVMS said:

There is nothing to prove that power supplies coming from NOX can be trusted.

But there's Shrek figurine !

6 minutes ago, SVMS said:

Spot the differences? Well, thats NOX.

We were already aware of it when we tiered it.

There is nothing to recommend or state about NOX units, than a big warning sign "STAY AWAY".

Bait and switch is hardly anything new on the industry, we're aware of it and we dislike it just as much as you do nonetheless the purpose of the tier list is to rank the units, not the company practices.

I am appalled to even see those units listed here, since NOX is a pretty small and crappy company that seels most to Spain and Portugal.

Ideally we want to cover as many brands as possible that have meaningful participation on the market regardless where they are focused on, this is an international forum and we've Spanish and Portuguese users as well.

Thank you for your feedback, your addition to the thread will certainly help people reconsider NOX however the tiers are following the criteria as is, we're always revising and updating it though so entries are always subjected to change.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

So you're implying that both revisions pictured stand for the same tier ?

Just now, Juular said:

So you're implying that both revisions pictured stand for the same tier ?

We took the "de facto" unit sold to the end consumer, which appears to be the stripped down Shrek surprise platform shown above.

There were more instances revealing the unit received by El Chupazas never even made it to the stores from other videos that opened it up and cross-referenced the platforms.

Personal Desktop":

22 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Bait and switch is hardly anything new on the industry, we're aware of it and we dislike it just as much as you do nonetheless the purpose of the tier list is to rank the units, not the company practices.

Ideally we want to cover as many brands as possible that have meaningful participation on the market regardless where they are focused on, this is an international forum and we've Spanish and Portuguese users as well.

Thank you for your feedback, your addition to the thread will certainly help people reconsider NOX however the tiers are following the criteria as is, we're always revising and updating it though so entries are always subjected to change.

How can you place those TX units at Tier C, when you know the brand is lying about the platform used? The retail versions are probably using GPM, which is caped at 500W. The exact same one they are using on VX. There isnt a single TX or VX sold with less than 650W.

Plus, are you sure that buying that 850W unit isnt going to be dangerous for someone who actually tries to use a system with those kind of power needs?

Because believe me, there will be someone who will. 

Those units are Tier D at best. Potentially dangerous for sure.

Plus, you cannot confirm that any protections you are seeing stated on NOX products, are actually functional. There isnt a single proper review ever made about a NOX power supply.

You cannot tier them as "recommended", if you dont know what its really inside them. As simple as that.

22 minutes ago, SVMS said:

Plus, are you sure that buying that 850W unit isnt going to be dangerous for someone who actually tries to use a system with those kind of power needs?

then I'm questioning what you're doing with a tier c in the first place

10 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

The RM (2019) is a downgrade from the RMx (2018)... in fact even the TXM (2017) can be considered a better quality unit apart from the slightly louder operation and semi-modularity.

Jon briefly mentioned it here:

image.png

So if you have the alternative prefer the RMx (2018) always, it still is widely available... not a matter of "whichever is cheaper" at all here [:

Went with a 2019 RMx...Corsair has 20% off right now on almost everything with code CYBER19.

10 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

pceva is the only one who showed it going that far

http://www.pceva.com.cn/article/3911-2.html

Thanks for the info, but here's the thing, the PSU is designed @ 750W, but when you overload it to 900W+ (120%~) it goes over spec, and you call it a flaw, isn't that a little harsh?

2 minutes ago, RandW said:

Thanks for the info, but here's the thing, the PSU is designed @ 750W, but when you overload it to 900W+ (120%~) it goes over spec, and you call it a flaw, isn't that a little harsh?

it is, but going about double of a 20 year old specification (the ripple part of atx spec hasn't changed in a long time to my awareness), is in my eyes concerning enough to at the very least note

i think that a psu should be able to handle it's full range without any problems, and i don't care if that's 100%, 120% or 200%

3 minutes ago, RandW said:

Ideally, a PSU should just safely shut down before it runs out of spec.

:)

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

then I'm questioning what you're doing with a tier c in the first place

Same goes for Hummer GD. 

You just dont know whats inside. You cannot expect Nox specs to be true. 

8 hours ago, SVMS said:

Plus, you cannot confirm that any protections you are seeing stated on NOX products, are actually functional. There isnt a single proper review ever made about a NOX power supply.

You cannot tier them as "recommended", if you dont know what its really inside them. As simple as that.