[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

2 hours ago, joser1813 said:

Hi. I'm confused. The EVGA W1 listed as Tier D has an ok review according to the source provided. Well, at least looking at the score, I'd think is not that bad. Why is it in the Tier D?

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:
2 hours ago, joser1813 said:

Why is it in the Tier D?

because JG's scoring is kind of weird

it fails crossloads, has no undervoltage protection

those being the two main factors for it's placement

@LukeSavenije OK, for help I checked, and the 500w and 430w W1 PSUs do support c6/c7 power states and have UVP

https://eu.evga.com/articles/00722/academy.asp

https://www.evga.com/products/pdf/100-W1-0500-KR.pdf

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

30 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, it's pretty much in the order of price, txm<rmx<rmi

i'd personally prefer rmi at this wattage, as you can configure it to multirail

Thank you! Will pick the rmi 

4 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

and the 500w and 430w W1 PSUs do support c6/c7 power states and have UVP

See, even though it supports C6\C7 power states it doesn't mean it will pass crossloads tests associated with them. Now in that review you've linked it performs at 2.75-2.86% off ideal voltage at 12V rail, that's nothing catastrophic (i may be wrong here, i'm no expert) and it meets ATX spec voltage tolerances but i guess that people making this tier list have their own standards for stuff like that. I would glad to see how they're defined exactly in the tier list itself, any word, @LukeSavenije ?

4 hours ago, Slazyel said:

Corsair RM1000I - $170

Corsair RM1000X - $150

Corsair TX750M gold - $112

Seems quite high for any of them if you ask me ... Any other stuff available there ? be quiet!, Thermaltake, EVGA, Cooler Master, FSP, Super Flower ? And what's your PC specs to start with ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Where is the EVGA BR? I am considering purchasing one for a family member for Christmas.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

5 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Where is the EVGA BR? I am considering purchasing one for a family member for Christmas.

It was in tier D in previous tier list version, probably okay for very budget PC without dedicated GPU, but looking at US prices there's at least Corsair CX and EVGA GD for the same price or lower.

8 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

from a quick look it would fall around tier c-b

dcdc, but only a 30c rating and a bit questionable otp

1 minute ago, Juular said:

EVGA GD for the same price or lower.

just keep in mind with that one that the x50 models are better than the x00 models

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

It was in tier D in previous tier list version, probably okay for very budget PC without dedicated GPU, but looking at US prices there's at least Corsair CX and EVGA GD for the same price or lower.

While that relative does live in the US, at the moment I am aiming for the 450 watt model as my budget is rather tight at the moment (I am aiming for about ~$40 USD)_ The person I intend to give this to has a I5 2400 and a 1060 3GB in their build.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

from a quick look it would fall around tier c-b

dcdc, but only a 30c rating and a bit questionable otp

That (hopefully) should be good enough. Better than the 8 year old 200 to 240 Watt Optiplex PSU that they have been trying to run it off of.

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

That (hopefully) should be good enough. Better than the 8 year old 200 to 240 Watt Optiplex PSU that they have been trying to run it off of.

yeah, just keep an eye on units like the cx as well, sometimes they get too close in price to justify a better unit

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, just keep an eye on units like the cx as well, sometimes they get too close in price to justify a better unit

Fair enough I will keep that in mind.

5 minutes ago, antoine112 said:

Hi guys, currently building a new mono-gpu rig and it turns out i need to change my PSU... !

550W seems like a bit low for that GPU so i'd choose Bitfenix Formula 650W for 78 EUR if you're okay with it being non-modular.

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

550W seems like a bit low for that GPU so i'd choose Bitfenix Formula 650W for 78 EUR if you're okay with it being non-modular.

It's not, my i9 9900 + 2080 Ti runs flawlessly on a Straight Power 11 550W and on full synthetic load it doesn't really reach 500w so he'd be fine even overclocking the 9700K

That said, giving a look at pricing and having in mind the Foruma and RMx are comparable, that's pretty much 100W for free if you don't mind modularity, but if he does want the RMx because of it there's no particular issue here.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Quick Question - how come that the Seasonic units are only listed as Rank A?

I'd have expected at least the Prime units to be A+ ranked (or better). Jonnyguru has consistently rated them very highly, and he tends to know what he's doing.

Unless it's the not market-leading fan and fan controller holding them back, in which case there's no excuse for the fanless at minimum.

53 minutes ago, steamrick said:

Jonnyguru has consistently rated them very highly

jon hasn't been reviewing for years now...

53 minutes ago, steamrick said:

how come that the Seasonic units are only listed as Rank A?

them not liking multirail, while we have a methodology that requires multirail for tier a and higher

4 hours ago, steamrick said:

Quick Question - how come that the Seasonic units are only listed as Rank A?

I'd have expected at least the Prime units to be A+ ranked (or better). Jonnyguru has consistently rated them very highly, and he tends to know what he's doing.

Unless it's the not market-leading fan and fan controller holding them back, in which case there's no excuse for the fanless at minimum.

it's mostly oklahoma and tazz for a bit there now. last review by jonnyguru was a couple years ago, i believe a be quiet unit.

it's the multi rail allergy they have, as mentioned above

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

21 hours ago, Juular said:

See, even though it supports C6\C7 power states it doesn't mean it will pass crossloads tests associated with them. Now in that review you've linked it performs at 2.75-2.86% off ideal voltage at 12V rail, that's nothing catastrophic (i may be wrong here, i'm no expert) and it meets ATX spec voltage tolerances but i guess that people making this tier list have their own standards for stuff like that.

Yes, it is based off of opinion as the OP did state in the beginning and the list should not be taken as the only say on how good something is. Doing some research can do good for the buyer and multiple sources should be used.

I can now say, in my opinion  the Evga W1 PSUs are a GOOD PSU for the PRICE if you are on a tight budget.

Also reviews on Amazon suck.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

3 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

I can now say, in my opinion  the Evga W1 PSUs are a GOOD PSU for the PRICE if you are on a tight budget.

For maybe 30$ yeah, kinda. For 45$ you could get Corsair CX (with -20$ rebate but still).

6 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

the Evga W1 PSUs are a GOOD PSU for the PRICE if you are on a tight budget.

GOOD PSU can be only a unit ranked B+ and above, B ones are also decent, if you are on a tight budget get lower capacity SSD or something, don't cheap out on PSU and get your motherboards VRM section and graphics card ruined by high ripple, I'm running Pure Power 11 400W on RX570, right now this PSU in my country costs 50% of RX570 price, you must know what to cheap on and what not when building a PC

On 10/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, LukeSavenije said:

Tier D - Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations

Damn the Seasonic M12ii is Tier E? 
Here in my place the rating for it in Lazada(The Amazon/Newegg) in my country it has a rating of 4.8/5     54 5stars  4 4stars  2 1star
Meanwhile the S12ii has 4.9/5    57 5stars 3 4stars  1 1star
Why is that? I'm curious.  

13 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

Damn the Seasonic M12ii is Tier E?

Because marketplace ratings mean nothing, especially with products so complex and hard to evaluate as PSUs.

That's very old group regulated design, which means that it's not a good choice for any modern PC, it may and will get you problems with even moderately powerful build. And in most places you can get some at least tier B PSU for the same price.

11 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

Why is that? I'm curious.  

To keep it simple, it's a very old PSU with very outdated topology by today standards. The market is overflood with better alternatives at the same price point.

Amazon/Newegg reviews are meaningless since average joe consumers does not really cover the specifics of the hardware, they just go like "Oh it turned on! 5/5" When obviously there's a whole lot more to it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Tier D - Potentially dangerous

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Thermaltake London - Toughpower - Smart 80+

Is the Thermaltake Smart M considered part of this listing for Tier D?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HTLypg  It might appear they just tack-on the M to mean it's semi-modular?

1 hour ago, antoine112 said:

I need modular, should i go with the RM650x then ?

You're in France right ? There's Bitfenix Whisper M 550W (modular version) for 89 EUR and Corsair RM 2019 650W for 95$ on Amazon.fr. @Princess Luna are probably right that 550W should be enough for your build so go for Bitfenix Whisper M. Be sure to test it in GPU stress tests excessively to make sure it'll work good with your GPU.