[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

I'm trying to decide on the right PSU for the following build:

Ryzen 5900x + RTX 3080 build

x570 strix-E mobo

AIO 360 cooler

32 GB 3600 Mhz RAM

Two M.2 SSDs

Lian Li case with 6 RGB fans (3 for case + 3 for AIO)

Plan on overclocking

I've narrowed it down to the following 2:

CORSAIR RMx White Series RM850x White (CP-9020188-NA) 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-white-series-rm850x-white-cp-9020188-na-850w/p/N82E16817139247?Item=N82E16817139247

OR

Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-ssr-1000fx-1000w/p/N82E16817151210

From my research 850w should be sufficient, but I don't want to be running the thing near max power at all times if that's gonna cause too much noise. Multiple wattage calculators show the system needing ~650W, except for the calculator on Seasonic's website, that says I need 1000W.

Also, there's a 2021 Corsair RMX out; the black version is available on Newegg, is it significantly better than 2018? I prefer the white one.

22 minutes ago, WindsoftheNorth said:

I'm trying to decide on the right PSU for the following build:

Ryzen 5900x + RTX 3080 build

x570 strix-E mobo

AIO 360 cooler

32 GB 3600 Mhz RAM

Two M.2 SSDs

Lian Li case with 6 RGB fans (3 for case + 3 for AIO)

Plan on overclocking

I've narrowed it down to the following 2:

CORSAIR RMx White Series RM850x White (CP-9020188-NA) 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-white-series-rm850x-white-cp-9020188-na-850w/p/N82E16817139247?Item=N82E16817139247

OR

Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-ssr-1000fx-1000w/p/N82E16817151210

From my research 850w should be sufficient, but I don't want to be running the thing near max power at all times if that's gonna cause too much noise. Multiple wattage calculators show the system needing ~650W, except for the calculator on Seasonic's website, that says I need 1000W.

Also, there's a 2021 Corsair RMX out; the black version is available on Newegg, is it significantly better than 2018? I prefer the white one.

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

I need some help for my build. I'm thinking about to buy

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/iCUE-4000X-RGB-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011204-WW

this and inside comes with Corsair CX750F.

Corsair CX750F RGB is a Tier B on that list. My question is what's actual diff between This psu and Tier A others?

Is it really worth to buy XPG Core reactor 750w separately? Thanks.

I have 

Intel 11700K 5GHZ

Corsair h110i

Asus Z590 Plus Mobo

RTX 3080

1 M2 SSD

2 HDD

On 6/14/2021 at 12:08 AM, Juular said:

Depends on your PC, it's a budget unit from Andyson, okay for something budget. It's there because there are no reviews on it.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Egz said:

I need some help for my build. I'm thinking about to buy

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/iCUE-4000X-RGB-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011204-WW

this and inside comes with Corsair CX750F.

Corsair CX750F RGB is a Tier B on that list. My question is what's actual diff between This psu and Tier A others?

Is it really worth to buy XPG Core reactor 750w separately? Thanks.

I have 

Intel 11700K 5GHZ

Corsair h110i

Asus Z590 Plus Mobo

RTX 3080

1 M2 SSD

2 HDD

I'd like to refer to the post right above you from Jonnyguru

Looks like MWE V2 is fixed.

According to the Cybenetics report(750W), the main switchers are better than before, but the secondary caps are reduced. Except for the 850W, the noise is significantly reduced, but the ripple is also worse (still meets the requirements).

@crmarisAre you planning to test the new Cooler Master PSUs?

2 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Looks like MWE V2 is fixed.

Huh, what was wrong with it ? I see that the non-fixed revision of it had lower rated FETs than V1 version, now they're the same as V1 (in fixed revision).

1 hour ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Lian Li SP750 review

Yeah, Helly it looks like.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

"protoss" probably thinks mwe v2 bronze but he links gold and i have never seen crmaris post in this thread

2 hours ago, electropical said:

@Juular Why is the CM V Gold V2 under "low priority - minor issues or lack of info" ?

It's scheduled to move to normal priority in the evergrowing list of changes for the next revision ... I probably should push it to release this week.

1 hour ago, grmaster said:

i have never seen crmaris post in this thread

Yeah, he's hella busy guy. If anything there's higher chance of getting an answer from him by asking Luke to ask him through Discord.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, Juular said:

Huh, what was wrong with it ? I see that the non-fixed revision of it had lower rated FETs than V1 version, now they're the same as V1 (in fixed revision).

So then the fixed is non-fixed?

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So then the fixed is non-fixed?

No, FETs in CM MWE Gold (v1) are the same as in CM MWE Gold V2 Fixed. CM MWE Gold V2 (non-fixed) had lower rating FETs, not sure what there was to fix in the first place tho.

Actually, i was probably comparing different wattage versions lol, FETs are the same, it's the boost diode which they switched from whatever GH3D08065I is to On Semi RHRP1560, so it probably has something related to low input voltage operating conditions.

RM or RMx?

RM, no.  It already had the PWM IC that supported burst and the supervisor IC that supported the timings required to support modern standby mode.  We had to do some updates to meet IEC 62368.  It was supposed to be simple, rolling change, but someone decided that if it was going through a dev cycle, update the ID to Corsair's current IDL.

11 hours ago, Juular said:

Actually, i was probably comparing different wattage versions lol, FETs are the same, it's the boost diode which they switched from whatever GH3D08065I is to On Semi RHRP1560, so it probably has something related to low input voltage operating conditions.

Looking at FCPOWERUP's review, it's 650W, but it seems they use the same main switcher for all W's, so the first sample might have been the Jilin Sino. The second is the 9.7A GreatPower. The third change is the 13A GreatPower.

If this is true, they changed the main switcher a whopping 3 times. LOL!

2020082519323761.png

iMarkup_20210701_020728.jpg

iMarkup_20210701_020753.jpg

15 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Looking at FCPOWERUP's review, it's 650W, but it seems they use the same main switcher for all W's, so the first sample might have been the Jilin Sino. The second is the 9.7A GreatPower. The third change is the 13A GreatPower.

MWE Gold V1 for comparison

iMarkup_20210701_022515.jpg

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

RM or RMx?

RM, no.  It already had the PWM IC that supported burst and the supervisor IC that supported the timings required to support modern standby mode.  We had to do some updates to meet IEC 62368.  It was supposed to be simple, rolling change, but someone decided that if it was going through a dev cycle, update the ID to Corsair's current IDL.

RM, since that came out like... days ago

but thanks for confirming my suspicion

2 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

If this is true, they changed the main switcher a whopping 3 times. LOL!

I sympathize.  Availability is terrible right now.

For example:  I can't get Champion MOSFETs right now.  I'm doing second source analysis for HX to use Fairchild and CX to use ST because of it.

Japanese caps are the same.  Especially Chemi-Con since they had to close down their Malaysia factory due to a COVID outbreak.  Flextronics changed all their server PSUs to Jianghai and CapXon.  I can easily switch AX1600i to Jianghi, but they don't make every caps size/value needed and there's no way I can justify to end users why their $500 PSU has CapXon caps in it... so it looks like another shortage on AX1600i's.  We just got done qualifying a second source for gate driver ICs due to a shortage just last month!

Just as an FYI:  I've tested both the EVGA GT and GA.  GT is "not bad".  It's Gold, has about 5% voltage regulation.  Not as good as RM, but passable.  The GA.... is just terrible.  LOL!  Failed efficiency and load regulation tests.  It sure looks pretty, though.  😄

EDIT:  I will say that I ran the tests at both room temperature and 50°C and it didn't blow up.  So there's that.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Failed load regulation tests.

What kind of ? Crossloads ? Max combined ? Transient response ?

10 hours ago, Juular said:

What kind of ? Crossloads ? Max combined ? Transient response ?

Low to high voltage drop. 

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Low to high voltage drop. 

Low to high ... load ? So transient response ? A little bit more descriptive please.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

Low to high ... load ? So transient response ? A little bit more descriptive please.

Transient response is transient response.  Voltage regulation is voltage regulation.

So you've never read any of my reviews back in the day?  That kills me.