[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Just now, beast said:

It is not based on leadex platform tho. This psu tier list is laughable, I have given the mods examples and reviews, evidence and they still don't respond with facts, truly is a psu tier list made by amaterus and should not be taken in consideration.

okay, then i have some simple counters, and you can check them yourself with that

they connected the otp to the fan controller, making it useless when it breaks

it can't even do a wide voltage range

this is an internal shot of it111.thumb.jpg.765670d404674b610af5690c5578db5f.jpg

and those cable caps look surprisingly loose

long life "silent" fan sounds at this price like a well lubed sleeve

and does this look familiar to it? this is an evga b3missing-image.png.e02b27905ac4c31325951fbe8bd8a7f5.png

to sum up the conversation we had internally about it a while ago

now, if you can stop with trying to offend me, we could talk

35 minutes ago, beast said:

tier list made by amaterus and should not be taken in consideration

- Even if this unit are indeed stands for the same tier as Leadex Gold, it's market presence is very low, and i pretty sure that everywhere you can find it you'll be able to find other good tier A units for the same price or cheaper.

- You're free to make concrete contributions into positioning of any PSUs in that list. Not just vague 'this silver unit looks exactly like gold one except for different caps'. You have methodology, you're trying to sound 'not-amateur', exclaim your point professionally if you feel that you can contribute.

- You're free to make your own tier list if you don't want to contribute to this one without insulting everyone.

- You're free not to use this tier list, even if it's made by amateurs it's still a huge help to those who know about PSUs nothing at all. It explains what to expect from modern PSUs, that buying group regulated PSU for modern PC ain't okay, that some supposedly high-end \ expensive \ premium units don't stand for their price. All assumptions are fact-based, there are sources, go check them and do your own judging, don't blindly trust anyone, but again, newbies can't do that for obvious reasons, the only advice you'll find on usual 'help me to chose a psu' is 'buy Seasonic\EVGA\whatever brand, they're good', there's no such thing as brand loyalty in PSUs (or any other product), you can't just get a random PSU from some well known brand and expect it to be good no matter what.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a 5700XT and I was wondering if I need a new PSU, and if I do, would you recommend a Seasonic Core 650W Gold unit? My current PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 500W Bronze one.

Thanks in advance!

My current rig:
Asrock Fatal1ty B450 K4

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (stock cooler)

ASUS Dual RX480 4GB OC (gonna be a 5700XT)

16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4

Thermaltake TR2 500W Bronze (subject to change)

2 minutes ago, CoolAndEasy said:

buy a 5700XT

unrelated thing, that specific card gets super hot on memory

I'd change away from tr2, but the reviews for core gold are very limited, the only thing I've seen so far are internal shots, and those look like a downgraded focus

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

unrelated thing, that specific card gets super hot on memory

I only mentioned because of wattage, everywhere I check they say 600W or 700W, but as far as I know a good 500 or 550W should be enough for most single GPU systems... But I might be wrong. I just don't want to screw it up.

2 minutes ago, CoolAndEasy said:

but as far as I know a good 500 or 550W should be enough for most single GPU systems

for most, yeah

on that side it's all good

amd themselves overestimate the wattage for reasons

Focus Gold is only a slight step ahead of Core Gold (approx. 10€), should I stick to the Focus Gold then?

6 minutes ago, CoolAndEasy said:

Focus Gold is only a slight step ahead of Core Gold (approx. 10€), should I stick to the Focus Gold then?

which one? focus fx/fm (focus (plus) have some problems

focus gm and gx I can't say for sure yet

any options outside of seasonic?

I'm not totally sure, based on the website I'm browsing it's https://seasonic.com/focus-gold this one. I can't find the answer on Seasonic's website either.

My alternatives are quite wide, in this price range (25-30k HUF, approx 75-90€) I have:

Seasonic Core Gold 650W, Focus 650W Gold, SSP-650RT

EVGA SuperNove 650 G+, SuperNova 550 G3

Corsair TX550M, 650M, 750M, RM750.

There are more above, none below, as I wanna go at least 80+Silver and 550W+. I'm willing to go about 100€ max, I know it's not a good idea going cheap on PSUs but I used to have 30€ category, so triple price should mean something... Right?

I'm not sure if they are the 2019 versions, but there are ones like  "RM750x (2018)" behind name, so I guess they should be 2019 versions. Also, there are 850, 750 and 650s

7 minutes ago, CoolAndEasy said:

I'm not sure if they are the 2019 versions, but there are ones like  "RM750x (2018)" behind name, so I guess they should be 2019 versions. Also, there are 850, 750 and 650s

550 would be fine, but that's the 2018 rmx, which is what i was looking for

I'd go for that out of those, in your case 650w then

There's RM550x, literally for the same price as a RM650x, and all with x and 10€ more than those without. But there's no RM550 without x. Should I go with the 2018 ones? Sorry I'm confused.

7 minutes ago, CoolAndEasy said:

There's RM550x, literally for the same price as a RM650x, and all with x and 10€ more than those without. But there's no RM550 without x. Should I go with the 2018 ones? Sorry I'm confused.

if the rm550x is the same price as the rm650x and you pay 10 bucks more for the 2018 x versions, go with that

rm is decent, but i'd say rmx edges out over it

27 minutes ago, CoolAndEasy said:

I'm not totally sure, based on the website I'm browsing it's https://seasonic.com/focus-gold this one. I can't find the answer on Seasonic's website either.

My alternatives are quite wide, in this price range (25-30k HUF, approx 75-90€) I have:

Seasonic Core Gold 650W, Focus 650W Gold, SSP-650RT

EVGA SuperNove 650 G+, SuperNova 550 G3

Corsair TX550M, 650M, 750M, RM750.

There are more above, none below, as I wanna go at least 80+Silver and 550W+. I'm willing to go about 100€ max, I know it's not a good idea going cheap on PSUs but I used to have 30€ category, so triple price should mean something... Right?

Have You checked alza with coupons?  In PH!  "Melyik tapegyseget vegyem? " thread, you'll find help how to use the vouchers for best savings. 

Few days ago i saw Corsair Rm650x for 34k JMF, but with coupons i believe You are able to save 4500-7000 from the price with free shipping. And Corsair, Seasonic PSUs come with their full warranty period on alza. 

Id even consider Whisper M for 29.5k. Seven years manufacturers warranty, though only three thru retailer 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 minute ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Have You checked alza with coupons?  In PH!  "Melyik tapegyseget vegyem? " thread, you'll find help how to use the vouchers for best savings. 

Few days ago i saw Corsair Rm650x for 34k JMF, but with coupons i believe You are able to save 4500-7000 from the price with free shipping. And Corsair, Seasonic PSUs come with their full warranty period on alza. 

Id even consider Whisper M for 29.5k. Seven years manufacturers warranty, though only three thru retailer 

How did you know I'm shopping at Alza? :D 

15 minutes ago, CoolAndEasy said:

How did you know I'm shopping at Alza? :D 

BC literally everyone else does that in the last few weeks. Thousands of comments are about how to save a lot with ping-pong balls, bike bells, mason 'hand tools or other cheap stuff. 

I would need a mATX case and a new mikrowave though. And was toying with the idea of a new PSU, for my parents rig (evga bt450 or FSP hexa85+).

No dGPU, only IGP of the Ryzen2200g, no Hard drives, just two SSDs. So any of those would suffice for them 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

2 hours ago, CoolAndEasy said:

Hello!

Yeah, this GPU is even worse than reference one and there's a lot of other bad designs (pretty much everything from MSI and XFX too), if you're gonna get RX5700 (XT) then only consider Powercolor *-Devil, ASUS Strix, MSI Gaming X and Sapphire Pulse (maybe ASRock Challenger & Gigabyte x3 also if they're way cheaper than those), otherwise go for nVidia.

12 minutes ago, Juular said:

etty much everything from MSI

i'm not going to derail further after this, but look into gaming x

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i'm not going to derail further after this, but look into gaming x

My bad, Gaming X is good, yeah.

Hi. I'm confused. The EVGA W1 listed as Tier D has an ok review according to the source provided. Well, at least looking at the score, I'd think is not that bad. Why is it in the Tier D?
image.png.adca0ec62f80dffc5bb00905e2abc565.png

1 minute ago, joser1813 said:

Why is it in the Tier D?

because JG's scoring is kind of weird

it fails crossloads, has no undervoltage protection

those being the two main factors for it's placement

10 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:
11 hours ago, Juular said:

It's group regulated so it can't meet C6\C7 crossloads.

well... most don't

it's more the UVP

@MadAnt250 what is your potato like?

I thought Haswell CPUs had to have a PSU that supported C6/C7 power states.

image.thumb.png.1e38bd96eed26d9c8f9b0ff3f61ba8e4.png

My potato was the cheapest new acer aspire TC 780 that MicroCenter had in stock, over time I have done some upgrades to it so it can perform really well in games and it does at high detail but, now in 2019 my setup with a 7th gen i5 and a GTX 970 is considered to others as a potato because it is not a "GAMING" PC with a big price tag and rainbow Unicorn vomit,lol. Specs are below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400

Motherboard: Acer TC-780A(KBL)

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) of DDR4@2400MHz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 reference card

Storage: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, 2TB WD My Passport

PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+white

Display(s): ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD, Gateway VX920 CRT, Gateway VX900 CRT

Cooling: Grill with filter installed onto the front panel for air intake cooling and 2 recycled 92mm fans for intake and exhaust.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Guys, there's happening a sale where i live and i need to know which psu to buy from these below, can you help me?

Corsair RM1000I - $170

Corsair RM1000X - $150

Corsair TX750M gold - $112

I know they may be overpowered, but where i live everything is overpriced, and these are the ones that are on sale now. Money and performance wise, which one would be the best? I'm still buying the parts for my pc. 

3 minutes ago, Slazyel said:

i need to know which psu to buy from these below

well, it's pretty much in the order of price, txm<rmx<rmi

i'd personally prefer rmi at this wattage, as you can configure it to multirail