[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

8 minutes ago, grmaster said:

does mwe v2 bronze has ocp on the minor rails?

Unknown but it's assumed that it has since there's OCP on DC-DC PWM controllers.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 3/25/2021 at 10:23 AM, Juular said:

Can't really find any reviews of it though.

Right. How about from the product photos? Does its topology/components ring any bells/alarms? I see in its specs the fan has a fluid dynamic bearing, which I recall is considered a plus here.  
Super Flower Power Supplies

1 hour ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Right. How about from the product photos? Does its topology/components ring any bells/alarms? I see in its specs the fan has a fluid dynamic bearing, which I recall is considered a plus here.  

That's quite interesting. The fan is probably made by Globe Fan, as usual, so it probably uses real Fluid Dynamic Bearing. Those gold solid capacitors look like FPCAP ones, like on the Leadex III, followed by Nippon Chemi-Con's electrolytic capacitors and the hold-up capacitor looks like a Nichicon one (GG / 400V / 560µF).

Those flat wire inductors are incredibly beautiful and seem to explain a lot about the smaller size of the new units. I believe they have managed to significantly reduce the emission of electromagnetic noise compared to the Leadex III. I could even notice that there is no relay for inrush protection.

And by the heatsink on the secondary side, maybe it uses passive rectification (which is strange, considering that the model should be efficient). It could also mean that they used cheaper MOSFETs, with a larger package.

9 hours ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Yeah, it resembles their old Golden King / Green so maybe it's just a refresh with some minor changes (added OTP at the very least), but it's hard to say if it's really any good without reviews. In any case LLC resonant with OTP and FDB fan is tier A low priority (without reviews).

2 hours ago, doubleflower said:

@LukeSavenije Seems like version 14.7 of the Tier List has been completed, so any idea when will the Tier List be updated to 14.7? 

just now

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Signature-ST1000-Certified-PhaseWave/dp/B0895CR5X8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=antec+signature&qid=1616951645&sr=8-3

Is that the one listed in gold in the A Tier under single-rail?  If so, that would mean this is an excellent PSU, yes?

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

7 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Signature-ST1000-Certified-PhaseWave/dp/B0895CR5X8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=antec+signature&qid=1616951645&sr=8-3

Is that the one listed in gold in the A Tier under single-rail?  If so, that would mean this is an excellent PSU, yes?

Yes it is, but I'm not a fan of Seasonic Prime and its derivatives. It has a mid range fan (Hong Hua FDB) which isn't as good as other high-end fans, hence it is not very quiet (at least for what it is supposed to be). Its voltage regulation is also not very good, it might be excellent if you count its peak to peak voltage values, but not when you count the deviation from nominal. There are usually better options for the price, such as the HX1000 for example. Also, it lacks multi rail OCP which is something that 1000W PSUs should have, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

Yet another Seasonic Prime Titanium rebrand.

9 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Yes it is, but I'm not a fan of Seasonic Prime and its derivatives. It has a mid range fan (Hong Hua FDB) which isn't as good as other high-end fans, hence it is not very quiet (at least for what it is supposed to be). Its voltage regulation is also not very good, it might be excellent if you count its peak to peak voltage values, but not when you count the deviation from nominal. There are usually better options for the price, such as the HX1000 for example. Also, it lacks multi rail OCP which is something that 1000W PSUs should have, in my opinion.

What about the RM1000x?  That’s the one I can actually get from a reputable retailer, as the HX1000 is sold out everywhere.

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

Is there much difference between HX and HXi? Like are they both Multi rail switchable still? Same with the other corsair PSU's with RMi and RM, etc.AX and AXi.

55 minutes ago, Calabask said:

Is there much difference between HX and HXi? Like are they both Multi rail switchable still? Same with the other corsair PSU's with RMi and RM, etc.AX and AXi.

HX --> HXi is digital functionality. RMi and RM are completely different (different platform) . AX and AXi are also different (different platform and potentially different OEM).

45 minutes ago, Calabask said:

The HXi allows you to disable multi rail OCP in software, with iCue, while the HX has a physical switch on the PSU

The RMi has multi rail OCP, which you can disable in iCue, while the RM and RMx both lack it. The RMi also uses a good FDB fan, while the RMx uses a good rifle bearing fan, and the RM uses a worse Hong Hua rifle bearing fan. The RMi and RM1000x also use a different platform than the lower wattage RMx and RM. Both are good, but the RMi (except for the RM650i) and RM1000x are longer, at 18cm vs 16cm.

The AX is a modified Seasonic Prime, so it completely lacks multi rail OCP and uses a Hong Hua fan. The AX1600i (the only PSU that's not discontinued in the AXi line) is completely different.

You can find the other Corsair PSUs here: http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

while the RMx uses a good rifle bearing fan, and the RM uses a worse Hong Hua rifle bearing fan

IIRC RM-x one is Hong Hua too but with somewhat better driver IC.

21 hours ago, Juular said:

IIRC RM-x one is Hong Hua too but with somewhat better driver IC.

Correct.  Other than the bearing, it's the same fan as the AX's fan.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Correct.  Other than the bearing, it's the same fan as the AX's fan.

All of Corsair's NR fans are made by Hong Hua?

I thought it was the RM's fan (HA1425M12F-Z) that's a Hong Hua fan with a custom driver IC, not the fan inside the RMx (Corsair NR135L)... 🤔

32 minutes ago, electropical said:

I thought it was the RM's fan (HA1425M12F-Z) that's a Hong Hua fan with a custom driver IC, not the fan inside the RMx (Corsair NR135L)... 🤔

I remember reading on JonnyGuru's forum (before it went out of service) that the NR092L, NR120L and NR135L were manufactured by Hong Hua and that a certain forum member's criticism about Hong Hua's manufacturing quality was not exactly very valid.

I imagine that this is due to Hong Hua not being a manufacturer so well recognized by the public and be associated with a drop in quality of Sea Sonic projects. This is understandable, after all even their website is sufferable. It was also inaccessible, before JonnyGuru complained that their site was slow and broken. Despite that, they have the ability to make good products, which depends a lot on what the consumer asks for, for example, a better driver integrated circuit, a better bearing, a better blade design and other stuff.

41 minutes ago, electropical said:

All of Corsair's PSU fans except for in the Bronze units are made by Hong Hua.

45 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Now it all makes sense...
For the longest time, I was certain of having read you say somewhere that the fan inside the TX-M Gold was a Hong Hua fan, only to shockingly find out (in Aris' teardown) that the sticker says Corsair NR120L !

Thank you for the clarification !

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is the fan on the AX 1000 Titanium and other Seasonic Prime derivatives comparable in performance (and free of problems) to the NR135L? I have heard issues on Hong Hua branded fans (on Seasonic prime derivatives) that it has to spin at higher temperatures to mantain the same temperatures (compared to the NR135L) and has low RPM motor noise, which I've never heard on NR135L. Can you please enlighten me on this? 

review of RMx 2021 is out since today

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-rmx-series-850-w-2021/

tldr:

- similar base to RMx 2018

- different controller (to meet low load efficiency)

- different fan (custom HongHua -> Custom Sunon)

- new housing design

- really weird cable choices

- low load effciency is better, average is worse

should be added with next revision

Quick correction (since I've just finished researching that PSU line):  MSI | MPG A-GF is multi-rail, same design as Enermax Revolution D.F.