[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

10 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Nobody tested them, so it's unknown.

Truth be told the older Capstone series currently on the list shouldn't be in any tier at all, because nobody tested its protections.

from the side, it looks like an andyson GX. The layout on the modular connectors also looks almost identical.

Screenshot_56.png

(pic not actually made by me)

review on the GX600:

https://www.f14lab.com/2018/05/review-andyson-gx600-600w.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

33 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

from the side, it looks like an andyson GX. The layout on the modular connectors also looks almost identical.

Screenshot_56.png

(pic not actually made by me)

review on the GX600:

https://www.f14lab.com/2018/05/review-andyson-gx600-600w.html

Original Capstone was a Superflower design I believe.  The capstone G was Enhance and the modern Capstone is indeed Andyson.  That was my pic from jonnyguru I believe.  I have had the Capstone 750M for a while and it's been fine.  Probably not A tier but B.

Ryzen 5800X | 7800XT | 32GB 3600MHz Ripjaws | Superflower Leadex III 750w

2 minutes ago, Jayjr1105 said:

Original Capstone was a Superflower design I believe.  The capstone G was Enhance and the modern Capstone is indeed Andyson.  That was my pic from jonnyguru I believe.  I have had the Capstone 750M for a while and it's been fine.  Probably not A tier but B.

yeah, it's yours. Was looking around and saw your post so i put it in.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I am curious if the current Rosewill Capstone M series holds up to the older one. If not, what is the next best PSU for ~$50?

16 minutes ago, ringmaster555 said:

If not, what is the next best PSU for ~$50?

Assuming US prices since you didn't provide a country:  probs the Corsair CX

If you just need a quick follow-up reply after listing a different country, that's fine, but if you want lots of detail for your situation and want to do an ongoing discussion about a good PSU for you to buy, that's where you should make your own thread please (no hijackerino this one for non-tier list discussions, ty).

11 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

I don't see the older Super Flower units on sale anywhere, link?

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-capstone-series-capstone-650-continuous-650w-50-degree-c/p/N82E16817182071

I thought there's more but it's actually a mixup from PCPP side. They have pictures (label with Rosewell in italic and modular-connectors sticking out) and model names (with dash) for older units while links for most entries are for newer units (model names without dash and there's star on the label besides Rosewill logo). I'll contact them so they'll fix this.

5 hours ago, ringmaster555 said:

I am curious if the current Rosewill Capstone M series holds up to the older one. If not, what is the next best PSU for ~$50?

5 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

probs the Corsair CX

Depends on your GPU, if it's Navi\Vega from AMD or some power-hungry stuff from nVidia like RTX2080 Super\Ti, GTX970 Ti\980 then i'd say Tier A 80+ Gold units are minimum, Corsair TXm\RM(x) and Bitfenix Whisper\Formula Gold are generally the cheapest ones (about 70-90$), also Superflower Leadex II\III, Sama Armor Gold, EVGA G2 and Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Gold for other countries. For anything else, yes, 550+W units like Corsair CX and CM MWE Gold (or be quiet! Pure Power and EVGA G+\GQ if you can find them for better price) will be a good choice.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

16 hours ago, ringmaster555 said:

It's just as good as the Capstone G which was Enhance OEM if not better.  Probably not as good as the Superflower Capstone.

I'm using it with a 3600 and a Vega56 overclocked and undervolted.  No issues here.

Ryzen 5800X | 7800XT | 32GB 3600MHz Ripjaws | Superflower Leadex III 750w

One small question, Will you recommend Enermax MaxTytan 800w, 80 Plus Titanium

Is there a reason it's not mentioned in the tier list?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) | GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX 5700 XT | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

5 minutes ago, Detective said:

One small question, Will you recommend Enermax MaxTytan 800w, 80 Plus Titanium

Is there a reason it's not mentioned in the tier list?

hm... interesting

i'll likely do a deeper dive in it soon-ish, but don't expect it any higher than tier a, as i've seen it's single rail already from a quick look

Is the Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Gold link an error? It takes me to the Toughpower Grand RGB, identical to the B-tier unit.

I also can't seem to find "Toughpower Grand Gold" online, only a "Toughpower Gold"

55 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Is the Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Gold link an error? It takes me to the Toughpower Grand RGB, identical to the B-tier unit.

I also can't seem to find "Toughpower Grand Gold" online, only a "Toughpower Gold"

It's Thermaltake PS-TD. Nope ... Maybe it's just Toughpower Grand with Gold certification ? As there's also Bronze and Platinum versions.

Hey so i wanna build a pc with 1660 super and ryzen 5 2600 anyone know if xilence performance a+ series would be a good idea

and if not does anyone know any other psus that are from europe because they are cheaper here than evga, corsair, and the other brands

3 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Who is the manufacturer for EVGA G3, G1, and G1+?

g3 is superflower (close to the leadex iii, but that came out later)

G1 was FSP (mostly aurum, with the 1000 being a custom design according to orion)

G1+ is also FSP (i recall it being a modified Aurum as well, but i don't have direct source on that)

On 11/13/2019 at 7:00 PM, MEC-777 said:

Something from Tier A or higher and 550w would be more than plenty.

Personally, I'd go with the RM550 for that system.

I live in CIS, so there is not much choice, the most fitting for your suggestion was MWE 550 Gold fully modular or EVGA 600 Bronze, I went for the MWE. For you to understand the market I am currently in, there are mostly KCAS, Cougar VXT and Huntkey PSUs (95% of PSUs), the one MWE gold I found was in single unit all over the market as well as EVGA one. 

I hope it will be enough.

2 hours ago, Foorya said:

I live in CIS

I'm curious where exactly from ? I'm from Central Asia (Uzbekistan) and just ended up ordering a PSU from US with the help of mail forwarding service (and 95% of my other PC parts), it's cheaper than any reasonably good PSU i can find here even with shipping cost, everything else is that Aerocool & Huntkey trash and some Tier C\D Cooler Masters.

2 hours ago, Foorya said:

I live in CIS, so there is not much choice, the most fitting for your suggestion was MWE 550 Gold fully modular or EVGA 600 Bronze, I went for the MWE. For you to understand the market I am currently in, there are mostly KCAS, Cougar VXT and Huntkey PSUs (95% of PSUs), the one MWE gold I found was in single unit all over the market as well as EVGA one. 

I hope it will be enough.

Should be totally fine with that. Considering your options, that's the best choice, IMO.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

14 hours ago, Juular said:

I'm curious where exactly from ? I'm from Central Asia (Uzbekistan) and just ended up ordering a PSU from US with the help of mail forwarding service (and 95% of my other PC parts), it's cheaper than any reasonably good PSU i can find here even with shipping cost, everything else is that Aerocool & Huntkey trash and some Tier C\D Cooler Masters.

I live in Uzbekistan as well, I ordered almost all parts of my upcomming build from Amazon/Newegg (gpu, cpu, ram, storage, mb). The only things that left were PSU and Case (cause they are the heaviest parts). Paying extra 40$ for 550-600 tier A PSU was not fitting into my budet. Anyway, it looks like I am good to go with this one.

so about the corsair CX 2017, how do i checked its the 2017 version?

1 minute ago, manchild said:

so about the corsair CX 2017, how do i checked its the 2017 version?

If the label on the side is grey, it's 2017. Also, wattages of 450W, 550W and 650W will be 2017.

:)

So is thermaltake toughpower grand rgb, gold certified, tier A or tier B? both leads to the same link 

22 minutes ago, shaneyyyyy said:

So is thermaltake toughpower grand rgb, gold certified, tier A or tier B? both leads to the same link 

something i need to fix soon... will be fixed by next revision

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

If the label on the side is grey, it's 2017. Also, wattages of 450W, 550W and 650W will be 2017.

ty

for the VS one, does the same grey side apply too? e.g. i see an orange VS here https://www.umart.com.au/Corsair-450W-VS-Series-VS450-Power-Supply---80-PLUS-White-Certification_22907G.html, its different from the grey one right?