[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hello, I am a user of an NZXT Hale90 750w, at the time it had high scores in the analysis and it seems tier c in the list.

4 minutes ago, cosita88 said:

nzxt hale90 tier C? It is a very good power supply, highly valued in the analysis of renowned websites.

It doesn't fit the requirements for it to be in a higher tier, so in C it will stay.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

3 minutes ago, Elisis said:

It doesn't fit the requirements for it to be in a higher tier, so in C it will stay.

I am looking for a replacement for this old power supply, for a ryzen 5800x and a 3080 / 6800xt.

Which should i get, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 (Non RGB) 850w or Fractal Design ION+ Platinum 860P?

3 hours ago, ryuixyui said:

Which should i get, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 (Non RGB) 850w or Fractal Design ION+ Platinum 860P?

Both are LLc and DC-DC.

both have 10 year warranty if i am right. 

I would go for Ion+ since it is 80+plat vs 80+gold, assuming that they are the same price ofc.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

I don't understand the list... Is there some spreadsheet version with cells and more parametrers?..

I'm located in Ukraine and I'd like a PSU that would be able to handle low up to midrange tier of components(maximum is something like Ryzen 3600, and --60/Ti/S tier GPU) for a long time — somewhat 500-550 W, don't need modular but with good protections because even my 220W from pre-built system is often turning itself off because of big loads on electricity...

I've checked every PSU in 40$-50$ range in local e-shops, which are actually not that bad and had 60+ models for my criterias(500/550W, 40-50$), but none of them were in a B tier of list... When I started googling all PSUs from B list were really premium in terms of being modular or really-really "high-Watted" for 750W+, or having a platinum tier efficiency... But I'm looking just for protections, especially for the system I'm planning on having for now(low amd cpu, 3050). Can you recommend something protected for my range ?..

4 minutes ago, imTheSupremeOne said:

I don't understand the list... Is there some spreadsheet version with cells and more parametrers?..

I'm located in Ukraine and I'd like a PSU that would be able to handle low up to midrange tier of components(maximum is something like Ryzen 3600, and --60/Ti/S tier GPU) for a long time — somewhat 500-550 W, don't need modular but with good protections because even my 220W from pre-built system is often turning itself off because of big loads on electricity...

I've checked every PSU in 40$-50$ range in local e-shops, which are actually not that bad and had 60+ models for my criterias(500/550W, 40-50$), but none of them were in a B tier of list... When I started googling all PSUs from B list were really premium in terms of being modular or really-really "high-Watted" for 750W+, or having a platinum tier efficiency... But I'm looking just for protections, especially for the system I'm planning on having for now(low amd cpu, 3050). Can you recommend something protected for my range ?..

there's a spreadsheet linked in the first page of this topic, here is the link

5 minutes ago, cowffee said:

there's a spreadsheet linked in the first page of this topic, here is the link

Jeeez, tnx, it's so much better❤️ I've even had to write a python script to check what brands are mentioned because we have to much local PSU grey companies on market, and I didn't wanted to ctrl-f everyone on list manually ^^;

image.png.b49f25d2ade1bcf7b003c78e234a9f7e.png

5 hours ago, imTheSupremeOne said:

There is but it's largely incomplete when it comes to tiering of PSUs, it's main purpose is to list sources and other additional information.

5 hours ago, imTheSupremeOne said:

I've checked every PSU in 40$-50$ range in local e-shops, which are actually not that bad and had 60+ models for my criterias(500/550W, 40-50$), but none of them were in a B tier of list...

In this price range Vinga VPS-G is the only choice, yes, it's tier C because i'm not sure if it has OTP and Vinga support doesn't help but your budget is rather low to care about these things.

4 hours ago, imTheSupremeOne said:

No kill like overkill !

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

@Juular @LukeSavenije @Elisis Not here to complain, just asking : why is it that the list isn't updated more frequently?

I suppose that behind the scenes you guys debate the changes and vote, but shouldn't the most critical updates be applied immediately? (e.g. moving a PSU from tier A to lower tiers, changing its color, ...).

My guess is that once a unit makes a tier, many people assume it's good enough for their needs and proceed to buy it without asking for more details.

Anyway, I understand that a lot of work goes into making this tier list, so kudos to everyone involved in this 👍

i would appreciate it if anyone that's more knowledgable than me on PSUs can give a basic rating on the Coolermaster V SFX Gold series - I linked the 3 reviews i found on the spreadsheet on the previous page (page 147) :) thanks!

1 hour ago, electropical said:

@Juular @LukeSavenije @Elisis Not here to complain, just asking : why is it that the list isn't updated more frequently?

partially my fault, because I don't update the list as often as others push updates to the sheet, but it's also because a lot of the work has already been done to it, so we don't need to do the almost daily updated we had at first

Aerocool project 7 750W - listed as Tier 1, but failed to power Nvidia 2080Ti + Ryzen 3600 XT. Experienced PC shut down in demanding games. Changing to 450W PSU from established brand solved my problems.

10 hours ago, imTheSupremeOne said:

You should go for UPS, no PSU would protect you from heavy deviations of input power. I managed to power Ryzen 3600XT and 2080Ti Oc from 450W Corsair VS, but I had no choice cause my platinum 750W 110 Euro PSU does not work properly and don't plan to keep it long like this. With your target system you should go for 550W and UPS. Aim for the shop where you can actually return PSU if it does not work.

29 minutes ago, Dominga said:

Aerocool project 7 750W - listed as Tier 1, but failed to power Nvidia 2080Ti + Ryzen 3600 XT.

Failures happen, that's what warranty is for.

7 minutes ago, 45HardBall said:

so whats the cheapest psu that can reliably handle 10700k and gtx 1080ti with mild oc long term?

Make your own thread with all the info provided.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Failures happen, that's what warranty is for.

Not really a full "failure" - PSU turns on and powers the system. I can even run GPU burner fine, but in real games where load is spiky - I experience PC shutdown.

38 minutes ago, Dominga said:

but in real games where load is spiky - I experience PC shutdown.

Yeah, that shouldn't happen, this is failed unit, especially considering that this build runs fine on Corsair VS.

Is the Gigabyte AP-GM in the list different from the GP-P-GM here?

No Aorus in the title so I assume it's different but wanted to be sure. I got the 850 one in a bundle with the 3080 and was wondering if it was safe to use, but haven't been able to find any reviews for it

1 hour ago, badumtsh said:

Is the Gigabyte AP-GM in the list different from the GP-P-GM here?

No Aorus in the title so I assume it's different but wanted to be sure. I got the 850 one in a bundle with the 3080 and was wondering if it was safe to use, but haven't been able to find any reviews for it

Yes, they're different but probably very close, looks like the same OEM and perhaps even very similar platform.

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yes, they're different but probably very close, looks like the same OEM and perhaps even very similar platform.

So it's probably safe then? That's great, thanks. Didn't want to go through returning if didn't need to.

On 11/19/2020 at 1:51 PM, badumtsh said:

So it's probably safe then? That's great, thanks. Didn't want to go through returning if didn't need to.

I've got one as well from Newegg's 3080 bundle, so I'm curious to see if anyone has more info about them - I have a 850W Seasonic unit already but wanted to resell since I also can't be bothered with returning, and I can't sell someone a brick in good conscience.

4 hours ago, celi131 said:

so I'm curious to see if anyone has more info about them

Absolutely no reviews yet. But there are Cybenetics report for 750W model so hopefully we'll see a review from Aris soon.