[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Just now, Juular said:

Judging by the pieces of internals they show on their site :

Compact SFX-L PT - tier B low prio.

Compact SFX GD - tier C low prio.

Compact SFX Bronze - tier D

alright, thank you for the info :D

Are there any noticeable differences between MWE Gold non modular, full modular and v2 full modular?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Are there any noticeable differences between MWE Gold non modular, full modular and v2 full modular?

V2 may be completely different, we haven't seen it's internals yet IIRC. MWE Gold V2 non-mod. and FM are basically different only in modularity, full modular version may have less ripple but that's not it's selling point anyway.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

20 minutes ago, Juular said:

V2 may be completely different, we haven't seen it's internals yet IIRC. MWE Gold V2 non-mod. and FM are basically different only in modularity, full modular version may have less ripple but that's not it's selling point anyway.

So v1 is better? The difference is only modularity in v1?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

20 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

So v1 is better? The difference is only modularity in v1?

In the absence of any information about V2, especially it's performance, yes, V1 is better.

4 minutes ago, SirCheese3 said:

eteknix reviewed the mwe gold v2, interpret the data however you wish

Well, and there's FCPowerup too. Okay, at a first glance it looks like just a slight modification of MWE Gold V1 and the performance looks okay so far. I'd personally also wait for Aris but if it's cheaper than V1 then go for it, sure.

21 minutes ago, Juular said:

In the absence of any information about V2, especially it's performance, yes, V1 is better.

no performance difference between non modular and modular in v1?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, genexis_x said:

no performance difference between non modular and modular in v1?

too minor to care, they're the same platform, just with a modular board as difference

40 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

too minor to care, they're the same platform, just with a modular board as difference

Ah thanks for clarifying. Asking because the price difference is quite big between the non modular and the modular one

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 10/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Tier B • Recommended for midrange systems
• EVGA | G5

Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
• EVGA | G5 1000w <2020

Just looking for some clarification on this listing. Does it mean only G5 1000w units released before 2020 are not recommended for systems with GPUs? Asking this since I have a G5 650w that I won in 2019 and want to make sure that I can use it for system with a GPU.

24 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Just looking for some clarification on this listing. Does it mean only G5 1000w units released before 2020 are not recommended for systems with GPUs? Asking this since I have a G5 650w that I won in 2019 and want to make sure that I can use it for system with a GPU.

Yes, Aris had a reiview of 1000W G5 with out of spec ripple, it were silently replaced with another review with different data in early 2020, so either he retested, i.e previous data were erroneous or there were some problems with early samples that were fixed. 650W model should be fine anyway.

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yes, Aris had a reiview of 1000W G5 with out of spec ripple, it were silently replaced with another review with different data in early 2020, so either he retested, i.e previous data were erroneous or there were some problems with early samples that were fixed. 650W model should be fine anyway.

Well that's interesting that Aris didn't disclose anything. Either way, thank you for the reassurance. 

What makes the Superflower Golden Greens in tiers A (Rosewill Capstone-, Lightning), B, and C (Kingwin Lazer Gold, EVGA B2) meaningfully different?

1 hour ago, Nimrodor said:

What makes the Superflower Golden Greens in tiers A (Rosewill Capstone-, Lightning), B, and C (Kingwin Lazer Gold, EVGA B2) meaningfully different?

Probably an error, they all should be in tier C due to lack of OTP, will be fixed in the next revision.

Tried looking but didn't see, sorry if I missed it in the over 147 pages, but regarding the "Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 (ARGB)" does this also include the "Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 Series 850W 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular Power Supply?"

Also I know this is more of a personal opinion question but assume the aforementioned are the same would the TT Toughpower GF1 or the Corsair RMx Series RM850x 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Aratemplar said:

Tried looking but didn't see, sorry if I missed it in the over 147 pages, but regarding the "Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 (ARGB)" does this also include the "Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 Series 850W 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular Power Supply?"

Yes, read that as GF1 and GF1 ARGB.

3 minutes ago, Aratemplar said:

Also I know this is more of a personal opinion question but assume the aforementioned are the same would the TT Toughpower GF1 or the Corsair RMx Series RM850x 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply?

Depends on the price, i'd pay maybe 10$ more for RM-x, otherwise go for TT.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Yes, read that as GF1 and GF1 ARGB.

Depends on the price, i'd pay maybe 10$ more for RM-x, otherwise go for TT.

Thanks! Just wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger and finding out after they weren't. I think the RM850X is actually only $2 more. Again really appreciate the response!

Hi!

I'm torn between the BitFenix Whisper M 750W and Super Flower Leadex III 750W, they are close in price where I live (Europe) and both seem like solid choices.

Other than price differences is there any reason to consider one over the other? If so, I would love to know. (I saw reviews for both, but I'm no expert, so maybe I missed something obvious).

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Zhonix said:

I'm torn between the BitFenix Whisper M 750W and Super Flower Leadex III 750W, they are close in price where I live (Europe) and both seem like solid choices.

Yeah, it's a draw but i'd pick Bitfenix probably, i assume they should have better customer support in Europe.

28 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yeah, it's a draw but i'd pick Bitfenix probably, i assume they should have better customer support in Europe.

Good point, you are probably right, I'll go with the Bitfenix then.

Many thanks for the help!

would the leadex iii bronze be in a-tier, or is it just not on the list?

certified moron

3 hours ago, SirCheese3 said:

It is a DC-DC unit with LLC resonant which is good (if i can read the spreadsheet right). But seems like most of the info is missing. Probably little to no reviews of that particular psu. But you can always ask @Juular

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

3 hours ago, SirCheese3 said:

Looks like a Bronze rated version of Leadex III Gold judging by internals, LLC+DC-DC, FDB fan, all protections ... But i'd like to see some reviews first before placing it in the tier A, so it would be tier B low priority.