[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

So I noticed the EVGA Supernova G3 bounced between tiers again. What brought it back up to Tier A level (It was D before IIRC)?

Here is a known working PSU list for the RTX 3080 and  RTX 3090 from the EVGA Forum for reference.

Bequiet Dark Power Pro 1000
Bequiet Dark Power Pro 1200

CM MWE 750W Gold

Corsair AX 1200
Corsair AX 1000
Corsair AX 850
Corsair HXI 1000
Corsair HXI 850
Corsair HX 850
Corsair RMI 850
Corsair RMI 1000
Corsair RMX 750
Corsair RMX 850

EVGA T2 1600
EVGA T2 1000
EVGA G2 1600
EVGA G2 1300
EVGA G2 1000
EVAG G2 850
EVGA P2 1000
EVGA P2 1200
EVGA G3 750
EVGA G3 1000

FSP Aurum Pro 850W

Phanteks Revolt X 1200
Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000

Seasonic Focus Plus PX Plat
Seaonic Focus Platinum 850W
Seasonic Focus Plus FX Gold 850
Seasonic Focus GX 1000
Seasonic Prime Ultra Ti 750W (750TR)
Seasonic Prime Ultra Ti 850
Seasonic Prime Ultra Pl 1000
Seasonic Prime TX 1000
Seasonic XM 1250

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Yeah ok so running the 3080 FE at stock causes my PC to turn off on Red dead but undervolting eliminates it. Time to RMA this old boy he has done me well.

Hi,

Can someone clarify the Thermaltake Toughpower GF1? I see it it listed in tier A, but it says (ARGB) after it. Does that mean only the ARGB version is in tier A? Or is the non-ARGB in tier A as well?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, BadRat said:

Hi,

Can someone clarify the Thermaltake Toughpower GF1? I see it it listed in tier A, but it says (ARGB) after it. Does that mean only the ARGB version is in tier A? Or is the non-ARGB in tier A as well?

Thanks

both are tier A, it's just that it's shorter to write it this way to include both into the tier

Are there no reviews for any of the 2019 Seasonic PRIME line (GX, PX, TX, aka post-OneSeasonic)? I've been scouring the internet for (detailed) reviews to no avail, which is surprising given how popular Seasonic seems to be among sections of the community.

Unless I am missing something, Seasonic really should get some to Aris!

30 minutes ago, PacGlo said:

Unless I am missing something, Seasonic really should get some to Aris!

there are no (claimed) differences between the old and new Prime lines so... that might explain it

@LukeSavenije

Thanks for the response. This whole OneSeasonic thing is pretty confusing. Please let me know if I have this correct, as I just did a bit more reading...

• Seasonic PRIME and Seasonic FOCUS lines both existed.
  • (Via this thread, August 2019) In 2018, the Seasonic FOCUS line got a quiet refresh in 2018 due to the issues mentioned within. [Side note- the thread references "the new Focus GM, GX, PX and SGX lines (it meets 2.52 atx, which require hardware changes)" which was somewhat ambiguous to me at first, i.e. do all of the new Focus PSUs meet ATX v2.52 or only the SGX? I am 99% sure now that the answer is "only the SGX".]
  • In 2019, both FOCUS and PRIME lines received rebranding and slight refreshes. As put by a Seasonic rep referencing the OneSeasonic PRIME line in this thread on the JonnyGURU forums: "when we updated the PSU's back panel with added filters, we then removed the inline capacitors from the cable harness."
  • Notably, the refreshes were not very substantial e.g. both lines are not built to ATX v2.52 spec. This is in spite of some lingering misinformation from forums such as here (July 2019) which states that the FOCUS refresh will be ATX v2.52 compatible.

As one last point of clarification: do you know for which ATX version the current FOCUS and PRIME lines are built? I assumed it was v2.4 given that various Seasonic OEM PSUs state so, but I could not find a clear answer anywhere on Seasonic's own websites and communications, only a vague "Intel ATX 12 V."

P.S. Sorry for the bombardment of likely stupid or superfluous questions, as I've been knee-deep in PSU info trying to make a purchase decision through the shortage, and seeing conflicting and unclear info only makes it worse lol.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:00 PM, LukeSavenije said:

RM:

+ more efficient at low loads

- louder

RMx:

+ quieter

- in cable caps

That's a very small difference for a big increase in price, at least locally.  I'm already having trouble doing cable management, don't need in cable caps to make it bulkier.  I guess the RM is good enough, thanks!

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Hi,

I am a noob looking to build my first PC. I've noticed that some PSUs rank differently based on the year that they were made (or released?). What is the reasoning for this, and is there a simple way to know the year before I buy the PSU? Example: Corsair RMx 750 2015/2018 or TXM 2017.

7 hours ago, blademagic said:

What is the reasoning for this

They're different.

7 hours ago, blademagic said:

Example: Corsair RMx 750 2015/2018 or TXM 2017.

In the Corsair's case it's easy, they all have different SKU codes. But it doesn't really matter for RMx as they're both in the same tier and practically identical from the user point of view, and TX-m 2017 is Gold certified whereas older TX-m were Bronze.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Hello,
I have two questions:

Question#1:
I noticed that the TXM power supply is cheaper than a RMX power supply. Are RMX PSUs in any way better than TXM 2017 PSUs even if though they're both in the same tier list besides the fact that RMX PSUs are fully modular?

Question#2:
For Corsair's RM series, do older models have the same model, or part, number as newer models or do they have completely different model, or part, numbers? I'm asking because a certified retailer of Corsair is selling a RM850 that has the same model number as a gray label, but the picture they're displaying on the store page is that of the 2013 RM850.

1 hour ago, epiqpwnage said:

How about this? Is this in the same tier as the InWin PB series? Thanks.

I'll look into it with some people internally

8 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

Are RMX PSUs in any way better than TXM 2017 PSUs even if though they're both in the same tier list besides the fact that RMX PSUs are fully modular?

RMx is more silent and has a semi-passive fan profile instead of TXM's always spinning fan. the electrical performance on RMx is also a bit better than TXM

8 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

For Corsair's RM series, do older models have the same model, or part, number as newer models or do they have completely different model, or part, numbers?

RM 2013 goes by:

CP-9020055-(country)
CP-9020056-(country)

CP-9020066-(country)
CP-9020053-(country)
CP-9020054-(country)

CP-9020062-(country)

RM 2019 goes by:

CP-9020194-(country)
CP-9020195-(country)
CP-9020196-(country)

Edited by LukeSavenije

32 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

RMx is more silent and has a semi-passive fan profile instead of TXM's always spinning fan. the electrical performance on RMx is also a bit better than TXM

RM 2013 goes by:

CP-9020055-(country)
CP-9020056-(country)

CP-9020066-(country)
CP-9020053-(country)
CP-9020054-(country)

CP-9020062-(country)

RM 2019 goes by:

CP-9020194-(country)
CP-9020195-(country)
CP-9020196-(country)

The model number of the power supply is CP-9020196-UK. I just want to confirm, there's nothing wrong with the PSUs that have this model number, right?

2 hours ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

The model number of the power supply is CP-9020196-UK. I just want to confirm, there's nothing wrong with the PSUs that have this model number, right?

outside of some noise coming from the unit ~90w or so, not really

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

outside of some noise coming from the unit ~90w or so, not really

If you don't mind me asking, what do the RMx units have over the RM(2019) ones.

Just now, Ricardo Harrow said:

If you don't mind me asking, what do the RMx units have over the RM(2019) ones.

in-cable capacitors, a bit less noise, a bit worse 2% load efficiency and a bit upgraded internals compared to RM 2019

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

in-cable capacitors, a bit less noise, a bit worse 2% load efficiency and a bit upgraded internals compared to RM 2019

Alright, thank you for your time. My final question is a bit stupid, but I was hoping you could answer it: I noticed in the tier A Single-Rail section that you had "RM Gray" written. Is this referring to the 2019 RM power supplies such as the CP-9020196-UK?

5 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

Alright, thank you for your time. My final question is a bit stupid, but I was hoping you could answer it: I noticed in the tier A Single-Rail section that you had "RM Gray" written. Is this referring to the 2019 RM power supplies such as the CP-9020196-UK?

it is

16 hours ago, Juular said:

They're different.

In the Corsair's case it's easy, they all have different SKU codes.

Thanks for the info. Is there a site where I can find the manufacture dates of the different PSUs? For example, I tried looking on Corsair's site, but they don't mention the manufacture date on any of their SKUs.

17 hours ago, Juular said:

TX-m 2017 is Gold certified whereas older TX-m were Bronze.

Just out of curiosity, how does one come to be familiar with this kind of information? I aim to one day be the person capable of helping others with tips and knowledge, but I don't know where to start.

16 hours ago, blademagic said:

Thanks for the info. Is there a site where I can find the manufacture dates of the different PSUs? For example, I tried looking on Corsair's site, but they don't mention the manufacture date on any of their SKUs.

No.

Because you use the "SKU codes" or "part numbers".  "CP-XXXXXXX" That's what he's telling you.

Just look at all of the examples provided above.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:59 AM, HasnaiinPC said:

So I have an Evga GS 850W which is about 4.5 years old and was wondering if I should RMA/Replace it. So while I was playing Red dead redemption 2 the PC kept turning off completely after 5-10 minutes and was getting kernel 41 power errors in event viewer. I would then have to unplug the PSU before it would turn back on so this seems like some sort of protection in work right? So basically I saw in a reddit thread someone say to keep x1/afterburner open as it manages power to the GPU more consistently than windows and the crashes have gone. So does my PSU still need replacing or should I just stick with it.  CPU is 3700x and GPU is 3080 FE.

I have a 750w GA and I'm having the exact problem. Bought a c850 nzxt hopefully that will fix my issue. I bought the evga a month ago, already messaged evga about it never had problems with evga 

Is the SSR-750-PD2 an older model of the PRIME PX-750? The PD2 is $165 and the PX is $169. Are these even good deals?