[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

@AlgebruhOPP trigger point for most PSUs are about 130-140%, not 100%, it's not okay to overload the PSU at this extent. Most good PSUs still work in specs when overloaded, including RM-x, you can see all overload data in Aris reviews (ripple at 110% and voltages at just before OPP & OCP trigger points at protection tests page).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Hi guys, help me decide between TX750M (grey) and the newly launched MWE 750 Gold v2

I'm coming from a thermaltake smart se 630w Bronze unit.

specs:

8600k 4.7Ghx @ 1.3v

16gb 3000

gtx 1070 (upgrading to 30 series)

11 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

It's CWT according to the spreadsheet (CTRL+F for bq! DP P12, spreadsheet is also linked on the list for future reference)

Thanks! I did check, but I CTRL+F'd the full name, so I didn't find anything, heh. Sooo, CWT, as far as I remember, doesn't have the best track record overall, right? Or am I wrong there?

2 minutes ago, severide said:

Thanks! I did check, but I CTRL+F'd the full name, so I didn't find anything, heh. Sooo, CWT, as far as I remember, doesn't have the best track record overall, right? Or am I wrong there?

You are a little wrong. They manufacture a wide variety of PSUs, ranging from mediocre (not complete trash though) to some of the best PSUs out on the market. So really, it depends on what specific PSU you would be talking about. For the DP P12,  it's a high quality PSU looking at KitGuru's review on it, though it's still Tier A low priority since it's only a single review.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

Just now, MrBrightSyde said:

You are a little wrong. They manufacture a wide variety of PSUs, ranging from mediocre (not complete trash though) to some of the best PSUs out on the market. So really, it depends on what specific PSU you would be talking about. For the DP P12,  it's a high quality PSU looking at KitGuru's review on it, though it's still Tier A low priority since it's only a single review.

Yeah, I figured. Just like any of these manufacturers, there's a wide range. I actually just read that kitguru review right after I posted. Lots of good info there. Thanks for the help, dude! :)

My PSU is a few years old now and the model does not directly map to the Tier list so I am looking for some advice on where it stacks.  It's a Seasonic SSR-650RM 80+ Gold modular PSU.  I am hoping to be able to run it with a RTX 3080 since all the test systems show max TDP around 450w when not overclocking, and still under 550w with heavy OC.  I am still running a i7 6700k CPU @ 4.5ghz for now, but plan to upgrade to a Zen 3 8 core later this year. 

1 minute ago, Clouser said:

My PSU is a few years old now and the model does not directly map to the Tier list so I am looking for some advice on where it stacks.  It's a Seasonic SSR-650RM 80+ Gold modular PSU.  I am hoping to be able to run it with a RTX 3080 since all the test systems show max TDP around 450w when not overclocking, and still under 550w with heavy OC.  I am still running a i7 6700k CPU @ 4.5ghz for now, but plan to upgrade to a Zen 3 8 core later this year. 

No, I would get a new PSU and 750W Min...

The G is an older unit, not too bad, but still wouldn't use one today for what you are planning.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

13 minutes ago, Clouser said:

That's Seasonic G RM in tier A low priority it's there because it apparently had incompatibility problems with AMD Vega so i'd assume it wouldn't be any better with RTX3080 but you can try.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, pote2639 said:

Thanks! as I checked the model name is exactly what I mentioned

https://i.imgur.com/1NIKwol.png

I think the M-V2L has green color on the PSU right?

https://i.imgur.com/VbPmxre.png

I bought the DQ-850M and it was absolute shite

Now whenever I removed my case the computer just randomly turning itself off. And sometimes I can't even power up my computer! I had to unplug the thing and replug again. Tried multiple AC cables and it's the same.

23 minutes ago, pote2639 said:

I bought the DQ-850M and it was absolute shite

Now whenever I removed my case the computer just randomly turning itself off. And sometimes I can't even power up my computer! I had to unplug the thing and replug again. Tried multiple AC cables and it's the same.

What do you mean "whenever I removed my case"? Moved? If your PC shuts off and you have to unplug and plug it back in in order to turned it back on, that would mean a protection in the PSU is detecting a problem and cutting power off to your system. The slight movement may have cause something to short out

1 hour ago, quan289 said:

What do you mean "whenever I removed my case"? Moved? If your PC shuts off and you have to unplug and plug it back in in order to turned it back on, that would mean a protection in the PSU is detecting a problem and cutting power off to your system. The slight movement may have cause something to short out

20 minutes ago, Juular said:

@pote2639 Seat your mains cable all the way in.

never happened on my old S12II though. As "remove" I mean whenever I'm removing or putting back in my case panel the computer just randomly turning itself off. Also everytime I want to boots my machine from the long shutdown I have to unplug the AC cord on the PSU side and replugging it again before it can boot. 

Is multi-rail psu that sensitive to the electric shorts or I was using my computer without proper grounding for the whole time lol

6 minutes ago, pote2639 said:

never happened on my old S12II though.

Cables and sockets are different, some may need more force to properly seat the cable, you can't break it, force it in flush.

7 minutes ago, pote2639 said:

everytime I want to boot my machine from the long shutdown I have to unplug the AC cord and replugging it again.

Although I have hard time imagining how that might be related to AC cable not properly seated it ... Maybe you indeed have a loose or barely connected cable inside your case, reseat everything.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Cables and sockets are different, some may need more force to properly seat the cable, you can't break it, force it in flush.

Although I have hard time imagining how that might be related to AC cable not properly seated it ... Maybe you indeed have a loose or barely connected cable inside your case, reseat everything.

Okay, I'll try to reseat everything now. Will report back later, thanks for the help

On 9/28/2020 at 2:50 PM, pote2639 said:

Okay, I'll try to reseat everything now. Will report back later, thanks for the help

Did reseated everything, still the same. I tried to plugged everything back with my old S12II and it's working flawlessly. I'll just RMA it I guess, bad luck for me.

EDIT: Deepcool PSU are out of stock rn so I asked for refund and go for Corsair RM850, zero problem so far. prob my first and last experience with deepcool.

6 hours ago, Sudok said:

SilentiumPC Supremo FM2, Sharkoon Silentstorm Cool Zero, Corsair RM, Adata Core Reactor and Enermax Revolution D.F.

Well, i'd prioritize them in exact opposite order, from Enermax to SilentiumPC.

Hi SilverStone 850W 80+ GOLD Strider Gold S (SST-ST85F-GS) Tier A , C or ? Thanks.

st85f-gs-v2-side-right.jpg

3 minutes ago, targetsfire said:

Hi SilverStone 850W 80+ GOLD Strider Gold S (SST-ST85F-GS) Tier A , C or ? Thanks.

neither, tier b

Ahh shiz I use the ModXStream Pro 600W, rip me. Oh well, 7 years still going strong. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I see Seasonic S12II units here on tier D and i think thats a big mistake. 

1. The article listed as source doesn't mention the unit not having UVP

2. During the 1st mining craze me and a few of my friends all started mining on S12II Bronze, my S12II-520W unit ran at about 55C ambient at a load of 585W from the wall for at least 2 months non - stop. One of my friends had a S12II-620W and forgot to undervolt the cards resulting in a measured load of about 700W (hope i remember this correctly as its been a while since this happened) for about 1 week before he realized what just happened. -> PSUs survived!

2nd mining craze came and we all started mining again(eth this time) with the same PSUs but some bought some more FOCUS units and S12III. -> Both S12II units survived while running close to max load for months!

3. After all these years smoking in the same room with my PCs i eventually decided to open up the S12II for cleaning and found it completely brown with nicotine - took a full spray of isopropyl to clean it and guess what? I still use it on my 4th PC now (not counting the mining ones) running strong with a 3700X and a GTX 1080 Hybrid FTW (fine tuned for max OC).

Out of all the Seasonic units (Focus, S12II , S12III) between us we only had to RMA 1 S12III because of a faulty fan which might have been because of user error. Now before people say we got lucky let me say this: I've used and built PCs with a very wide range of PSUs. On top of my head id say at least 150 units from different brands. Seasonic were the most reliable and had the lowest failure rate - 1 bad fan and a DOA SH unit i got in bulk with other brands; in both cases could have been user error or incorrect storing of the units. With this in mind i'm really curious to know that is the basis behind your "Tier D" rating of S12II series? Did you just assume that being a budget PSU it had to be shite or what? 

Since i can no longer find the original jonnyguru reviews for S12II that conviced me to use SS i did find this:

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-s12ii-bronze-520-w-power-supply-review/8/ - TLDR: . "It passed with flying colors in our tests: efficiency between 82.4% and 86.5%, voltages closer to their nominal voltages than required...Plus we could pull up to 588 W from it with efficiency still at 81.7%."

@XemdeaX S12II/M12II X20W units are group regulated, they wouldn't end-up in higher tier regardless. They were put into low priority subtier because they apparently lacks UVP or it doesn't work properly/reliably, the article linked contains UVP tests for two XFX units based on this platfrom. Your experience of overpowering these PSUs doesn't have anything to do with UVP, either way, 12% overload should be okay for 2 months for non-trash level unit. Any reviews of S12II platform passing tests 'with flying color' would be obsolete because it's 10 years old unit and things changed since then, if you're still using it with GTX1080 then you're doing it wrong.

3 hours ago, Juular said:

@XemdeaX S12II/M12II X20W units are group regulated, they wouldn't end-up in higher tier regardless. They were put into low priority subtier because they apparently lacks UVP or it doesn't work properly/reliably, the article linked contains UVP tests for two XFX units based on this platfrom. Your experience of overpowering these PSUs doesn't have anything to do with UVP, either way, 12% overload should be okay for 2 months for non-trash level unit. Any reviews of S12II platform passing tests 'with flying color' would be obsolete because it's 10 years old unit and things changed since then, if you're still using it with GTX1080 then you're doing it wrong.

Thank you for the explanation, i know its group regulated but since the voltages are rock solid i don't really care. As for the UVP tests on XFX units - "platform based" doesn't mean identical plus i'm not too concerned about UVP anyway. As for it being 10 years old all i have to say is this: i'll take reliability and longevity before anything else. 

I'm not prasing SS because i personally own a unit or two - i've had a lot of BQ/Corsair (not SS based) and other top tier brands fail me or my friends/customers while SS units soldiered on. 

At the end of the day we can agree to disagree, at least i understand the reason behind the rating.