[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

@LukeSavenijehow different is the superflower leadex III and the argb leadex from the superflower leadex II?

I have a leadex II and want to ask if leadex III or argb has some improvements over leadex II. 

23 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

@LukeSavenijehow different is the superflower leadex III and the argb leadex from the superflower leadex II?

I have a leadex II and want to ask if leadex III or argb has some improvements over leadex II. 

The main difference is that it's quieter. Electrically it isn't much different.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

27 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

compare them like a EVGA G2 and a fixed version of G3, because that's what they essentially are

Leadex III is more quiet, especially since the fancurve after the semi-passive mode is less agressive on it. It performs electrically better, and simply is a newer design

the only difference between the vanilla Leadex III and the ARGB is the RGB fan used, interally it's the same for the current batches

4 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

Quieter? I can't hear the fan of my leadex gold II even with all my pc fans off.

Leadex II isn't loud mind you but isn't very quiet either. Leadex III is much quieter, with passive mode spanning for far wider load range, barely reaching the same fan RPM at full load which Leadex II starts with on 10% load.

Is upgrading the leadex II 650w for a leadex III 650w a smart move for a future build with rtx 3070 or 3080?

Just now, SuperFlower said:

Is upgrading the leadex II 650w for a leadex III 650w a smart move for a future build with rtx 3070 or 3080?

If you don't hear Leadex II then no, as electrically they're pretty much the same.

28 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

The reason is important, why are you upgrading it in the first place? It's similar internally, and the performance is very similar. The only difference is the noise and fixed OCP/OPP issues. Or do you want the bling-bling RGB? I can't argue with that.

@jonnyGURU, I have just read the TweakPC DE review and the Cybenetics certification data. Your Vengeance Silver 750 seems to have overload ripple problems. Can you confirm this?

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_vengeance_650m_750m/s02.php

ftp://members.cybenetics.report/PDF_Reports/d/cybenetics_DWi.pdf (warning, downloads a PDF)

6 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

The reason is important, why are you upgrading it in the first place? It's similar internally, and the performance is very similar. The only difference is the noise and fixed OCP/OPP issues. Or do you want the bling-bling RGB? I can't argue with that.

@jonnyGURU, I have just read the TweakPC DE review and the Cybenetics certification data. Your Vengeance Silver 750 seems to have overload ripple problems. Can you confirm this?

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_vengeance_650m_750m/s02.php

ftp://members.cybenetics.report/PDF_Reports/d/cybenetics_DWi.pdf (warning, downloads a PDF)

What does "overload ripple" mean?

You mean the ripple is higher when you push the PSU beyond what it is meant to do?  Yeah.  Most PSUs do that.  That's why you don't buy a 650W PSU for a 750W system.

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What does "overload ripple" mean?

You mean the ripple is higher when you push the PSU beyond what it is meant to do?  Yeah.  Most PSUs do that.  That's why you don't buy a 650W PSU for a 750W system.

Actually, this tier list accounts ripple at 110% overload, and many PSUs, including the 650 W Vengeance Silver does not have this behaviour. FYI I have checked almost a hundred Cybenetics/Aris_Mp reviews, most PSUs does not have this behaviour. 

14 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Actually, this tier list accounts ripple at 110% overload, and many PSUs, including the 650 W Vengeance Silver does not have this behaviour. FYI I have checked almost a hundred Cybenetics/Aris_Mp reviews, most PSUs does not have this behaviour. 

Thank you for your concern.

46 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Well.. I think we all know how I feel about the tier list.

If the PSU is overloaded to 110%, which is what the peak rating for any decent PSU is rated at, and the ripple is still withing ATX specification, I think we're ok.

Again, if you're using a 650W PSU for a 750W build, that's not the PSU manufacturer's concern.

@JuularHave few questions about these damned Focus based power supplies :D Somehow all PSUs i found that are half way decent turn out to be based on same problematic Focus platform: ASUS Rog Strix, Antec Earthwatts Pro Gold and Seasonic Core GC/GM (650w models). So here are my questions:

1. Antec PSU is marked gold in B+ tier for pre 2020 models...is it then confirmed that they don't suffer from GPU shutdown problems? Also are these models branded as "EAW" in spreadsheet document? There is also "EA" pro gold model in spreadsheet, so it is a bit confusing as the actual model name is EA650G PRO.

image.png.d97c41697129c2a6e3470863d1d3db79.png

2. As there is a high chance both ASUS and Antec are pre 2020 models, what would you advice me to buy from mentioned PSUs? Should i stick to Seasonic, or maybe try some other brand? The only options from higher tiers are FSP Hydro GE, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand /DPS G and Cooler Master MWE Gold. 

I will use RX 580 Nitro+ with Ryzen 2600 or 3600. I know it's not a problematic GPU, but if i upgrade with beefier card in the future i would not like to experience any problems...

9 minutes ago, the_hateful_one said:

problematic Focus platform: ASUS Rog Strix, Antec Earthwatts Pro Gold and Seasonic Core GC/GM (650w models).

Seasonic Core isn't exactly Focus tho but we don't have any data on it's compatibility with Vega yet.

10 minutes ago, the_hateful_one said:

Antec PSU is marked gold in B+ tier for pre 2020 models...is it then confirmed that they don't suffer from GPU shutdown problems?

It's rather that there were no accounts of such problems yet but since it's 8 months already i think it's safe to say that it's confirmed.

11 minutes ago, the_hateful_one said:

Also are these models branded as "EAW" in spreadsheet document? There is also "EA" pro gold model in spreadsheet, so it is a bit confusing as the actual model name is EA650G PRO.

We'll address this in the next revision, yes, it's supposed to be the same thing, Antec Earthwatts Gold (EAG) Pro.

12 minutes ago, the_hateful_one said:

As there is a high chance both ASUS and Antec are pre 2020 models

Depends, you can try to ask a retailed for manufacturing date of the unit.

15 minutes ago, the_hateful_one said:

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand

This might be interesting, which model exactly ?

15 minutes ago, Juular said:

Depends, you can try to ask a retailed for manufacturing date of the unit.

I will check of course.

I think i fell good enough buying Antec, even the pre 2020 version as i also could not find 1 bad thing about it...reviews are also solid so i think it's a good choice.

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

This might be interesting, which model exactly ?

https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-grand-rgb-650w-gold-full-modular.html

Btw ty for great answers, you are awesome 😁 👍

32 minutes ago, the_hateful_one said:

I will check of course.

I think i fell good enough buying Antec, even the pre 2020 version as i also could not find 1 bad thing about it...reviews are also solid so i think it's a good choice.

https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-grand-rgb-650w-gold-full-modular.html

Btw ty for great answers, you are awesome 😁 👍

It's an OCP configuration issue that is too sensitive to abnormally high current peaks. I think it should be easy to fix, if there's no news on Antec 99% chance it's fixed on the Antec. I am not sure why Seasonic couldn't get this right, it doesn't seem to be complicated either.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well.. I think we all know how I feel about the tier list.

If the PSU is overloaded to 110%, which is what the peak rating for any decent PSU is rated at, and the ripple is still withing ATX specification, I think we're ok.

Again, if you're using a 650W PSU for a 750W build, that's not the PSU manufacturer's concern.

I know, this list is garbage... But here's the deal, Cybenetics loaded the 3V rail at 9A and 5VSB rail at 2.5A to get it out of ATX specs. I know no sane mind would load a 3.3 or 5VSB rail that much, but it's still within the rated capacity written on the label, maybe you should look into this issue? Because I have not seen this in other modern Corsair PSUs, not even the grey VSes.

9 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

I know, this list is garbage... But here's the deal, Cybenetics loaded the 3V rail at 9A and 5VSB rail at 2.5A to get it out of ATX specs. I know no sane mind would load a 3.3 or 5VSB rail that much, but it's still within the rated capacity written on the label, maybe you should look into this issue? Because I have not seen this in other modern Corsair PSUs, not even the grey VSes.

Yep.

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yep.

Actually, Corsair sent two samples on Cyben. The second sample fared much better, so that's a relief. Did HEC forgot to put a capacitor on a batch or something?

12 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

Actually, Corsair sent two samples on Cyben. The second sample fared much better, so that's a relief. Did HEC forgot to put a capacitor on a batch or something?

Power supplies are more than boxes filled with capacitors.

So, no.

EDIT:  Looks like we increased the PFC bus voltage and the magnetic inductance of the LLC.

We send these samples to Aris before MP.  I really wish he wouldn't publish "sample 1", "sample 2", etc. like he does.  If we get anything but a perfect report from him, we fix problems and try again.  No end user is going to see "sample 1" when there is also a "sample 2", etc. So it's pointless for him to publish those reports.

Hi,

Sorry if I seem super silly here. Is the PRO SKU of the Super Flower Leadex III ARGB basically the same as the non PRO SKU? (Tier A)

Apologies in advance if I'm asking a dumb question.

5 minutes ago, ZeroStressLevel said:

Sorry if I seem super silly here. Is the PRO SKU of the Super Flower Leadex III ARGB basically the same as the non PRO SKU? (Tier A)

Just looks like black version of it to me.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, LukeSavenije said:

Last Update: 30-05-2020

Tier B+ • Recommended for midrange systems

Cooler Master | MWE Gold / White/Bronze V2 x50w Full-Range Input - Reactor Gold - V Gold 2018 <=650W

Corsair | CX GrayCSM Gold - TXM 2017 (Gold)

Segotep | GP-G 500/600/700 - GP-P <=700w - GP-T <=700w - KL - ZP500P-SG

am I seeing this right? Is this the segotep unit in the list??

spacer.png

Currently using cx450m and was about to upgrade since i've upgraded my GPU. My choices were either cx650 or CM 550 MWE Gold which is similarly price in my country.

with the segotep being in the same tier as these 2 and gold color as well and its USD20 cheaper..just wow

39 minutes ago, hercus said:

am I seeing this right? Is this the segotep unit in the list??

Yes, it's what Enermax Platimax DF <=600W inside (Fortech which is parent company of Segotep is OEM for Enermax). It's in tier B+ just because we don't know what fan bearing it uses (well, entire Segotep product stack in fact), if it would be confirmed that it's not a plain sleeve bearing it would be moved to tier A.