[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If you really need a >500W PSU, you should be looking at about a 2080 Ti? In which case, you should have no trouble spending well over $100 on a PSU.

I couldn't find reviews of the B5, so as with any other PSU, it's crap until proven otherwise.

I have a GTX 670 FTW 4GB and the manual says it needs 500W minimum w/ 30A on the +12V rail, it also needs 2 pci-e 6pin power "dongles" and I think the Corsair CX450 I mistakenly ordered before I read my GPU manual only has 1.

Maybe EVGA is overestimating what the card needs (it came out when they were pushing the 3D vision stuff so the power req. might be made with that in mind but I can't say for sure) but like I said I still need 2 pci-e 6pin heads 

17 minutes ago, olimmai said:

I have a GTX 670 FTW 4GB and the manual says it needs 500W minimum w/ 30A on the +12V rail,

30A is 360W, that's about right estimation for total power draw of average system with this GPU under 100% load on both CPU and GPU. But it would be way less in gaming. The reason why they still say that you need 500W PSU even though they also say you need 360W on 12V rail is because there are PSUs that despite say 400W rating - can't deliver full power on 12V rail, mostly group regulated ancient designs which you unfortunately still can buy today (look at tier C&D). If you get a modern PSU with DC-DC secondary topology it would be able to deliver ~95% of it's rated power on 12V rail.

Now about EVGA B5, we don't have any information about it yet but the assumption based on pictures we have yet that it's based on HEC TPK platform or it's derivative which is used in quite good Cougar GX-F PSU but, again, since it's mosty likely modified platform we can't really say how it would perform, but i'd place it in tier B+ temporarily based on info we have yet.

6 hours ago, Akshaykr said:

Kratos P1-750G for CAD80 (after rebate)

It's based on Andyson H6/GX platform which performed quite good in reviews on it's own, no reviews of this particular implementation tho but i think it's safe to say that it's decent a PSU.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

59 minutes ago, Juular said:

30A is 360W, that's about right estimation for total power draw of average system with this GPU under 100% load on both CPU and GPU. But it would be way less in gaming. The reason why they still say that you need 500W PSU even though they also say you need 360W on 12V rail is because there are PSUs that despite say 400W rating - can't deliver full power on 12V rail, mostly group regulated ancient designs which you unfortunately still can buy today (look at tier C&D). If you get a modern PSU with DC-DC secondary topology it would be able to deliver ~95% of it's rated power on 12V rail.

Now about EVGA B5, we don't have any information about it yet but the assumption based on pictures we have yet that it's based on HEC TPK platform or it's derivative which is used in quite good Cougar GX-F PSU but, again, since it's mosty likely modified platform we can't really say how it would perform, but i'd place it in tier B+ temporarily based on info we have yet..

Thanks a ton for the help, side question why is the Seasonic S12III tiered so low? I've heard that the 650W is DC to DC

4 minutes ago, olimmai said:

Thanks a ton for the help, side question why is the Seasonic S12III tiered so low? I've heard that the 650W is DC to DC

Entire Seasonic S12III series are independent regulation, not DC-DC but double mag amp, it would be moved to tier B in the next revision. You might've heard about Seasonic S12II 650W+ which is DC-DC indeed, or rather units with wattage like X50W are DC-DC, whereas X30W ones are group. reg.

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Entire Seasonic S12III series are independent regulation, not DC-DC but double mag amp, it would be moved to tier B in the next revision. You might've heard about Seasonic S12II 650W+ which is DC-DC indeed, or rather units with wattage like X50W are DC-DC, whereas X30W ones are group. reg.

Gotcha I thought independent regulation and DC to DC were synonymous. 

Regardless, would you say the Seasonic S12III 650W (or lower if theyre all independent reg.) is a decent purchase for a budget psu?

4 minutes ago, olimmai said:

Gotcha I thought independent regulation and DC to DC were synonymous. 

Regardless, would you say the Seasonic S12III 650W (or lower if theyre all independent reg.) is a decent purchase for a budget psu?

For smth low powered, like GTX1660 maybe, yes, if it's cheaper than Corsair CX450 and such.

15 minutes ago, Juular said:

For smth low powered, like GTX1660 maybe, yes, if it's cheaper than Corsair CX450 and such.

Would be powering my gtx 670 4gb and like you said I probably don't need much power for that.

It's a bit more expensive than the CX450 but I can't use that one since my gpu needs 2 pci-e 6pin connectors, and the CX550 & CX670 are both more expensive than the S12III

I'm between the S12III and an EVGA 500 GD right now I think. Wish the market wasnt so crazy at the moment.

3 minutes ago, olimmai said:

Would be powering my gtx 670 4gb and like you said I probably don't need much power for that.

If you can't raise a budget for CX550 - yes, it'll do.

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

If you can't raise a budget for CX550 - yes, it'll do.

CX550 is are going for 200% the usual price right now so I'll either get a cheaper unit or wait, but who knows how long. Thanks for the help.

Hello, guys. How've you all been? I'm here to ask about two PSU related websites: JohnnyGuru and Cybernetics. Concerning the Jonnyguru website, are OkalahomaWolf's reviews reliable and how does the Cybernetics website work? For cybernetics lab, do I just go buy the ratings displayed on the website for efficiency, etc?

My GPU needs 2 PCI-E power connectors but the PSU I ordered only has 1 because I didn't think to check like a dumbass.

My GPU came with an adapter that's 2x 4pin (Molex?) to 1x 6pin pci-e. Is that safe to use?

11 minutes ago, olimmai said:

My GPU needs 2 PCI-E power connectors but the PSU I ordered only has 1 because I didn't think to check like a dumbass.

My GPU came with an adapter that's 2x 4pin (Molex?) to 1x 6pin pci-e. Is that safe to use?

What did you order ? And what's your GPU ?

4 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

are OkalahomaWolf's reviews reliable

I would say so, they're just not as detailed as ones by Aris.

4 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

For cybernetics lab, do I just go buy the ratings displayed on the website for efficiency, etc?

Not sure what you're asking here, as in you want to certify your PSU or what ? In this case you better off contacting Cybenetics directly.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

What did you order ? And what's your GPU ?

Corsair CX450 for a GTX 670 FTW 4GB

14 hours ago, olimmai said:

Corsair CX450 for a GTX 670 FTW 4GB

you could get an 8-pin to dual 6-pin pci-e adapter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Hi all!

I'm finishing my first build and I have a nightmare on trying to find a good adequate PSU for my build:

Ill be pairing it with a Ryzen 5 3600 and Radeon RX 5700 XT. I've looked into PSUs to fit into my budget and crossed across the Gamdias Kratos P1 750W Semi Modular.

I've tried to look around for a information related to this PSU but I can't seem to find one. I see it listed as a B Tier here.

That means it will be adequate for my build?

What happened with EVGA G3? I saw it was at D tier earlier and now its up to A-?

23 minutes ago, Demes said:

What happened with EVGA G3? I saw it was at D tier earlier and now its up to A-?

Slight reshuffling of the tiers. Otherwise A/A+ units which suffer from issues that arise in very unlikely scenarios are now placed in A-.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

I'm hearing talk of the be quiet Straight Power 11 being loud under load, can anyone offer some experience?  And loud in what way, the fan noise?

I'm returning mine due to a rattling fan.  I didn't notice it being loud beyond the bad fan, but maybe my system wasn't pushing it that far... or maybe my graphics card fans were drowning it out.

Anyway, what 650w PSU's in the A and A+ range would be noticeably quieter than the Straight Power 11?

55 minutes ago, Netherspark said:

I'm hearing talk of the be quiet Straight Power 11 being loud under load, can anyone offer some experience?  And loud in what way, the fan noise?

I'm returning mine due to a rattling fan.  I didn't notice it being loud beyond the bad fan, but maybe my system wasn't pushing it that far... or maybe my graphics card fans were drowning it out.

Anyway, what PSU's in the A-, A and A+ range would be noticeably quieter than the Straight Power 11?

I don't know what wattage of PSU you are getting But at a similar price/grade, I would take a look at Super Flower Leadex III non-ARGB 650W. That one is in A++ Noise grade. I am planning to get that one buy there seems be a product supply shortage.with the PSU.

1 hour ago, Netherspark said:

Anyway, what PSU's in the A-, A and A+ range would be noticeably quieter than the Straight Power 11?

there's now a new straight power 11, it's platinum version which has improved even more in this, but this is the first report I hear from it being loud personally

a very good place to compare is this: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=power-supplies

it's made by Tomshardware/Kitguru (former)/Techpowerup's Aris and his team

Yeah, I've checked on Cybernetics.  The 650 Gold model isn't reported there for some reason, but judging by the other models it would still likely have a very high rating.

As for the noise, there are a few reviews that just say it gets 'loud' under heavy load.  Which is odd considering they all use the same Silent Wings 3 fan, which is well known for being quiet.  But then again the SW3 fan in mine is rattling at all times.

1 minute ago, Netherspark said:

But then again the SW3 fan in mine is rattling at all times.

you likely had a bad bearing, which can happen. you RMA it back to Listan/BeQuiet and they'll send you a new one with hopefully a good bearing. we call these units lemons

and yes, but most PSUs get louder under heavy loads, BeQuiet is nothing exceptional in this

I have three bq! SW3 fans in my PC (1x120, 2x140), all very quiet, you just were unlucky.

9 minutes ago, Netherspark said:

Yeah, I've checked on Cybernetics.  The 650 Gold model isn't reported there for some reason, but judging by the other models it would still likely have a very high rating.

As for the noise, there are a few reviews that just say it gets 'loud' under heavy load.  Which is odd considering they all use the same Silent Wings 3 fan, which is well known for being quiet.  But then again the SW3 fan in mine is rattling at all times.

Ignore the Lambda rating, look at the fan RPM and noise levels in the report itself. Iirc, the Straight Power 11 is fairly quiet at low-medium loads, but gets louder than e.g. the RMx at higher loads.

Rattling fan is likely a failed fan bearing, which should entitle you for an RMA, or just returning it to the store, like you did.

:)