[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

38 minutes ago, Makarevich said:

Hi, 

Why BeQuiet Straight Power 11 better psu than seasonic prime gold/titanium? 

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because the prime doesn't meet requirements regarding multirail ocp, otherwise it would've been the same tier as the very least

Exhibit "A" in the case against the tier list.  The Straight power is not in the same league as the Seasonic Prime.

Just now, FALC0N said:

Exhibit "A" in the case against the tier list.  The Straight power is not in the same league as the Seasonic Prime.

depends on what you look at

electrical performance you're right

38 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because the prime doesn't meet requirements regarding multirail ocp, otherwise it would've been the same tier as the very least

Thanks. 

One More question about corsair ax1200i, that i found in tier S. I look ax1200i review of russian technoblogger Nitroxsenys. He pointed to Taicon capacitors in byed psu and the quality of production, that are different from review of  Techpowerup

@LukeSavenije Hello, how you doing? Just come across this awesome thread, thanks for this. 

I have bought back in March this year a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinium 850W, I read that you don't recomend it . I have a Xeon E5-1650v2 at 4.5ghz and a Vega 64. I've done a Aida stress test and FurMark together for 35m and no issues. Does this mean my unit is ok ? Thanks

33 minutes ago, Makarevich said:

One More question about corsair ax1200i

that one i prefer to give to @jonnyGURU

29 minutes ago, Into_the_web said:

Does this mean my unit is ok ?

if you checked, there's a link when you click on the name, pointing to a different thread i made. the reason focus 2017 is in tier d was because of a misconfiguration in ocp, which has since been tried to solve in a second revision, but this one showed to have high ripple at 120%

as you're not even close to that point and already have the psu, I'd say it's fine to keep it

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

that one i prefer to give to @jonnyGURU

if you checked, there's a link when you click on the name, pointing to a different thread i made. the reason focus 2017 is in tier d was because of a misconfiguration in ocp, which has since been tried to solve in a second revision, but this one showed to have high ripple at 120%

as you're not even close to that point and already have the psu, I'd say it's fine to keep it

I will be upgrading very soon for a Ryzen 3900x hopefully I don't find any problems. Thanks for the clarification !

28 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Could possibly add a note on the frontpage that this tier list is best used when buying new? The way the tier list is sorted right now has a lot of PSUs that are fine to use - but wouldn't be the best choice buying new - quite low on the list, making people who already own them worried they got a bad unit. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 10/24/2019 at 3:21 AM, LukeSavenije said:

evga does know about it, but haven't done much about it, except soon retiring the product as they mostly cut lines with SuperFlower

Yeap but i think the cut lines is not beacuse the problem of OPP with the super flower has with some models , i thin is more about the tarrifcs made by the goverment , also according to tom's hardware they rate the g5 low than the g3 and recommed to buy the g2 or g3 before vanish from store beacuse look like the quality of g5 is no good compare with g2 and g3 regardless about g3 OPP issues

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Could possibly add a note on the frontpage that this tier list is best used when buying new?

I'll add it to my already long list, but can't give immediate answers to that

and with the popular units like g3 and focus I'm trying with a link, and soon sources to show why it's there. i say tier d is for a reason a tier that's "only dangerous in certain situations" which is why i separated some units from that tier to a lower one that are actually way too old or just straight up bombs

anyway Obiosly i dont recommended any PSU if have issue with protection for high end gaming PC each part cost aloot money , but for me aparently from evga the only good line is g2 p2 and t2

2 minutes ago, Yuniel said:

Yeap but i think the cut lines is not beacuse the problem of OPP with the super flower has with some models , i thin is more about the tarrifcs made by the goverment

and that's completely correct, and as far as I'm aware the reason being to EOL the g2 and g3 models

g5 was worse electrically, which aris cares more about then i do, but i do agree g5 looks pretty meh for something that should be a flagship.

and i must say, aris is a bit weird about the g3. he had a cap housing melt and a psu die on him during testing, but still recommends them (you can check the 850w for the cap, 1000w for the death)

alright so my two cents:

I've had an orange Corsair VS450 in my PC for 1,5 years (bought new) and haven't had a single problem with it. My PC load wattage is about 350-380. It's been a perfect experience really.

1 minute ago, ninko said:

I've had an orange Corsair VS450 in my PC for 1,5 years (bought new) and haven't had a single problem with it

I've seen the same with diabloteks...

7 minutes ago, grmaster said:

any reason why Thermaltake GF1 isnt in tier A?

we added it to tier b+ at the time... I'll have to look back a bit to see why we did... you'll hear later from me

I can say the same about Thermaltake LitePower 450W really, haven't had that one running for as long, only about half a year but no problems with that one either

17 minutes ago, grmaster said:

any reason why Thermaltake GF1 isnt in tier A?

a bit of internal talk... we might move it soon, error on our side

Have you guys checked out the Fractal Design 860W Ion+ Platinum? It seems to have gotten good reviews, so I was wondering at which tier it would be at. I'm planning to buy it or the 850W RMX so would be good to know which one is better.

35 minutes ago, Autumnides said:

Have you guys checked out the Fractal Design 860W Ion+ Platinum?

I've heard about it, but not really looked deep into it... another addition for next revision it is

2 hours ago, ninko said:

I can say the same about Thermaltake LitePower 450W really, haven't had that one running for as long, only about half a year but no problems with that one either

That's fine, but what users don't seem to get is that any scientifically/statistically valid information is not based on 1 person's experience. 

Do you base a decision like what car to buy on the opinion of ONLY one person with the car and whether the engine blew up?  Or do you instead look for a larger sample size (more data) from a good number of people who scrutinized the car in detail and review cars for a living?

Using your logic, I could go out and try to buy the cheapest used car I can find on Craigslist, then retort online to users that my car hasn't blown up yet when I read that reviewers of that car say it's unreliable and poorly made and buyers should look at other cars instead (even with a low budget or used).

tl;dr - one product that does or does not fail affects an individual a lot, but it doesn't show the failure % of an entire batch of that product (info you would want to know before you tell lots of people whether to buy it or not).  You need more data to know that.

4 hours ago, Makarevich said:

Thanks. 

One More question about corsair ax1200i, that i found in tier S. I look ax1200i review of russian technoblogger Nitroxsenys. He pointed to Taicon capacitors in byed psu and the quality of production, that are different from review of  Techpowerup

I don't understand Russian, but I can tell that guy is a hack.

There is ONE Taicon capacitor and it's an additional filter for ripple located on the modular interface.

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

That's fine, but what users don't seem to get is that any scientifically/statistically valid information is not based on 1 person's experience. 

Do you base a decision like what car to buy on the opinion of ONLY one person with the car and whether the engine blew up?  Or do you instead look for a larger sample size (more data) from a good number of people who scrutinized the car in detail and review cars for a living?

Using your logic, I could go out and try to buy the cheapest used car I can find on Craigslist, then retort online to users that my car hasn't blown up yet when I read that reviewers of that car say it's unreliable and poorly made and buyers should look at other cars instead (even with a low budget or used).

tl;dr - one product that does or does not fail affects an individual a lot, but it doesn't show the failure % of an entire batch of that product (info you would want to know before you tell lots of people whether to buy it or not).  You need more data to know that.

Username checks out

That's all I have to say. :D

Well another interesting change to this list, now with the B+ category.

So with that said I am officially planning on replacing my seasonic G series with one of the Tier B+ or A- power supplies.

The FSP Group Hydro G Series HG650 seems appealing

As does its 550W counterpart.

I currently have:

A AMD Ryzen 5 3600

A GTX 1070Ti

Asus Prime X570 pro

2 hard drives

3 case fans

550W is plenty methinks.

I can deal with the pricing on the FSP 550W model and it should be fine if I get a Ryzen 7 or 9 and a RTX card.

May do some overclocking though, thoughts?

I mean there is nothing in Tier A+ or Tier S i can really afford or feel necessary

I mean I can get the be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W but its a bit steep.

14 hours ago, Into_the_web said:

I will be upgrading very soon for a Ryzen 3900x hopefully I don't find any problems. Thanks for the clarification !

Seasonic Focus has problems with GPUs mostly, shutting off randomly with some select ones (Vegas, some designs of nVidia ones), it's a matter of inrush currents AFAIK, it just trips and shutdowns. So CPU is of no difference here. If you don't have problems with your current GPU it'll be fine.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't understand Russian, but I can tell that guy is a hack.

There is ONE Taicon capacitor and it's an additional filter for ripple located on the modular interface.

Translation for you, his complains :

- A LOT of compound on filter caps and chokes (it's a bad thing huh ? that just reduces coil whine i guess).

- One TAICON cap on that vertical board on the side (don't know what's that), MAYBE some TAICON's somewhere under DC-DC (?) transformers (he's not sure and apparently doesn't want to desolder anything lol), and apparently all of caps on modular board are TAICONs also.

- Flux everywhere. I don't see anything on the video honestly, there's like 2 points where it's really visible at most.

Also he has poked it with multi-meter a bit, measured thermals with laser thermometer lol, all that under undisclosed load (if at all). That's it. Typical YT "reviewer".

Tag or quote me so i see your reply